IGNORED

Gatepost - 20 Years Ago

One Team

With no football and awful weather this afternoon I've been tidying stuff up and came across this edition of 'Gatepost', almost 20 years ago to the day, which I thought some of you might like to see. 

As I recall this was a short lived print magazine before the web site started to become the main source of club information.

Whilst its interesting to see how far we've come in 20 years ("re-developing Ashton Gate would be very, very expensive"), in some aspects it's also interesting to see how some things stay the same!

I also noted that in some ways the new shirt price is not actually that bad, considering it was £39.99 20 years ago!

IMG_3602.jpg

IMG_3603.jpg

IMG_3605.jpg

IMG_3606.jpg

IMG_3607.jpg

IMG_3608.jpg

IMG_3609.jpg

I used to enjoy GatePost dropping through the letterbox back in the day.

Laycock’s column and Q&A is refreshing to re-read compared to radio silence from the current board, unless everything’s going well and they like to publicly pat each other on the back. 

SL has cast envying glances at Burnley’s board before, but here we were 20 years ago with a similar setup of several local businessmen ‘done good‘. I’d prefer something similar in 2020, compared to the current dictatorship. 

Bar that Brighton debacle, I enjoyed watching Wilson’s side. He’s probably second only to Cotterill in my favourite City managers.

14 hours ago, tin said:

I used to enjoy GatePost dropping through the letterbox back in the day.

Laycock’s column and Q&A is refreshing to re-read compared to radio silence from the current board, unless everything’s going well and they like to publicly pat each other on the back. 

SL has cast envying glances at Burnley’s board before, but here we were 20 years ago with a similar setup of several local businessmen ‘done good‘. I’d prefer something similar in 2020, compared to the current dictatorship. 

Bar that Brighton debacle, I enjoyed watching Wilson’s side. He’s probably second only to Cotterill in my favourite City managers.

I loved following city during that period.

I felt a real sense of togetherness on and off the pitch.

Great blast  from the past. We have come along way since then though. Look at BS3 now. My great memories from ‘BLAST FROM THE PAST” is a bit different.

Cashley in goal, Trevor Tainton and Bryan Drysdale at left and right backs, we also had Cormack, Gillies, Gow, hovering around mid field spots. Merrick and Rodgers in the central positions in defence, Gary Collier and the sticks Ritchie, Jimmy Manny and also the great P Cheese. Oh Clive Whitehead as well. I remember Clive watching him at reserve games at Ashton gate coming off of the back of an injury, he scored twice and turned the left back of the opposing team in bloody circles, Clive would dodge and weaving all the way to the corner flag and then cut back in just outside the 18 yard box and use his left foot to score some amazing goals.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I remember a lot of artist`s impressions and the like and I think a site had been identified but I don`t recall it going any further than that. No idea why though.

Old history and gossip so why raise it now ? 

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

5th Nocwmbwe 1998 eh @Red Grovesy ??

Benny's first home game around that time? I'm sure I recall GatePost being handed out/sold at the ground that day, it promised a new dawn with a new European manager- vision of PL football and new stadium at Hengrove Park- is my thinking in the right ball park?

Sounds about right, but are you sure about the date?

On 15/11/2020 at 10:06, City oz said:

Old history and gossip so why raise it now ? 

The question was asked, and then answered. 

Why the hostility?

Back on track.... Think I have a gatepost issue from when we signed the "magnificent" seven. Was sorting the loft the other week and sure I saw a copy of it in there with the programmes.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

5th Nocwmbwe 1998 eh @Red Grovesy ??

Benny's first home game around that time? I'm sure I recall GatePost being handed out/sold at the ground that day, it promised a new dawn with a new European manager- vision of PL football and new stadium at Hengrove Park- is my thinking in the right ball park?

Issue number five was November 1988 (not 5th November 1988).

16056073477395376564455647326567.jpg

On 15/11/2020 at 15:01, Redwhitepurple said:

Shirt prices are different to today. 20 years ago overheads and costs of producing small numbers(which we did) along with design were 10times costs of what they are today. Shirts in retrospect today should be around £25, but of course that wont happen 

By my estimates, £40 in 2000 is akin to about £68 today so maybe they represent good value if they are £50 now? (I still think its a bit steep mind!)

Archived