IGNORED

The Formula One Thread

Tipps69

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

At least the Sky presenters didn’t give the handwringing apologies of the football commentators when Toto Wolff told the truth.....

Yeah that annoys me. Simon just said "we'll have to apologise for that", but it was very obvious he'd just said it. Half the football commentators say it and I've not even heard what they are apologising for. If it was really loud into a microphone I could understand it, but who are the people who have complained about bad language in the background of a football match? Has there ever been a complaint?

I used to work in a complaints department for a car manufacturer, and someone actually took the time to call us, lodge a complaint (which probably took them 30 mins) to complain that they saw a cleaner in the showroom heading towards the toilets with a clean toilet brush to replace an old one.

That was it.

Gutting for Russell. "It's all about the car and not the driver" bollocks. He still had to drive it!!

When does Bottas's contract expire? He must be thinking his spot is under threat after that.

After the cock up with the tyre, ended up nearer the back of the grid, and to still pull it back and finish where he did is nothing short of a great drive in It's own right!!

• Like 2

Oof!

Russell comes out with a alot of credit. Perez too of course.

Yeah just piles pressure on Bottas. While I dohope Lewis Hamilton is safe and well, it's more interesting with Russell driving there..

Do away with these pretend satellite teams and just have 4+ works cars with different paint jobs and sponsors please. the more drivers with a real chance to win the better.

Bottas' contract is up after next season.

Hamilton's actually ends this season but I expect he will sign a new one.

Will most likely be Hamilton/Bottas for next season, and Hamilton/Russell for 2022.

Really looking forward to the 2022 season now, with the rule changes coming in for it, McLaren with a Mercedes engine (they have one for next season too, but have to sacrifice other areas of development to make the change), the budget caps as well.

• Admin

This year's Formula 1 season will have a delayed start after the Australian and Chinese Grands Prix were postponed because of Covid-19 restrictions.

The races were first and third on the 2021 calendar and the season is now scheduled to begin with the second race, in Bahrain, on 26-28 March.

Australia and China have strict rules on international arrivals.

The Australian Grand Prix, originally scheduled for 19-21 March, will now take place between 19-21 November.

A race at Imola in Italy has been added from 16-18 April and becomes the second race of the season.

"We are pleased to confirm that the number of races planned for the season remains unchanged," F1 president Stefano Domenicali said.

"The global pandemic has not yet allowed life to return to normal, but we showed in 2020 that we can race safely as the first international sport to return and we have the experience and plans in place to deliver on our season."

F1 says discussions over a new date for the Chinese Grand Prix, which was meant to be held from 9-11 April, are ongoing.

The third race of the season, scheduled for May 2, is yet to be confirmed but it is expected to be filled by Portugal's Portimao circuit following its debut last year.

The dates of the Brazil, Saudi Arabia and Abu Dhabi events have been moved to accommodate the postponed Australia race.

Brazil moves forward one week to 7 November, while the latter two have been pushed back a week to 5 and 12 December respectively.

Only 17 of the 22 scheduled F1 races went ahead in 2020 while the 2021 season is due to have a record 23 races.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

He's a very lucky man that these are his only physical wounds

20210112_214814.jpg

Should have done the lottery that weekend. Still can't believe that he isn't dead after that!!

How he has managed to come away with only those physical wounds/scars, is nothing short of miraculous.

It's been said before, but the modern safety features have proved their worth. He could easily have been killed outright if it wasn't for that halo

So glad he's come out the other side.

Edited by Taz
Deleted something I thought had happened but couldn't find the evidence of it- probably made it up!!

I quite enjoyed the car launch, Ricciardo and Norris should be a good laugh.

This is an interesting video regarding the technical changed to the car yesterday and how it may bring all the cars a bit closer together. It comes across as Mercedes don't seem quite as confident with how much better they'll be, so hopefully it won't be much!

• The title was changed to The Formula One Thread
22 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Can’t believe Hamilton was a lap down and red flag goes so he can unlap himself.

It seems a daft rule, he crashed and had to change his wing but due to an accident on track can get all the time back. 

I can see why people think so but it's always been the rule, and it does make sense. Imagine a restart with a mixed pack, the confusion of some cars being blue flagged and some cars genuinely racing is a recipe for a ruined race.

3 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I can see why people think so but it's always been the rule, and it does make sense. Imagine a restart with a mixed pack, the confusion of some cars being blue flagged and some cars genuinely racing is a recipe for a ruined race.

But if there was no red flag all the cars were out of place any way and were allowed to race normally. 

It just seems a very silly rule and the top 6 who had been careful made no mistakes and kept there cars on the track had no advantage for doing it.

21 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

But if there was no red flag all the cars were out of place any way and were allowed to race normally. 

It just seems a very silly rule and the top 6 who had been careful made no mistakes and kept there cars on the track had no advantage for doing it.

Yes but when they're racing as usual, the impact of lapped cars isn't so bad - there is a marginal impact perhaps for half a lap or so but for the most part it's fine. If they restarted exactly as positioned on track, even from a rolling start, it is far messier.

It's always been the way to be fair, under safety car conditions cars can overtake the SC and unlap themselves, so the restart should be no different. It's not fair no, but it's the easiest remedy, short of having cars restart on differing parts of the circuit or something daft like that. Many parts of the sport aren't as fair as they could be. Not saying this about you by the way, but I've never heard people complain about this before, but as soon as Hamilton benefits from it, plenty online all come out against it.

Put it this way, you could theoretically restart with Verstappen in first, then 2 painfully-slow Haas cars directly behind, then a mix of the Merc's/Perez/Alpine's. Some would be having blue flags, some wouldn't. It would be a complete mess. Allowing them to unlap themselves fixes that.

Edited by nebristolred