IGNORED

The Formula One Thread

Tipps69

• Admin
9 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

It’s nothing to do with Hamilton, that rule has been in place for years over multiple formulas and Hamilton himself has fallen foul of it before 

The rule is in place to ensure there’s no fuel irregularities which can improve performance 

300ml of fuel is more than enough to get a sample for testing, I understand it’s the rule, but it should be a constructors penalty, not the Driver who has no control over that.  Cause a crash that takes out 5 Drivers, get a 5 place grid penalty, use 700ml too much fuel disqualified, F1 is losing the plot with penalties.  

• Like 1

• Admin
5 minutes ago, TomF said:

The trouble is - and I love F1 - is you only get 1-2 races like this a season. If everyone was as good as today it would be pure box office. 

We need to get rid of the awful trucks with no overtaking options and get more of the old school circuit designs on the calendar 

Dreadful race, who wants to see 5 cars out in the first lap.  That may well be the fault of the Driver(s) who caused the incident, but it totally demeans the value of the race, I’d rather see the full field racing the whole race.

22 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

300ml of fuel is more than enough to get a sample for testing, I understand it’s the rule, but it should be a constructors penalty, not the Driver who has no control over that.  Cause a crash that takes out 5 Drivers, get a 5 place grid penalty, use 700ml too much fuel disqualified, F1 is losing the plot with penalties.  

But he potentially could of gained from running illegally, it’s like if you ignore the instruction to go on the weigh bridge you could be disqualified as you now can’t prove you weren’t running underweight, that’s motor racing and it would’ve been the same result had it been Hamilton’s car 

I actually think the 5 place grid penalty is just about right, neither Bottas or Stroll are particularly dirty drivers it was just unfortunate set of circumstances that began with the rain before the start and then making a poor start and ironically the red flag actually hurt Hamilton who’d have lost a stack of places had he pitted or not 

30 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Dreadful race, who wants to see 5 cars out in the first lap.  That may well be the fault of the Driver(s) who caused the incident, but it totally demeans the value of the race, I’d rather see the full field racing the whole race.

Actually the 5 cars out created the race which many are calling the race of the season, you wouldn’t have seen good news stories like a first time winner or Williams scoring points instead it probably would’ve been a Hamilton victory 

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

What!? Obviously ideally we'd have a race with that much excitement with every driver finishing, but that was the complete opposite of a dreadful race.

Who wants to see Hamilton and Verstappen racing out to a 35 second lead every race? I'd much rather see some drama, overtaking, tactical pitstops.

• Like 1

The rule is "teams must ensure a one-litre sample of fuel can be taken from the car at any time during the event". If they can't fulfil that then the penalty is disqualification i.e. taking away points which is what you suggested anyway?

35 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

I actually think the 5 place grid penalty is just about right, neither Bottas or Stroll are particularly dirty drivers it was just unfortunate set of circumstances that began with the rain before the start and then making a poor start and ironically the red flag actually hurt Hamilton who’d have lost a stack of places had he pitted or not 

I agree, both drivers were caught out by the conditions and the cars actions in front of them causing Bottas to lock his wheel and career into Norris while Stroll was trying to avoid an Alpine I think, tried an escape but got caught on the grass and couldn't stop. They weren't trying any stupid overtakes or driving recklessly.

11 minutes ago, grifty said:

I agree, both drivers were caught out by the conditions and the cars actions in front of them causing Bottas to lock his wheel and career into Norris while Stroll was trying to avoid an Alpine I think, tried an escape but got caught on the grass and couldn't stop. They weren't trying any stupid overtakes or driving recklessly.

Bottas admitted his cock up and good on him, that first corner, in the wet, was always going to be carnage. I did smile at Vettell stating his crap start gave him 2nd though.

personally, I loved that GP, absolutely loved it! 

• Admin
8 hours ago, grifty said:

What!? Obviously ideally we'd have a race with that much excitement with every driver finishing, but that was the complete opposite of a dreadful race.

Who wants to see Hamilton and Verstappen racing out to a 35 second lead every race? I'd much rather see some drama, overtaking, tactical pitstops.

Not for me, I’d rather see the best drivers and the best cars on the circuit for the full race, otherwise what’s the point of it.

3 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Not for me, I’d rather see the best drivers and the best cars on the circuit for the full race, otherwise what’s the point of it.

I get what you mean, and we see that probably 9 times out of 10, but when a race is thrown up when the two favourites can’t win and there’s drama allowing an unfavoured winner, those are the races that stand out to me.

13 hours ago, TomF said:

The trouble is - and I love F1 - is you only get 1-2 races like this a season. If everyone was as good as today it would be pure box office. 

We need to get rid of the awful trucks with no overtaking options and get more of the old school circuit designs on the calendar 

Thing is, this track is one where overtaking is usually very difficult, and it's been part of the grid for decades.

It's only because Mercedes and Red Bull are so far clear of the rest in performance that they were able to climb back through at all, and even Hamilton was struggling for a while.

12 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Can't help feel for Verstappen though.

Can't agree there.

All the hysteria from Red Bull over the last fortnight has made me want them to fail.

This time he was a completely innocent person caught up in it, but the person I feel for is Norris.

Made the best start of anyone off the line, gets up into 3rd but is the first person Bottas hits, forced to retire after having had the longest consecutive points finishes of anyone on the grid.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

All the hysteria from Red Bull over the last fortnight has made me want them to fail.

It has certainly made the season more interesting. Karen Horner being a little OTT, but all teams are the same. Cannot wait for the Dutch GP - that could be dynamite

• Admin

It’s certainly spiced it up and I can perfectly understand Red Bull’s angst at the cost of these two incidents, this could hit them towards the tail end of the season as the financial limits come into play.  I think they have a point that in circumstances like being taken out of a race, the costs should sit outside the budget constraints.

Can’t see Bottas being a Mercedes driver next year, don’t think Mercedes would get rid mid-season, but who knows?

4D32205D-C09A-447B-916B-54F126036F0F.jpeg

On 02/08/2021 at 14:10, Maesknoll Red said:

It’s certainly spiced it up and I can perfectly understand Red Bull’s angst at the cost of these two incidents, this could hit them towards the tail end of the season as the financial limits come into play.  I think they have a point that in circumstances like being taken out of a race, the costs should sit outside the budget constraints.

Can’t see Bottas being a Mercedes driver next year, don’t think Mercedes would get rid mid-season, but who knows?

4D32205D-C09A-447B-916B-54F126036F0F.jpeg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/11/football-team-relegated-not-being-in-drop-zone-all-season-the-knowledge

Sorry, you’ve lost me….

You posted a graphic of laps led.

As sports has shown many times, time spent leading (or as the case in the article, in the relegation zone, like Bristol Rovers in 2014) is irrelevant.

The only bit that matters is where they are at the end.

• Admin
2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

You posted a graphic of laps led.

As sports has shown many times, time spent leading (or as the case in the article, in the relegation zone, like Bristol Rovers in 2014) is irrelevant.

The only bit that matters is where they are at the end.

Not sure football and F1 are comparable, if either Hamilton or Verstappen aren’t the champion at the end of this season, it’s because something serious has stopped them racing for a elongated spell.

40 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Not sure football and F1 are comparable, if either Hamilton or Verstappen aren’t the champion at the end of this season, it’s because something serious has stopped them racing for a elongated spell.

It applies, but on a race by race basis.

Doesn't matter if you lead for 71 laps out of 72, if you don't cross the at the end in 1st you don't win even if you were overtaken on the last corner.

Take that to the extreme and you can have someone win the championship without leading a race for a full lap combined over the season.

• Admin
15 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

Imagine the meltdown had Lewis got pole and been gifted a race win, just seems very cynical to have a small procession behind the safety car to achieve a classification 

I’m no fan of Hamilton, but fair play to him for stating the fans should get their money back, I hope that 2 laps doesn’t constitute a race in regards to ticket refunds.

38 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I’m no fan of Hamilton, but fair play to him for stating the fans should get their money back, I hope that 2 laps doesn’t constitute a race in regards to ticket refunds.

I suspect it will because they did the two laps to achieve a classification and they went through with the farcical podium too, whether external pressure is applied to give refunds remains to be seen 

6 hours ago, TomF said:

So Russell to Mercedes.  No surprise but should be interesting to see how Lewis deals with it

There won't be any issues.

It's just the media shit stirring.

Only teammate Hamilton had a notable issue with was Rosberg.

Alonso- nothing (not from Hamiltons end, but Alonso didnt like a rookie outperforming him in season one when he himself was in his prime)

Kovalainen- nothing 

Button- minor argument over the crash in Canada 2011? As would be expected when teammates crash. Other than that nothing of note.

Bottas- put over by Hamilton as his favourite teammate to ghve worked with a day or two ago, very clearly no issues there.

Hamilton is now approaching the end of an incredibly successful career and while he will still want wins will be well aware that part of his remit over the next two seasons is to mould Russell into being the next champion, as his talent is there for all to see.

• Like 2