IGNORED

The Formula One Thread

Tipps69

3 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I'm not sure you can take the title back off Max, he's not at fault its basically the FIA that needs their teeth pulled, they ruined what would have been a great race by fixing it for Redbull.  Massi in my opinion needs to be removed for next season and Mercedes compensated. 

Why not? I agree it's not his fault, but they arbitrarily changed the rules on the last lap at the request of the team he drives for. They essentially took away Hamilton's title when he is not at fault. Why can you take the title from one but not the other?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arsene's Wanger said:

Ethics perhaps? Sporting integrity?

And even if that argument can be waved at others in the same position, it somewhat reduces sympathy for them if it was overturned! Can’t believe many would be thinking “poor innocent Max/Christian/Red Bull, they’ve been robbed.”

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Hopefully he goes after all this.

He red flagged Baku as well so it would end under race conditions rather than a safety car, so no reason he couldn't have done the same here if that was the motivation. 

Admittedly that was a faster section of track.

14 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Imagine what the Mercedes lawyers will do with that? I see litigation after litigation here.

Maybe as @TonyTonyTony suggested 'dual' World Champions?

9 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Like Toto earlier in the race telling Masi not to yellow flag something so Max wouldn't be right behind Lewis? They're both as bad as each other

Agree, but therefore no sympathy if overturned.  

6 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Think problem is that probably comes from the race result being voided, in which case Red Bull say “fine, Max is World Champion on most wins”, to which Mercedes say “we were winning that race comfortably, so shouldn’t be voided”. Can see it going to Court of Arbitration and hope it does, less for who wins 2021 season as feels hollow all round now, more to sort this cluster out for future. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Imagine what the Mercedes lawyers will do with that? I see litigation after litigation here.

I too can see that happening.

I want to see them both back at the track, 10 laps on supersofts, no limit on DRS. Winner takes all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arsene's Wanger said:

I too can see that happening.

I want to see them both back at the track, 10 laps on supersofts, no limit on DRS. Winner takes all.

Horner is too snide for that to happen, he wasn’t exactly gracious in victory yesterday even knowing it had been handed on a plate. 

F1 now has a serious problem, it’s alienated it’s core support and if it backtracks it’ll alienate its new support. So the least worst option i guess is to keep Max as champion. But the very least they need to do is acknowledge how unsatisfactory it is and the role they’ve played in it 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TomF said:

I think that's his age/maturity and probably also remember what it was like to win it first time himself.   He's certainly moved on from the days when Nico won it. 

The only good thing to come out of this farce is how dignified Hamilton has been. He's handled a situation where 99% of us would have exploded with rage, really well. He's actually come across as the real winner in all of this when you consider how RB were wildly celebrating what the rest of the world could see was a hollow victory. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Arsene's Wanger said:

The only good thing to come out of this farce is how dignified Hamilton has been. He's handled a situation where 99% of us would have exploded with rage, really well. He's actually come across as the real winner in all of this when you consider how RB were wildly celebrating what the rest of the world could see was a hollow victory. 

OR 3 line whip pending legal challenges

On 14/12/2021 at 03:12, nebristolred said:

Yeah Hamilton’s response was so mature, there’s not a chance that I could have responded like that. An absolute gent in that regard on Sunday.

Absolutely, he did the press etc and showed huge composure and dignity, top man . I’d have been boiling mad ,and he probably was ,but handled it better than I could’ve done ..fair play to him 

• Like 2

Apparently Mercedes F1 and Formula E teams have boycotted the prize giving photos in Paris so they’re still mad about it 

If they withdraw their protests that shouldn’t let the FIA off the hook but i fear it might, it already seems to be in the too difficult to resolve pile as most commentators seem to have moved onto Max being champion being good for the sport but completely leaving out how it came about 

Edited by East Londoner

I’d like Mercedes to push this all the way to CAS, but to be honest I don’t see an outcome that awards the race to Hamilton for being in the lead of the penultimate lap. I can see a scenario of the race result being made null and void, but obviously that still ends up with Verstappen being champion on race wins.

I think Sunday’s result being stricken from the records and the end of Masi is the best possible outcome unfortunately.

We may even see a rule change that says if there is a Safety Car with less than 5/10 laps remaining you Red Flag the race, allow everyone to change tyres and have a restart. Had that happened Sunday it would still have been unfair on Hamilton and given Verstappen a chance he didn’t deserve, but had he taken it, or Hamilton had messed up, then, fair enough, that’s sport, shit happens.

What did happen however isn’t sport. At best, it’s WWE, at worst it’s nothing more than a ******* fix.

• Like 2