IGNORED

The Formula One Thread

Tipps69

2 hours ago, Midred said:

Is it the mercedes cars this year or has Hamilton lost his mojo after the farcical end to last season?

2 hours ago, Super said:

Bit of both I reckon.

Russell doesn't seem to be struggling too much with it does he?

For it to be so close last year, then compare it to now, something has either gone seriously wrong at Mercedes, or Red Bull does indeed give you wings!! 

I've not seen/heard much about Hamilton moaning about it though (could have missed it), so does make you wonder if he's just going through the motions.

14 minutes ago, Taz said:

Russell doesn't seem to be struggling too much with it does he?

For it to be so close last year, then compare it to now, something has either gone seriously wrong at Mercedes, or Red Bull does indeed give you wings!! 

I've not seen/heard much about Hamilton moaning about it though (could have missed it), so does make you wonder if he's just going through the motions.

Yeah he was undecided about carrying on, wonder if he's seeing how this season pans out?

• Like 1

On 13/06/2022 at 02:26, Midred said:

Is it the mercedes cars this year or has Hamilton lost his mojo after the farcical end to last season?

On 13/06/2022 at 02:28, Super said:

Bit of both I reckon.

Toto Wolff has said that Hamilton has been trying the more experimental setups, at the further extreme ends of setup to try to help fix the porpoising. That's not to knock Russell, he's had a perfect start and might well be quicker than Hamilton, but it seems Hamilton has been tasked with trying to fix the car in races rather than push it.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, phantom said:

Just like that Mercedes season is over 

20220616_201402.jpg

Feels like it's going to destroy the whole season as Ferrari were at least close to matching the pace of the RB with their bouncing but surely won't touch them if they have to raise the ride height. Unless these teams suddenly find a way to resolve it, it could be a very boring season. 

Small crumb of comfort is that at least after Canada, we go to a few actual racetracks rather than street circuits where the bouncing seems to be contained. 

Edited by InCyder
  • Like 1

• Admin

I’m certainly not a Hamilton fan, but I wouldn’t want to see him end his career because the car design makes it impossible for him to put up with the pain inflicted by the design.  

Interesting there was a lot of concern for the Ferrari reliability after Sundays race, when Verstappen and Leclerc have 2 technical DNF’s each.  Long way to go yet, some of these cars may well develop more issues with reliability due to the porpoising you can only insulate components from excessive vibration so much.

15 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Well that was an afternoon’s entertainment you’d struggle to beat. 

I was out all day, normally I would just check my phone and see who won and watch the highlights on Channel 4 if I wasn't at home.

For some reason yesterday decided to record the whole race instead and watch it stupidly late at night, do not regret that decision at all this morning!

Great race and great to have for large portions of the race multiple drivers in a position to win! 

16 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

That could of been very nasty for Carlos Sainz 

Is there a reason for no handbrakes in cars? Space in vehicle/ any added weight? Kinda shows the reason why one could be needed in a car, activated by a button on the wheel or something 

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Is there a reason for no handbrakes in cars? Space in vehicle/ any added weight? Kinda shows the reason why one could be needed in a car, activated by a button on the wheel or something 

SPORTS

Do F1 Cars Have Handbrakes?

The braking system in F1 cars draws some similarities with their on-road counterparts, but a hand brake isn’t one of them. Similar to a road car, however, the brakes on an F1 car work on all four wheels.

Although the addition of handbrakes would ensure another level of safety, there is no place in an F1 monocoque for the device. Additionally, it wouldn’t make sense to install a hand brake for the drivers. An F1 car has a complex braking system that is composed of two circuits of brakes. This means that in case of a braking failure, the second circuit takes over.

Found here.

A parking brake of some sort would have helped a bit yesterday, but in fairness Sainz would have been more interested in just getting out of the car as quickly as possible, so could easily have not put it on anyway.

Could have been a completely different conversation we'd be having if he'd have been a bit slower getting out.

• Thanks 2

Thing yesterday was he didn’t get out because the car was just rolling backwards when he didn’t have the brakes on and he was stopping it from rolling back down to the track. if he could have applied something to stop the car moving he’d have been out quicker as he wouldn’t have had to wait for assistance with keeping the car still.