IGNORED

The Formula One Thread

Tipps69

I still can never believe people lump Max and Lewis in the same bracket as moaners.

Lewis will question the teams decisions, but is always very complimentary of other drivers, teams and his teammates (Rosberg aside) whereas Max is very selfish, rude and sweary at his.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TomF said:

Well there you go max, you cost your team mate 2nd place. What a truly *** of a human being you are. *** 

I only saw bits of the race plus rerun of the start. Am I right in thinking that you don't get penalised for driving another car off the track but person driven off is then investigated for possibly taking a short cut?

Also first race seen for ages and couldn't work out at the pitstops how they can just lift the old wheel off and put the new one on without any bolts! What is this sourcery?

I know it’s only the first race but this doesn’t bode well for the season with Max running and hiding from pole and the rest being pretty boring. At least when Mercedes were dominating there was action at the front albeit between themselves. 

Ironic really after the excitement of 2021 before the controversy of Abu Dhabi 

The Mercedes just looks so off the pace compared to the Red Bulls and Ferrari's. Last season could have just been an off season for them, but the way they were this weekend, it looks like they'll be lucky to get anywhere near the top 3/4 in the drivers championship.

As for Ocon, spent half the race in the pits didn't he? :laughcont:

3 hours ago, Taz said:

The Mercedes just looks so off the pace compared to the Red Bulls and Ferrari's. Last season could have just been an off season for them, but the way they were this weekend, it looks like they'll be lucky to get anywhere near the top 3/4 in the drivers championship.

As for Ocon, spent half the race in the pits didn't he? :laughcont:

Yeah but they have Lewis driving for them  so they will win races

As we were told by LH fans it is NOT the car that wins it because Lewis is driving it!!!!!

or may be LH only won when he had the best car SHOCK

• Confused 1

Seems it's finally hit Mercedes that their concept is not going to work - think this could be a write-off year for them as they're obviously going to have to re-think it. Pretty embarrassing to be beaten by their own customer team in Aston Martin.

15 hours ago, Midred said:

When Lotus were winning everything in the 70's the FIA changed the rules. Can we hope for the same here or are Red Bull still too close to them?

They pretty much changed the rules to stop the Mercedes domination over the past years, and in doing so they've gone and created a Red Bull domination instead, changing the rules to benefit ground effect cars which is Newey's speciality. Considering that man can design amazing cars under any set of regulations, switching to what he is best at means having him is pretty much a cheat code. That combined with Red Bull managing to spend more than the other teams, and this is result.

This could genuinely be a 23/23 for Red Bull at first glance, they seem so far ahead. Shame they're such a dislikable lot.

• Like 1

• Admin
13 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Easy way to stop that

Ban Adrian Newey from designing F1 cars

Most talented man in F1 bar none

Aerodynamic genius.  There has always been periods of domination in F1, I can’t see RB winning every race, Leclerc will win a race or two, if Ferrari don’t screw up strategy at crucial times and even Alonso.  The RB wasn’t dominant at every track last year and won’t be at this year either.  

What they seem to have got right with the car - along with the aerodynamics (and that maybe closely tied) is the tyre life, they seem to suffer less degradation, although Max could drive a race that didn’t stress his tyres, but Perez had to put more heat into his and still didn’t suffer with the loss of grip the others did.

What else can Aston Martin do! Looks like an inspired move by Alonso and he brings a wealth of experience to the team, still great to watch and I’m sure they will have some improvements.  The cost cap will be what stops Mercedes redeveloping the car into a genuine contender this season.  Wolff doesn’t like it does he, but he now knows what other teams felt like during their dominance, in a time when they could spend limitless amounts on development.

Most important thing is that Haas don’t sack Gunther, he’s the reason I watch Drive to Survive….. ?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Make him work for McLaren

He did before, his cars there won a couple of drivers championships and 1 constructors, probably could have been more were it not during the period of Ferrari dominance.

The story around his development of the MP4-18 is actually a fascinating one. At the time it was supposed to be his most advanced design and super compact, particularly at the back which is the norm today. But by all accounts it was a dreadful car reliability-wise, would very rarely not catch fire, sent Wurz into the barriers in an enormous crash during testing, also made Raikkonen crash in Barcelona (which was blamed on him!). Pedro de la Rosa said he was scared to get into it, it was about as dangerous as it gets at the time and it never raced.

It shows that even the best get it wrong sometimes, perhaps he had a few ideas that were ahead of his time back in 2004.

39 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

I hope I'm proved wrong but got a feeling this season will be one of the most boring for a long time.

If the Red Bulls dominate as expected I just hope Perez keeps doing well to at least make it a bit more interesting.

At least the midfield battle is looking good.

I'd be miffed if I was a red bull sponsor. Looks like they will be getting next to no airtime ?

• Haha 1