Jump to content
IGNORED

The Formula One Thread


Tipps69
 Share

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

But if there was no red flag all the cars were out of place any way and were allowed to race normally. 
 

It just seems a very silly rule and the top 6 who had been careful made no mistakes and kept there cars on the track had no advantage for doing it.

Yes but when they're racing as usual, the impact of lapped cars isn't so bad - there is a marginal impact perhaps for half a lap or so but for the most part it's fine. If they restarted exactly as positioned on track, even from a rolling start, it is far messier.

It's always been the way to be fair, under safety car conditions cars can overtake the SC and unlap themselves, so the restart should be no different. It's not fair no, but it's the easiest remedy, short of having cars restart on differing parts of the circuit or something daft like that. Many parts of the sport aren't as fair as they could be. Not saying this about you by the way, but I've never heard people complain about this before, but as soon as Hamilton benefits from it, plenty online all come out against it.

Put it this way, you could theoretically restart with Verstappen in first, then 2 painfully-slow Haas cars directly behind, then a mix of the Merc's/Perez/Alpine's. Some would be having blue flags, some wouldn't. It would be a complete mess. Allowing them to unlap themselves fixes that.

Edited by nebristolred
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Yes but when they're racing as usual, the impact of lapped cars isn't so bad - there is a marginal impact perhaps for half a lap or so but for the most part it's fine. If they restarted exactly as positioned on track, even from a rolling start, it is far messier.

It's always been the way to be fair, under safety car conditions cars can overtake the SC and unlap themselves, so the restart should be no different. It's not fair no, but it's the easiest remedy, short of having cars restart on differing parts of the circuit or something daft like that. Many parts of the sport aren't as fair as they could be. Not saying this about you by the way, but I've never heard people complain about this before, but as soon as Hamilton benefits from it, plenty online all come out against it.

Put it this way, you could theoretically restart with Verstappen in first, then 2 painfully-slow Haas cars directly behind, then a mix of the Merc's/Perez/Alpine's. Some would be having blue flags, some wouldn't. It would be a complete mess. Allowing them to unlap themselves fixes that.

They could line up on the grid in the formation the race was stopped in and start with those in the places behind the leader going at the time they were behind him when the race started, lapped cars would start from the pit lane and come out after those in front had completed a lap.   That idea might need some tweaking, but whilst Hamilton is a brilliant driver, he got two huge advantages in that race, the DRS allowed him to smash the fastest lap, which the lead car was never going to be able to do in the remaining time because of track position.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

They could line up on the grid in the formation the race was stopped in and start with those in the places behind the leader going at the time they were behind him when the race started, lapped cars would start from the pit lane and come out after those in front had completed a lap.   That idea might need some tweaking, but whilst Hamilton is a brilliant driver, he got two huge advantages in that race, the DRS allowed him to smash the fastest lap, which the lead car was never going to be able to do in the remaining time because of track position.

 

 

 

 

How would that work? If a lap time is 1:20, and a few cars are  1:19 behind, they would be starting with a few cars coming full blast directly behind them, which is about as dangerous a situation as you could get.

There's a reason this is the way it's done. And you can complain about Hamilton getting luck all you like, but this happens to drivers every time there is a red flag, why is it only an issue now?

Pierre Gasly got incredibly lucky by timing his pit just before Leclerc crashed at Monza last year, and won the race. It's part of the sport and something the teams probably factor in.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nebristolred said:

How would that work? If a lap time is 1:20, and a few cars are  1:19 behind, they would be starting with a few cars coming full blast directly behind them, which is about as dangerous a situation as you could get.

There's a reason this is the way it's done. And you can complain about Hamilton getting luck all you like, but this happens to drivers every time there is a red flag, why is it only an issue now?

Pierre Gasly got incredibly lucky by timing his pit just before Leclerc crashed at Monza last year, and won the race. It's part of the sport and something the teams probably factor in.

I said it would need some tweaking, I am allowed to have the opinion that gaining an advantage after an error, by another drivers error isn’t what I like to see.  It wouldn’t be difficult to come up with a solution, it’s an innovative multi million pound business.  
 

Maybe DRS should be available to cars in clear air as well, that would give everyone an equal footing on lap times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I said it would need some tweaking, I am allowed to have the opinion that gaining an advantage after an error, by another drivers error isn’t what I like to see.  It wouldn’t be difficult to come up with a solution, it’s an innovative multi million pound business.  
 

Maybe DRS should be available to cars in clear air as well, that would give everyone an equal footing on lap times.

Of course you are, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise 👍. But if there is a better way of doing it, then by all means they could or should trial it, but it's been this way for years with no question, probably because there's no other easy solution. And I'm sure they leave it this way to restore a bit of excitement as well. Luck theoretically should balance out on this over a career.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, TomF said:

Even by Monaco’s standards this is an absolute borefest. Either they need to come up with a better track or just remove it from the calendar 

Agreed. Too many playing it safe and taking virtually no chances to overtake. Even Hamilton didn't/couldn't really do much.

24 minutes ago, Midred said:

Lando Norris in third place. Was he the driver that SL/Bristol Sport used to sponsor? Would he be interested in a Robins sticker on his car?

Yep Norris signs up for Bristol Sport

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Even by Monaco’s standards this is an absolute borefest. Either they need to come up with a better track or just remove it from the calendar 

The cars have outgrown the track the problem is the whole prestige of Monaco means we’re probably stuck with it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/06/2021 at 15:05, Maesknoll Red said:

Oh dear Pirelli, looks like another race screwed up by tyre failures.

And the outcome of the investigation is that the failures were caused by debris.

What an absolute load of rubbish, who on earth could have come up with that conclusion.... Oh Pirelli were investigating themselves that explains it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

And the outcome of the investigation is that the failures were caused by debris.

What an absolute load of rubbish, who on earth could have come up with that conclusion.... Oh Pirelli were investigating themselves that explains it!

Did you see the tyre on Stroll’s car - looked like the side wall had detached, it would be interesting to see the actual reports on the tyres, including those that didn’t fail, but had done similar laps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Did you see the tyre on Stroll’s car - looked like the side wall had detached, it would be interesting to see the actual reports on the tyres, including those that didn’t fail, but had done similar laps.

I did see that, looked like a total failure of the tyre.

Well Red Bull stated they had absolutely no warning from the data before Verstappens let go, as you say wonder how many others may have failed if the race was a few laps longer. Reminded me of Silverstone a few years back! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Looks like a hell of a party in the Red Bull Ring today, Orange shirts, orange smoke flares and plenty of beer by the look of it.

And that rendition of the National Anthem was one of the greatest things I've ever seen! Watching the various dignitaries etc. trying to look serious through it was funny as.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think I predicted a Hamilton Championship but Red Bull constructors Championship on a poll somewhere before the season.

Starting to think I might have had it the wrong was around.

 

I know Red Bull are ahead, but Bottas had a nightmare with various bits of bad luck through the start of the season which would have left them almost identical.

Edited by JamesBCFC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
10 minutes ago, RedM said:

Dirty move by Lewis. Glad Max is ok

I’d have said 50/50 at best and Max’s driving up till then was questionable anyway.

Horner is an absolute cry baby that’s for sure 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...