IGNORED

Belgium v England.

BCFC1512

Carragher is right about the pockets of space which England are not finding at the moment. 

Playing the formation they are playing does not allow for it unless kane drops very deep. Which he can do, but when 2-0 down, you need someone else to be there. 

Mount is not a winger in my book. Put him in the number 10 role or even a deep lying playmaker, and I think we'll create a lot more. 

But it means we cannot play out beloved 7-0-3 formation

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Wouldn’t be anywhere near the side if we had options of decent central defenders. Compare with the current lot to when we had the choices out of JT, Rio, Sol, Adams, King etc. 

We really have struggled to produce any decent central midfielders over recent years. A position we used to be spoilt for choice for.

5 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Wouldn’t be anywhere near the side if we had options of decent central defenders. Compare with the current lot to when we had the choices out of JT, Rio, Sol, Adams, King etc. 

We can't get the balance right. 

There was lots of focus by the FA a few years back for a higher class of technical players because that's the way the game was going. And yes. Going forward we have plenty of attacking options when all fit. 

It just means less focus on centre backs and the art of defending. Not even advance defending. Some of it is so basic.

Edit - honestly, Webster cannot be too far off getting a call up. 

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

This is our big problem

We also had full backs who could defend

Won nothing with those very good defenders in the team So what chance do we have we the current lot?

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

What exactly did Rice and Henderson contribute in that first half. They just seem very negative choices to me. 

I must be watching a different game. Two mistakes, one by a player who shouldn’t be there and one by a referee who shouldn’t be there have cost us. Otherwise we have been comfortably the better side. Football is brutal at this level.

3 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

What exactly did Rice and Henderson contribute in that first half. They just seem very negative choices to me. 

Don’t see what many seem to see in Rice , and Henderson is coasting - looks like he’s more intent on not getting injured or using too much energy

Grealish has done ok but Kane looks head and shoulders above most of our players 

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I must be watching a different game. Two mistakes, one by a player who shouldn’t be there and one by a referee who shouldn’t be there have cost us. Otherwise we have been comfortably the better side. Football is brutal at this level.

Ive enjoyed watching us - think we have done ok today so far 

28 minutes ago, 2015 said:

7 defensive minded players. You are joking me aren't you.

Southgate aint up to the job i'm afraid.

The wing backs are attack minded. Could argue Henderson is too, definitely for club despite being in that “holding” role, his job is to get the ball forward.

Inagree the tide is turning on Southgate a little now but I don’t agree it’s 7 defenders on a pitch.

Unlucky to get a header cleared off the line. Belgiums first goal a lucky deflection following sloppy play by England. Their second came from a free kick that should have not have been given.

Main difference is that Belgium take their chances and we continue to keep passing until we lose the ball.

This is a game that we need to win to stay in the competition, but that looks pretty unlikely now.

Could have been worse had Eden Hazard been available I fear, but we must test Courtois more in the 2nd half.

14 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

You need Henderson in that England team but playing someone like Rice alongside him is baffling.

Let Henderson sit and get two positive choices in front of him, Grealish and Mount more central as part of a three.

Can’t stand Southgate, just something about him. No doubting that World Cup was one to remember but it’s majorly papered over the cracks - can’t forget we lost 3 games in that tournament anyway. Had the easiest run you could ask for to a semi final and only just edged past Coloumbia on penalties. 

He’s not the man for the job.

1 minute ago, Rob k said:

Grealish is one of those players that i Just like watching, gets the ball and runs at people, he’s a very good player i think 

He is and he get a kicking from opponents too and just gets on with it.

No doubt he'll ll be dropped when Rashford/Sterling/Sancho are available though sadly. Southgate has his favourites. 

3 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

He is and he get a kicking from opponents too and just gets on with it.

No doubt he'll ll be dropped when Rashford/Sterling/Sancho are available though sadly. Southgate has his favourites. 

Grealish will be a big player for us if as you say Southgate has the balls to pick him when it matters.

1 minute ago, Henry said:

Harry Winks showing how you sit deep but still pass forward and dictate play. Has to start over Rice.

I’m not watching, but I really rate Winks.  You sum him up perfectly.

Rice is young, he’s a talent, but he ain’t ready for the role at this stage of his career.

Archived