IGNORED

Ray Clemence

E.G.Red

It’s sad, but a lot of the players from my youth are no longer with us. When you’re young death seems to be a long way away but when you’re a older, like me, news like this makes you think......,

In other words, enjoy life whilst you can 

I can remember being very surprised when as a kid watching us play Liverpool he, unlike every other keeper, got applauded by the East End .

I presumed it was because he was Peter Shiltons big rival for the England jersey and all city fans hated Shilton.

I often wondered if he was surprised at getting a good reception from opposition fans when the normal was non stop abuse

41 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I can remember being very surprised when as a kid watching us play Liverpool he, unlike every other keeper, got applauded by the East End .

I presumed it was because he was Peter Shiltons big rival for the England jersey and all city fans hated Shilton.

I often wondered if he was surprised at getting a good reception from opposition fans when the normal was non stop abuse

I remember that. 

He got clapped by the East End for Spurs too. 

Shilton and him would play a international each

25 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It’s sad, but a lot of the players from my youth are no longer with us. When you’re young death seems to be a long way away but when you’re a older, like me, news like this makes you think......,

Was thinking the same, so many heroes of my younger days are passing away - You think you are a long way off meeting your maker but it creeps up on you and you wonder where has that time gone 

22 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Exactly that.

The Shilton/Clemence rivalry for the England no.1 shirt was huge & Shilton was hated because of what happened to Big Cheese.

Clemence always got a rapturous reception before the game kicked off with chants of “England’s no.1”.

Didn’t stop every City fan wanting him to concede when the match had started, though.

RIP.

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Exactly that.

The Shilton/Clemence rivalry for the England no.1 shirt was huge & Shilton was hated because of what happened to Big Cheese.

Clemence always got a rapturous reception before the game kicked off with chants of “England’s no.1”.

Didn’t stop every City fan wanting him to concede when the match had started, though.

RIP.

Maybe he holds the record for having the best reception at Ashton Gate for a player never to play for us. Seemed a decent guy, so worthy of the title

43 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Yeah, like you I'm at that age where when someone dies you're torn between thinking "wow, I didn't think they were still alive" and then like with Ray, "crikey,  he's not much older than me!" 

Another very sad day. Far too many of them this year.

When I seen his name as the thread title, my head just dropped & I said to myself “Oh no, he’s not gone has he?”

Very sad news, a lot of players from days gone by are now leaving us on a regular basis & it’s all very sad to hear & it does now make me realise that I’m no longer young at 48!

Makes you realise just how fragile life is. Keep an eye on your health guys. Clemence had prostate cancer which is sadly so common. Get your PSA checked. I didn't even know what it was but when I went for a routine cholesterol check I was told my PSA was high. Had a biopsy but thankfully all was clear. If these things are nipped in the bud you stand a better chance of survival. Sorry to be morbid but death is all around us. Take care all.

Sad news and a real shame, especially as prostate cancer can usually be treated fairly easily if caught quickly enough. Always seemed like a nice bloke. Also kicking out of his hands he looked so languid but could basically send it to the edge of the opposition penalty area. Guardiola wouldn’t approve but that’s immediately put the other team on the back foot, possession or not!

RIP.

Archived