IGNORED

Ray Clemence

E.G.Red

4 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

When I seen his name as the thread title, my head just dropped & I said to myself “Oh no, he’s not gone has he?”

Very sad news, a lot of players from days gone by are now leaving us on a regular basis & it’s all very sad to hear & it does now make me realise that I’m no longer young at 48!

48 is young when you get to my age, I'm close to 73 & lost mates in my teens in road accidents & now seeing mates around me disappear makes you realise how fragile life can be at any age.

RIP  RC

3 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

Makes you realise just how fragile life is. Keep an eye on your health guys. Clemence had prostate cancer which is sadly so common. Get your PSA checked. I didn't even know what it was but when I went for a routine cholesterol check I was told my PSA was high. Had a biopsy but thankfully all was clear. If these things are nipped in the bud you stand a better chance of survival. Sorry to be morbid but death is all around us. Take care all.

As we get older, the majority of men have difficulties with their waterworks. Cancer is the scary scenario but in fact many men suffer real problems because the prostate, the size of a walnut, tends to get a bit larger.

It's also positioned very close to the back passage, so cannot operate properly if any constipation occurs. Not being able to pee is agony if caused by constipation.

But the good news is that there is a medication that can shrink the prostate enough to allow the comfortable passing of urine.

Don't he a hero. Don't ignore any problems. Get to see your doctor because, while prostate cancer is the major male killer, many of us will die with a prostate problem and not because of it.

Don't be shy guys. Over 60? Then get it checked for you own safety!

Clemence was a terrific keeper as was Shilton & the oft forgotten but equally talented Corrigan. But let Ray's legacy be the lives he's saved for his work with Prostate Cancer UK & Cancer Research, not shots he kept out the net.

As others here have said if you're experiencing problems 'down below' and you've a problem with somebody putting a finger or camera up your backside, you're a Muppet. It isn't embarrassing, it isn't painful, it isn't dangerous. The folks who conduct such procedures do so hundreds of times, daily, with a good sense of humour and ultimate professionalism. I was more 'embarrassed' for the folks having to conduct my investigations than I was for myself but as they'll tell you, that's what they do. Emotion doesn't come into it.

You'll never die of embarrassment, you might die of prostate or bowel cancer. At least three diehard City fans in my cohort are alive and enjoying life because they weren't embarrassed and got things sorted. If you want to honour Ray after the platitudes re his death promise to yourself and to those who care for you, to act as and when you, or your mates, may need to.

40 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Don't be shy guys. Over 60? Then get it checked for you own safety!

Spot on but if you experience problems WHATEVER AGE get it investigated.

Though prostate and bowels cancers are more prevalent the older one gets young folks get them as well. My good mate was fobbed off by his GP when he reported issues aged 39. By the time they took him seriously aged 40 it was too late. He died the week of his 41st birthday.

15 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Spot on but if you experience problems WHATEVER AGE get it investigated.

Though prostate and bowels cancers are more prevalent the older one gets young folks get them as well. My good mate was fobbed off by his GP when he reported issues aged 39. By the time they took him seriously aged 40 it was too late. He died the week of his 41st birthday.

Can't reiterate this enough - I was diagnosed with bowel cancer at 37 but thankfully the NHS did a fantastic job for me....but please chaps, get along to the docs if anything is not right down there.

I remember reading his weekly column in Shoot Magazine and he was always complimentary about Bristol City and said what a difficult place it was to go and get a result as the fans were passionate and tight to the pitch. A great keeper as I was not entirely sold on the Peter Shilton is God argument. 

I recall being down the Open End when City beat Liverpool 2-1 with two Garland goals in 1977 on the Monday before the last game at Coventry on the Thursday and ribbing him about the shot from Dalglish that went through his legs when Scotland beat England at Hampden.

RIP Ray Clemence

Archived