IGNORED

Bristol City Football history through headlines

Fordy62

Afternoon all. 

With it being my 40th Birthday on Thursday, a rather thoughtful present has just been delivered from my uncle and aunt.

It’s a history of Bristol City told through newspaper articles (largely the mirror). 

Starts in 1905 and ends in the impending appointment of Dean Holden. 

Attached Is from page 32/33 of the Daily Mirror dated Wednesday 26th January 1994. 

If you’ve got any dates you’d like me to post up, then by all means shout and I’ll have a look through and photo them for you. 

Quite a pleasing present!

image.jpg

0A2F1D5E-E963-45B0-86E4-7240CD40000C.jpeg

Happy Birthday for later in the week mate. I might put that book on an Xmas list. 

Unrelated (sort of) I just realised that I'm still seething that LJ effed up our chance to play Klopp and his boys in the cup. 

Unfor-ruddy-givable...

18 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Afternoon all. 

With it being my 40th Birthday on Thursday, a rather thoughtful present has just been delivered from my uncle and aunt.

It’s a history of Bristol City told through newspaper articles (largely the mirror). 

Starts in 1905 and ends in the impending appointment of Dean Holden. 

Attached Is from page 32/33 of the Daily Mirror dated Wednesday 26th January 1994. 

If you’ve got any dates you’d like me to post up, then by all means shout and I’ll have a look through and photo them for you. 

Quite a pleasing present!

image.jpg

0A2F1D5E-E963-45B0-86E4-7240CD40000C.jpeg

I was given this too and as you say mainly from the Mirror, shame they didn’t use a newspaper!

12 hours ago, mozo said:

Happy Birthday for later in the week mate. I might put that book on an Xmas list. 

Unrelated (sort of) I just realised that I'm still seething that LJ effed up our chance to play Klopp and his boys in the cup. 

Unfor-ruddy-givable...

It was to be live on TV as well - I had the whole day planned....

Inspired by this, thought I'd find out the first ever Bristol City result with me being born on this planet was. Well, it came two days later on the 25th March 1995. It was, drumroll...

Bristol City 0 - 0 Southend United.

Start as you mean to go on, I say. We finished 23rd that season and were relegated to Division Two (League One).

Does anybody, for whatever reason, remember anything about this momentous fixture? Would be interested to hear...! It would be amusing to hear other 'first' Bristol City matches too!

20 hours ago, Robin101 said:

Inspired by this, thought I'd find out the first ever Bristol City result with me being born on this planet was. Well, it came two days later on the 25th March 1995. It was, drumroll...

Start as you mean to go on, I say. We finished 23rd that season and were relegated to Division Two (League One).

Does anybody, for whatever reason, remember anything about this momentous fixture? Would be interested to hear...! It would be amusing to hear other 'first' Bristol City matches too!

Interesting idea!

There was a match on the day I was born, 9th April 1994.. 1-0 win over Grimsby at home. 5480 in attendance. How times change!

20 hours ago, Robin101 said:

We lost 5-0 to West Ham the day before I was born... so I’d take that 0-0 any day!

We lost the first 5 games after my birth:

17 Aug 1985 Bristol City v Walsall L 2-3 League Division Three
21 Aug 1985 Hereford United v Bristol City L 5-1 League Cup
24 Aug 1985 AFC Bournemouth v Bristol City L 5-0 League Division Three
26 Aug 1985 Bristol City v Gillingham L 1-2 League Division Three
31 Aug 1985 Rotherham United v Bristol City L 2-0 League Division Three

However, my son was born in the evening of 3rd May 2014 (better known as Colin Daniel day) so that more than makes up for it.

Born just in time for the beginning of the 75-6 season, so first match a 1-0 win v Bolton, it seems.

Bristol City promoted to the top flight in my first year alive!

Bristol City in top flight for my second year alive!

Bristol City in top flight for my third year alive!

Bristol City even in top flight for my fourth and fifth year alive!

Just a shame I didn't know anything about it at the time, and it all went a bit downhill from there...

On 17/11/2020 at 19:39, Lanterne Rouge said:

I was born on Cup Final day 1959 (the last time Forest won it) so mine was when I was about 4 months old when we played away at Scunthorpe and drew 1-1.

We got relegated that season - explains a lot really!

I was at that match. Travelled overnight by train TM to Sheffield and met Bob Flicker, lifelong City fan and later worked in Supporters Club, on the walk to Victoria station about 6.30am.

We became friends and in the next decade went all over the country following City. 

As for the game itself, no memories other than the fact that an away draw at Scunthorpe was considered disappointing.

@Lanterne Rouge

11 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I was at that match. Travelled overnight by train TM to Sheffield and met Bob Flicker, lifelong City fan and later worked in Supporters Club, on the walk to Victoria station about 6.30am.

We became friends and in the next decade went all over the country following City. 

As for the game itself, no memories other than the fact that an away draw at Scunthorpe was considered disappointing.

@Lanterne Rouge

@Lanterne Rouge@cidered abroad  thank you both for making me feel so young ?

Archived