IGNORED

Ashton Gate 8 Merchandise

myol'man

Sorry if this topic has been covered before. 

Whilst scrolling through the exciting range of gifts available from the Bristol Sport online shopping site, I noticed several Ashton Gate 8 items including a tea towel, set of coasters & a fridge magnet. Not for me but it got me wondering. 

My question is, who is profiting from these items? Are the club making a donation to said eight? Have they set up a foundation in their name?

• Admin
38 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Sorry if this topic has been covered before. 

Whilst scrolling throu

My question is, who is profiting from these items? Are the club making a donation to said eight? Have they set up a foundation in their name?

Doesn't appear to be the case, but maybe still yet to be a decision made?

20 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Doubt the 8 get anything.

They had payoffs and a testimonial 38 years ago, which given the (no choice) between that and nothing, was probably as fair as the club could have been.

"1982" was closer to the end of WW2 than today, and whilst these are just dates in time and neither event are remotely connected or comparable, at some point you have to just acknowledge the history of things, rather than use every chargeable event as a call for compensation.

Pretty sure when I were was a lad, a poppy was WW specific, whereas now it encompasses all fallen or injured personnel.

You could equally argue that 'who is profiteering from away coach travel, when back in 82, bills went unpaid to coach companies'?

I have in my head that the answer may boil down to image rights.

Legally, if the club are selling images which was either taken of the player when they were an employee of the club, or the image is public source (not copyrighted), then they are not obliged to pay the player/ ex player separately - if you like it’s the same logic where if Zak Vyner is on the front of a programme, he doesn’t get a cut.

The exception here is image rights. Most players at the top level/two levels now have some kind of image rights where they licence their image for use and get paid separately for it on the basis the club will make money from scarves etc with players visage on them. Most memorable example here was renowned ugly bloke Rob Earnshaw, who somehow convinced West Brom that people would want to carry his sickening mug round their necks and got money for its use.

But I digress. The eights photos will be public source or owned by the club. Legally, I believe they are entitled to nothing and it would be a goodwill gesture to pay out - which may have already been rolled out as the wider shirt piece.

The coasters are f’ng horrible anyway! The mural looks good.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

I would hope that if the money from such merchandise wasn’t going to the 8, it would be going into the Robins Foundation at least.  

Agree, something feels wrong that the club are pushing the 8 so much in relation to sales this season

• Admin
2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Pretty sure when I were was a lad, a poppy was WW specific, whereas now it encompasses all fallen or injured personnel.

44 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Perhaps because when you were a lad, Rob, WWll hadn’t started? ;)

Up until the Falklands war, was there any other war we were involved with apart from WW1 and WW2?

I would say a resurgence in the poppy comes following the Gulf war conflicts and those since

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Up until the Falklands war, was there any other war we were involved with apart from WW1 and WW2?

I would say a resurgence in the poppy comes following the Gulf war conflicts and those since

It would depend on your definition of war. we were involved in the suez crisis 16 dead 96 wounded France slightly less Israel considerably more?

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I have in my head that the answer may boil down to image rights.

Legally, if the club are selling images which was either taken of the player when they were an employee of the club, or the image is public source (not copyrighted), then they are not obliged to pay the player/ ex player separately - if you like it’s the same logic where if Zak Vyner is on the front of a programme, he doesn’t get a cut.

The exception here is image rights. Most players at the top level/two levels now have some kind of image rights where they licence their image for use and get paid separately for it on the basis the club will make money from scarves etc with players visage on them. Most memorable example here was renowned ugly bloke Rob Earnshaw, who somehow convinced West Brom that people would want to carry his sickening mug round their necks and got money for its use.

But I digress. The eights photos will be public source or owned by the club. Legally, I believe they are entitled to nothing and it would be a goodwill gesture to pay out - which may have already been rolled out as the wider shirt piece.

The coasters are f’ng horrible anyway! The mural looks good.

The image rights 'scam' was usually a fixed fee, payable to a company owned by the player for tax avoidance purposes.

A few high profile players actually had auditable companies.

As for the 8 getting paid, their image (as indeed the image or anyone in the stadium), is fair game for use by the club.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Plenty.

Korean war 1950- 52

Kenya again early Fifties, and Cyprus. Both colonies where they wanted independence.

Suez Canal against Egypt when they nationalized the canal which was owned by UK & France.

Going back a bit more, in 1911 when the army opened fire on striking miners. Permission to shoot given by Winston Churchill then Home Secretary! I wonder why South Wales voted en masse for Labour in the first election after WW2.

18 hours ago, phantom said:

Korean War - 1,078 killed in action, 2,674 wounded and 1,060 missing or taken prisoner.

16 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Plenty.

Korean war 1950- 52

Kenya again early Fifties, and Cyprus. Both colonies where they wanted independence.

Suez Canal against Egypt when they nationalized the canal which was owned by UK & France.

Going back a bit more, in 1911 when the army opened fire on striking miners. Permission to shoot given by Winston Churchill then Home Secretary! I wonder why South Wales voted en masse for Labour in the first election after WW2.

Also Palestine in 1948. There was a young Bristolian serviceman  killed by zionist terrorists (their leader later became Prime Minister of Israel) - he was butchered and his body hung from a lamppost.  When I was young (1960s)  his name was always read out at the Remembrance service in my then local church. He is buried in the churchyard in St Mary's, Stoke Bishop.   

Archived