IGNORED

England v Iceland

Super

1 minute ago, Coxy27 said:

Some real exuberant quality in there with Mount, Grealish, Foden and Saka. Good to see. 

If you saw what was essentially a second string U23 side last night and some of the skills on show you’d definitely be optimistic about the next 10/12 years

Ironically we suddenly have a wealth of Grealish / Sancho / Hudson Odoi type players (Happy days) But if we lack , it’s in the more traditional British Strengths of defended minded players and great defenders.

Sourhgate and successor(s) certainly have plenty of assets to deploy - just need to get the blend right

(I think we will win a tournament in next 10/12 yrs)

4 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

It was a great feet for them given their population and pool to choose from. Havent heard of him in a while in all honesty.

He’s been playing for them in the other qualifiers

9 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Where’s our Hörður?

And how on earth did they beat us at the last Euros?

Out of curiosity I checked that Magnússon played against Denmark at the weekend and he did. Got booked so imagine he is suspended. 

Anyway, back to attack v defence . . . 

Sorry but thats a dive from Saka, that small a tug from a player does not make you go off your feet like that, Saka knows exactly what he's doing there. Not saying going for any sort of pulling back of a player is right but that was so soft.

10 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Sorry but thats a dive from Saka, that small a tug from a player does not make you go off your feet like that, Saka knows exactly what he's doing there. Not saying going for any sort of pulling back of a player is right but that was so soft.

A small tug from anyone would get me off my feet these days.

I mentioned on the Belgium thread earlier this week, the difference Grealish can make in international football. 

I exampled how he is someone who can win you free kicks around the box, and how important set pieces are in international football, particularly against your ‘Iceland’s’. 
It’s often something like that which you need to break down the stubborn and compact defences. 
Grealish did that for the opening goal. 

That opens the game up. I also exampled how he runs at people and creates space for others. 
The 2nd goal started with Grealish picking the ball up in a CM position and running directly with the ball toward the heart of their defence. This broke the lines and created a chance, which was then recycled and resulted in a goal. 

It’s these type of things that can make a difference in the tightness of international football. As I said in the previous thread, the lad should have 40 caps by now. 
Long may it continue.  

On a wider perspective, Grealish/Mount/Foden together in a team is definitely something to be excited about. 
It doesn’t have to be 1 or 2 of these, it CAN be all 3. Mount has been excellent in the central mid role, popping up in all areas, and both Grealish and Foden offer you the ability to open teams up. 

49 minutes ago, Harry said:

I mentioned on the Belgium thread earlier this week, the difference Grealish can make in international football. 

I exampled how he is someone who can win you free kicks around the box, and how important set pieces are in international football, particularly against your ‘Iceland’s’. 
It’s often something like that which you need to break down the stubborn and compact defences. 
Grealish did that for the opening goal. 

That opens the game up. I also exampled how he runs at people and creates space for others. 
The 2nd goal started with Grealish picking the ball up in a CM position and running directly with the ball toward the heart of their defence. This broke the lines and created a chance, which was then recycled and resulted in a goal. 

It’s these type of things that can make a difference in the tightness of international football. As I said in the previous thread, the lad should have 40 caps by now. 
Long may it continue.  

On a wider perspective, Grealish/Mount/Foden together in a team is definitely something to be excited about. 
It doesn’t have to be 1 or 2 of these, it CAN be all 3. Mount has been excellent in the central mid role, popping up in all areas, and both Grealish and Foden offer you the ability to open teams up. 

Exactly. You can see the technical differences in the players coming through now. I’d be happy with a front 6 of

Henderson/Winks Mount

Foden Grealish Sterling

Kane

just need to sort the defence now! 

Archived