IGNORED

Adam Nagy - Dean Holden Take Note

I watched all 3 of Hungary's Nations League's games over the last week and at last, saw the player that I was excited that we had signed. He played all bar 6 minutes of the games, was decent in the first game, better in the second and tonight, magnificent. The reason..? simply that he wasn't shackled to a holding midfielder role...

I wondered how he would cope tonight with the schedule but you would never have known it was his third game in 7 days. Incredible energy, he was everywhere, covering every blade of grass, breaking up attacks and mopping up but in addition, moving into forward positions, even playing 1-2's and breaking into the box for the return. Truely superb tonight and also a major contribution to Hungary making it to the Euro's and also being promoted into the Nations League top division.

Looking forward to the resumption....

I've seen both Nagy play for City and Hungary and Joe Morrell for Wales. Both live and on tv.  Can't help thinking we've made a mistake in letting Morrell go! Think Walsh will go to waste as well

John Hartson quote on S4C tonight. "Morrell running the show"  

Shame we couldn't have kept for another year.

30 minutes ago, RedReynard said:

I've seen both Nagy play for City and Hungary and Joe Morrell for Wales. Both live and on tv.  Can't help thinking we've made a mistake in letting Morrell go! Think Walsh will go to waste as well

Morrell seems to play superbly against poor opposition. Comes unstuck against better teams.  Interesting to see how long it takes him to get into the Luton team 

In Nagy's best game (the legendary Birmingham away), he played along side Josh Brownhill, and you had two smart footballers who took it in turns to go forwards and defend.

I want us to play two out of Williams, Walsh, Nagy, Bakinson, Massengo. All of them have the ability to play that CM role naturally and also bring it forwards. Whoever is best wins the place.

And one of Paterson, O'Dowda who aren't so hot defensively, so putting them further up the pitch more often, plays to their strengths too.

I just think that's a better balance and puts each of the players in a position of comfort and a position to succeed. I really hope we modify our tactics, and honestly, if O'Dowda has his dead leg for the next game and it forces Holden to switch away from the two "8s" and play say Bakinson, Nagy, Paterson, (we have no idea who is available of course so this is just an example)  I think that's the best thing for the team going forwards.

Hungary are a decent side, but probably the biggest difference is he is completely integral to the way they play.

Nagy, although only 25, is the most experienced midfielder in the entire squad & an automatic pick.

He does play quite deep but always seems to be on the move, looking to make play.

With us whatever his role, he appears to be seen by Holden as a back up, Plan C type, who only got a chance recently when we ran out of other options.

I still won’t be too surprised to see him move on & if Walsh & Williams ever get fit, drop out of contention again.

It might be a confidence issue?

In his last game for us, he was very good and maybe he's got his confidence back now?

Either way, looking forward to seeing his form continue for us. Was exceptional on his debut for us. Cant understand why people were writing him off.

Nagy's not a natural DM, simple as that. I, and others, have said that for a while now. He can do a job there, but he's better box-to-box, IMO. 

Thanks to the OP for relaying that feedback. It's great to hear he's over his injuries and hopefully ready to make an impact with us. 

2 minutes ago, tin said:

Nagy's not a natural DM, simple as that. I, and others, have said that for a while now. He can do a job there, but he's better box-to-box, IMO. 

Agree

9 hours ago, Prinny said:

I want us to play two out of Williams, Walsh, Nagy, Bakinson, Massengo. All of them have the ability to play that CM role naturally and also bring it forwards. Whoever is best wins the place.

And one of Paterson, O'Dowda who aren't so hot defensively, so putting them further up the pitch more often, plays to their strengths too.

Yes. Definitely. Bakinson and Nagy would balance the mid very well with an option of 1 other to find space and push on.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Hungary are a decent side, but probably the biggest difference is he is completely integral to the way they play.

Nagy, although only 25, is the most experienced midfielder in the entire squad & an automatic pick.

He does play quite deep but always seems to be on the move, looking to make play.

With us whatever his role, he appears to be seen by Holden as a back up, Plan C type, who only got a chance recently when we ran out of other options.

I still won’t be too surprised to see him move on & if Walsh & Williams ever get fit, drop out of contention again.

Has Walsh ever been in contention? I see him being the one moved on in January.

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Educated guess Dave. Deano is a professional guy who no doubt was watching his international players. That’s what all good managers do.

Might he have been watching:

• Tomas Kalas for Czech Republic
  • Jason Knight for Ireland
  • Tom Lawrence for Wales
  • Kamil Jozwiak for Poland
  • David Marshall for Scotland

instead of Nagy?  Perhaps he recorded them all and is watching them one by one.

Thats what we assume all good managers do.

Thanks for the somewhat outsider opinions as I might be a little biased towards Ádám. :)

It was a very emotional and tough week for us fans and for the players as well. Ádám said after yesterday's match that very little energy left in him at the end of the game after playing nearly fully all 3 games in 7 days.

His performances during these games plus the 2 before the break were the best of him yet and he was getting better game by game. So despite I was quite angry he he couldn't even make the bench before it seems that the coaching plus his attitude brings out the best of him and he's developing nicely. 

As for mentality (his and the whole Hungarian team) just a few sentences how the last 10 days were for us. I think this tells everything about the real team mentality and attitude

1,  5/11 assistant coach Costantino got  a positive COVID test, goes to isolation

2, 8/11 player arrive to camp but Szoboszlai wasn't released yet

3, 10/11 he arrives,everything is calm

4, 12/11 match day agains Iceland: Rossi turns out to be positive, isolates. We have 1 assistant coach left, Zoltán Gera joins him on the bench, we win anyway (our captain is unavalaible fdor all games from now on, only online team talks)

5, 13/11, euphoria but turns out all of our Bundeslige players have to travel back for quarantine reasons; plus 2 of our starter CB-s are suspended against Serbia

6, 15/11 our second assistant coach, Inguscio is positive as well, isolates, Gera stays alone on the bench, we start only with 4 of the regulars, draw with Serbia with some splendid play

7, 18/11 Szoboszlai has to travel back, we start with only 2 regulars and a lot who plays in the Hungarian league and beat Turkey with still Gera on the bench  

During this week Ádám didn't just play; he was the translator on the online tactical discussions, it was easier for Rossi to say everything in Italian and he interpreted everything to the teammates and made sure they stick with it on the pitch as well.

Also every Hungarian player tested negative every day, I hope it stays this way.

Some good comments, thanks for the feedback and yes I agree, he is definitely needs to be given some freedom to play. Especially agree with the comment about playing alongside Brownhill against Birmingham, I would like to see him with Bakinson who seems to be wise beyond his years and has got it all, looks like he has a very big career in front of him..

I might also be considered a bit biased (Hajrá, magyarok!) but that doesn't detract from the fact that Nagy was bloody good. I also watched the post match interview when he said he was basically running on fumes by the end but you would never know it from the performance.  Hope he gets some good recovery time in so he is able to play on Saturday...

On 18/11/2020 at 23:27, RedReynard said:

Finland, who are rated 58 in the world rankings were down to 10 men after 12 minutes, if he didn't look good in that game, he would have been very disappointed.

15 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

So , are we able to clarify 

Who from a ‘Deano’ , ‘Simmo’ and ‘ Downio ’ watched Kalaso 

And who watched Nagyo 

Dunno!

On 19/11/2020 at 08:43, GrahamC said:

If ?

1 hour ago, RobintheRed Red said:

If ?

Let’s be honest, they are both unavailable yet again tomorrow & I must not be the only one completely fed up with it.

Their availability records are awful, I’m starting to wonder how Walsh ever managed 30 games for Coventry as he got injured in his last league game for us (Ipswich away a few years ago), too.

Pitiful.

Archived