IGNORED

Know Your Place

BS2 Red

2 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

There's a Twitter account called "Know Your Place Bristol", it posts lots of interesting photos and information about the history of our glorious city.

This just popped up and I think it deserves a thread on here!

Steve Lansdown (LHS, front line of suits, winged collar) has aged well. 

3 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

There's a Twitter account called "Know Your Place Bristol", it posts lots of interesting photos and information about the history of our glorious city.

The quality of that photograph is stunning!  That's either very well preserved or a fantastic restoration when you consider that's over 80 years old.

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

The quality of that photograph is stunning!  That's either very well preserved or a fantastic restoration when you consider that's over 80 years old.

I don't have the skills, but would be great if it could be colourised. 

You're right though, it's a great quality image. Horrible to think that so soon after that photo their whole world was going to go up in flames.

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I was watching some old films of Bristol on YouTube yesterday, at 2:13 there is a photo of Ashton Gate and I wondered what was happening…

Bonded warehouse demolition on Winterstoke road maybe? It's relatively recent as the Atyeo stand is there. Nothing else springs to mind.

7 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

The Williams stand? Still looks bigger and better than any of the stands at the Memorial Ground, even back then!

2 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

I don't have the skills, but would be great if it could be colourised. 

You're right though, it's a great quality image. Horrible to think that so soon after that photo their whole world was going to go up in flames.

Not great, but a quick run through Algorithmia's processing reveals this...Think I prefer the original!

image.png.ae310751c51b5b6980eb4790828c54d6.png

I believe that there is at least one on the picture, who survived until I started watching City.

Dennis Roberts, centre half, second row from front and third player from right. He was in the team against Aldershot, my first game on Good Friday 1950.

Later ran a pub on Redcliffe Hill.

PS. The colourised photo. The keepers sat at the front would have worn green jerseys.

Always interesting to look at the old maps and see how small the area of ‘old’ Bristol is left in the city centre after the Luftwaffe destroyed all the area that’s now Castle Park and the Council demolished a wide area to build Broadmead and build wider roads 

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Always interesting to look at the old maps and see how small the area of ‘old’ Bristol is left in the city centre after the Luftwaffe destroyed all the area that’s now Castle Park and the Council demolished a wide area to build Broadmead and build wider roads 

My great aunt’s claim to fame was that she was the first person killed in the Bristol air raids. 

20 hours ago, Mr X said:

Think that was the stand built before the Williams stand

Yes, definitely the old stand that got bombed in WW2. From  the photos I have seen, AG used to be quite an odd-looking ground with the two stands along the side of the pitch being identical in size and shape (and both quite small-looking), with the dominant structure being the old EE, which in itself was quite low. Also the EE was quite wide.  Not really an imposing looking ground, but still had a fairly big capacity. 

Archived