IGNORED

Walsh and Williams still not fit !

Major Isewater

Am I the only one who thinks the money spent on Williams signing on fee, medical fees and wages could have been used more wisely. 

Of course its easy to say the above in retrospect, but we must have known the damage and depth of his injury and how long he'd be out for to some extent. It'd be madness for us to have known how this would panned out, there must have been a huge chunk of bad luck involved here, there's no way we'd have signed Williams if we knew he'd be out this long, would we? 

I do wonder if Liam wanted to be here / signed his contract, would he be long term injured? Cynical I appreciate but he hasn’t signed anything yet so I would imagine he’s off for naff all in the summer. :(

Sorry, I’m oop North for a few days (Manchester again) and want to be back in Bristol.

1 hour ago, YorkshireSection said:

Am I the only one who thinks the money spent on Williams signing on fee, medical fees and wages could have been used more wisely. 

Of course its easy to say the above in retrospect, but we must have known the damage and depth of his injury and how long he'd be out for to some extent. It'd be madness for us to have known how this would panned out, there must have been a huge chunk of bad luck involved here, there's no way we'd have signed Williams if we knew he'd be out this long, would we? 

He was injured with us supposedly, was fit enough to be involved at the very start of pre-season

3 hours ago, markcarter said:

The club continues with its new policy of not keeping supporters remotely informed of major injuries to key players. Bizarre. For years we were getting very detailed updates, but apparently we are nowadays totally unimportant.

If the club was to give YOU every little detail could you change anything ?, NO of course you couldn't.

When the club has some significant update on the injuries I feel confident they will inform us so until then they are working their butts off to keep the available squad up & running.

21 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I do wonder if Liam wanted to be here / signed his contract, would he be long term injured? Cynical I appreciate but he hasn’t signed anything yet so I would imagine he’s off for naff all in the summer. :(

Sorry, I’m oop North for a few days (Manchester again) and want to be back in Bristol.

I think you could well be right.

37 minutes ago, bpexile said:

If the club was to give YOU every little detail could you change anything ?, NO of course you couldn't.

When the club has some significant update on the injuries I feel confident they will inform us so until then they are working their butts off to keep the available squad up & running.

I want to know their toilet routines.

On 03/12/2020 at 14:06, Magger1 said:

By the way sorry for those who cannot remember paul Hartley a fantastic baller signed from Celtic around 2009 I think ?

Almost, but not quite. 

Wasn't he released by Celtic and then we got him as a free agent..? 

On 03/12/2020 at 21:16, forbespm said:

Never replaced him.absolute quality player

I honestly never got the love in with Hartley. 

He was decent on his day, but alot of what he did well was down to having that (at the time) awesome Nicky Maynard, who turned Hartley's long balls upfield into great passes. 

He was supposed to be a hard as nails midfield general, who couldn't hack it down south and went back up to Scotland because he was homesick. A 30+ year old who was homesick... 

Always felt he never lived up to the reputation or esteem that he's afforded by many here. 

4 hours ago, markcarter said:

The club continues with its new policy of not keeping supporters remotely informed of major injuries to key players. Bizarre. For years we were getting very detailed updates, but apparently we are nowadays totally unimportant.

So you at least accept it’s now the club and not Dean Holden “to blame” for not giving you the detailed medical update that you require?

6 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

He was supposed to be a hard as nails midfield general, who couldn't hack it down south and went back up to Scotland because he was homesick. A 30+ year old who was homesick... 

Harsh!   He had a young family who he didn't want to uproot as they were in school etc in Glasgow  - for a relatively short contact at BCFC - understand why he would want to return.....he also didn't really gel with GJ. For obvious reasons.

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

Harsh!   He had a young family who he didn't want to uproot as they were in school etc in Glasgow  - for a relatively short contact at BCFC - understand why he would want to return.....he also didn't really gel with GJ. For obvious reasons.

I wouldn't blame a man for not wanting to be away from his children. 

I just don't think he was the player than many seem to remember so fondly. 

He was alright, but in my mind Nicky Maynard made good what he did, rather than Hartley being the catylist for Maynard for that season. 

I've got a small conspiracy theory with respect to Williams, that I hope will fall away.

We signed Williams, then it transpires that we are under some sort of moderate EFL Business Plan for being on course to fail FFP within the next couple of years, we shouldn't have signed him as it was for a fee- and therefore he can't play so we're not in breach, were he to play we would be in breach.

Okay it's farfetched and I hope fanciful, but could that be at all possible? The changes in q came in with respect to FFP after Williams had signed and for a fee, so in theory...and the relevant financial Info due to Covid was submitted to the EFL after this date, ie after the day we signed Williams.

1. Williams signs 20th August 2020
  2. Deadline for relevant data for clubs shifted to 26th August 2020
  3. FFP rules amended, announced 29th August 2020.

Though he has been given the 20 shirt so I'm hoping it's 2 + 2=5!

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've got a small conspiracy theory with respect to Williams, that I hope will fall away.

We signed Williams, then it transpires that we are under some sort of moderate EFL Business Plan for being on course to fail FFP within the next couple of years, we shouldn't have signed him as it was for a fee- and therefore he can't play so we're not in breach, were he to play we would be in breach.

Okay it's farfetched and I hope fanciful, but could that be at all possible? The changes in q came in with respect to FFP after Williams had signed and for a fee, so in theory...and the relevant financial Info due to Covid was submitted to the EFL after this date, ie after the day we signed Williams.

Or...... 

Williams signed when injured, but we're desperate to sign him so do so regardless as its "only a thigh injury". 

It transpires that his injury is worse than as thought and we made a huge cock up as Williams injury is a lot worse than first thought? 

Sounds like a typical city cock up to me. 

10 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Or...... 

Williams signed when injured, but we're desperate to sign him so do so regardless as its "only a thigh injury". 

It transpires that his injury is worse than as thought and we made a huge cock up as Williams injury is a lot worse than first thought? 

Sounds like a typical city cock up to me. 

Possibly more likely!

I note that Dunkley, who went to Sheffield Wednesday, has been injured for most of the season- maybe Wigan had some fitness issues towards the back end of last season.

Whether we sign anyone for a fee in January could be an indicator but yeah it's a conspiracy theory I occasionally have that I hope will be debunked!

10 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I honestly never got the love in with Hartley. 

He was decent on his day, but alot of what he did well was down to having that (at the time) awesome Nicky Maynard, who turned Hartley's long balls upfield into great passes. 

Always felt he never lived up to the reputation or esteem that he's afforded by many here. 

He was good but nowhere near the “best midfielder ever” stuff that some seem to think, he certainly made nowhere near the impact for us of a Gary Shelton, Marvin Elliott or Korey Smith.

Think he struggled with his fitness too, rarely playing 2 full games on the spin.

Your homesickness point is also very valid, in his entire career he only came down South twice (Millwall was the other one) & on both occasions he went back to Scotland within a year.

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I have my own outlandish theory in respect of Williams. It flies in the face of everything OTIB is about:

He picked up an injury and it's turned out, for one medical reason or another, to be a long term injury.

That's just a crazy story.....almost science fiction/fantasy in its nature it's so outlandish.  Be off with you!!!

11 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Is the obvious reason to do with GJ's well known dislike of Jam and Fly Fishing?   (Obscure ? I Know)  ?

13 minutes ago, markcarter said:

For anyone getting their hopes up for the start of 2021, in his latest interview, whilst giving no more information about the nature of the injuries or recovery programmes for the long term injured players,  Holden is now saying he ‘hopes’ to have some of them back by January OR FEBRUARY.   Looks like we can look forward to lots more ‘he should be back on the grass soon’ comments each week next year ??.  At the end of January, there will be just 18 matches left and by the end of February just 12.  

I for one am outraged.

20 minutes ago, markcarter said:

For anyone getting their hopes up for the start of 2021, in his latest interview, whilst giving no more information about the nature of the injuries or recovery programmes for the long term injured players,  Holden is now saying he ‘hopes’ to have some of them back by January OR FEBRUARY.   Looks like we can look forward to lots more ‘he should be back on the grass soon’ comments each week next year ??.  At the end of January, there will be just 18 matches left and by the end of February just 12.  

This backs up what I’ve been saying for a while now...don’t put too much hope on returning injured players.

Even if they come back in to the team, they may only get less than 10 games by the time they’re back ‘up to speed’ fully....and by that point, it might all be too little too late.

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Until we see 19/20s accounts (they are very late for us, normally Oct) I’m not convinced.  We sold Webster in that period, and although we spent it all...it will be amortised in the main across 3/4 years.

I don’t think we were under any constraints imposed by EFL, purely SL’s sustainability.

Re injuries we have to be careful to not lump a single comment like “Jan or Feb” to every player that’s currently injured.

Nor do we have to assume that a mid/end Jan date means return to training and then 3/4 weeks of getting match fitness.

For example we already know that Baker is back on the grass, i.e. he’s back in training.  It’s just he’s not ready to be considered for selection, that’s a little way off.  And of course he could have a setback....like we’ve been told Walsh and Williams have had.

Of course it’s frustrating, but that’s injuries for you. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Re injuries we have to be careful to not lump a single comment like “Jan or Feb” to every player that’s currently injured.

Nor do we have to assume that a mid/end Jan date means return to training and then 3/4 weeks of getting match fitness.

For example we already know that Baker is back on the grass, i.e. he’s back in training.  It’s just he’s not ready to be considered for selection, that’s a little way off.  And of course he could have a setback....like we’ve been told Walsh and Williams have had.

Of course it’s frustrating, but that’s injuries for you. 

Agree, Sessegnon is another one like Baker, who might well be back before the others.

I cannot be too confident re the 2 midfielders & Mawson though.

4 minutes ago, markcarter said:

Nope.  The club doesn’t think that supporters might have any interest in what’s going on with one of our best young prospects who last played a competitive match NINE MONTHS AGO.  Quite incredible. 

When did you last receive at update re Walsh?

Answer: A week ago.  Here’s a summary of the presser from Gregor.

8687EE41-0D12-408A-AFB1-B1B79AF82262.thumb.jpeg.c9272925a83e8f18b401454260f4e646.jpeg

Whether the update last week was to your satisfaction or not, are you after another update this week?

if yes, what extra detail are you after?

As you appear to be so aggravated by this, it might be worth you writing to the club expressing your thoughts.

Thats exactly what I did re Robinstv at the end of last season.  No idea whether it was my feedback that changed things, but if you do it in the right way, you’ll get a response.

Its pretty clear that Dean is not going to go into as much detail re injuries as LJ did.  That’s a good thing or a bad thing depending on your view point.  There’s possibly a happy medium in there in fairness.

From a reporters point of view, do you think there was much benefit yesterday in Gregor asking for another update on Walsh and Williams given the answer given the week before?

Archived