Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Walsh and Williams still not fit !

45 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I could have sworn that one of Holden's early interviews said that Walsh had picked the injury up at Coventry, but haven't seen that anywhere else since. And he was pictured in training after lockdown.

Are we just unlucky?  Adobe/Mawson get crocked at the start of their loans and we lose out.   Walsh gets crocked at the end of his when he's due back with us and we lose out again. 

Hopefully, they'll be back before we run out of midfielders!! 

1 hour ago, markcarter said:

Your argument is deeply flawed.  In your response you start by setting out that the club has done all the things I suggested it should do. . . and you finish by saying that you have shown why a supporter shouldn’t reasonably expect these things.  It can’t be both.

You’re the one saying they haven’t told us enough, and how it’s gone downhill this season.  All I’ve done is tell you what they have done, which despite ticking all your boxes doesn’t meet your needs.  You need to specify your needs better. 😉

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I agree with your summary of the Williams injury. I think we’ve had enough information as we need, and it was certainly mentioned early on that it was an expected 12 weeks. 

But what about Walsh? There’s a lack of info on him. Unless I’ve missed some articles (likely). When was he injured, what is it, what’s the expected timescale? 

It was kept under wraps when they reported back for pre-season. ⬇️⬇️⬇️

46 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I could have sworn that one of Holden's early interviews said that Walsh had picked the injury up at Coventry, but haven't seen that anywhere else since. And he was pictured in training after lockdown.

He picked up his quad injury (which we’ve been told) in that timeframe when the Lg1 season was curtailed and the four loanees (Szmodics, Morrell, Walsh and Moore) returned to City to integrate back into the first team on the off-chance the rules would allow them to be involved.

Up until that point, despite being in lockdown they trained alone and were not included in the early days / weeks of “return to training” for fear of risk of bringing COVID into the bubble from outside.

Once the Lg1 season was done, they went through the protocols to join the first team training bubble.  We saw them in a video from Failand.  He picked it up during the training at the back end of last season, not at Coventry.  There were rumours he did it at Cov, but there were also rumours he did it celebrating Liverpool’s title win. 🤷🏻‍♂️.  There are rumours about his contract too.  That’s OTIB!!  Then again, that’s why we come here!

We've been told he was close to getting on the grass.  It was initially an 8-weeker.  Did it middle/end of July whilst we were finishing our last 1 or 2 games of the season.  They thought he’d miss early games of the season.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/players-return-to-failand-for-pre-season/

There’s a photo of him being swab tested.

Some might remember a few posters commenting that he looked miserable in those early videos in the training car park.  It was because he was injured.

Chris Honour on RB tonight

Astonished by the Williams and Walsh situation

Says quad injuries normally 6-8 weeks max

Only came across One serious quad injury in his whole career !

Horrendously  unlucky ,

a 1 in ??? Coincidence ?

Kalas now out with a ‘tight quad’

With the money involved these days in wages etc Id hope that we are / have a review of every aspect of these injuries , any activity leading to the injuries , the diagnosis , and the rehab strategy , right from our fitness / conditioning team and the medical staff including advice used from any outside consultants

Talk about small margins , it would be a sensible investment Id suggest

We may uncover nothing , but our injuries and recovery times  surely needs looking at / reviewed ?

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Chris Honour on RB tonight

Astonished by the Williams and Walsh situation

Says quad injuries normally 6-8 weeks max

Only came across One serious quad injury in his whole career !

Horrendously  unlucky ,

a 1 in ??? Coincidence ?

Kalas now out with a ‘tight quad’

With the money involved these days in wages etc Id hope that we are / have a review of every aspect of these injuries , any activity leading to the injuries , the diagnosis , and the rehab strategy , right from our fitness / conditioning team and the medical staff including advice used from any outside consultants

Talk about small margins , it would be a sensible investment Id suggest

We may uncover nothing , but our injuries and recovery times  surely needs looking at / reviewed ?

They do indeed- and then on the flipside, we have rushed players back or brought them back well not suddenly as they have been out for some time, but in a way that perhaps hasn't benefited us or them in the medium term- can think of Pisano unexpected return v Sheffield Wednesday in March 2018 and O'Dowda at Millwall about a month later.

We have to get it right, but the number of injuries, medium-long term or rolling to first team and first reserves, well it's 4 seasons on the bounce now!

• Like 1

Not even sure exactly how Holden fits Bakinson back in when he is hopefully back soon. So we are doing okay in midfield now. And i think Massengo has a lot to offer too.

The Walsh one seems more odd than Williams going by the injury. Williams I think didn't join us before because of a failed medical? I think that was the case.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Not even sure exactly how Holden fits Bakinson back in when he is hopefully back soon. So we are doing okay in midfield now. And i think Massengo has a lot to offer too.

The Walsh one seems more odd than Williams going by the injury. Williams I think didn't join us before because of a failed medical? I think that was the case.

Simple, they have to wait for their chance, or take their opportunity when someone gets rested.

Re Bakinson you’d think that Nagy on Saturday might be one game too far (I thought last night was imho) so he might get lucky and come back in immediately.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Simple, they have to wait for their chance, or take their opportunity when someone gets rested.

Re Bakinson you’d think that Nagy on Saturday might be one game too far (I thought last night was imho) so he might get lucky and come back in immediately.

It wouldn't surprise me if Bakinson may be out for a little while. Its going to be very difficult after covid to just come in and start a game. I actually think Bakinson might take a long time to get back to full strength.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Also, I don’t think that we should worry about this football manager stuff until they are actually fit.

What we cannot do is expect the same 13 to play Saturday, Tuesday/Wednesday indefinitely.

I saw a post elsewhere saying we probably will never put our strongest side out this season, which suggests to me how do we know it even was?

Circumstances dictate who plays (Nagy is a great example here), but rotation and recovery are key with so few options.

1 hour ago, Bassomylord said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Bakinson may be out for a little while. Its going to be very difficult after covid to just come in and start a game. I actually think Bakinson might take a long time to get back to full strength.

That's assuming he had symptoms. Not sure if that's been confirmed. He might be feeling fit as anything, although not training for 2 weeks will probably mean he doesn't start on Saturday in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Bassomylord said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, Robin101 said:

That's assuming he had symptoms. Not sure if that's been confirmed. He might be feeling fit as anything, although not training for 2 weeks will probably mean he doesn't start on Saturday in my opinion.

According to Holden (paraphrased), Bakinson is fine....just needs a negative test....and then he will rejoin the squad.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Apparently O'Dowda and Paterson have both picked up quad injuries, but Holden told Massengo not to get too excited because we wanted to try Hunt and Gilmarten as a midfield pairing for the Reading game...

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Also, I don’t think that we should worry about this football manager stuff until they are actually fit.

What we cannot do is expect the same 13 to play Saturday, Tuesday/Wednesday indefinitely.

I saw a post elsewhere saying we probably will never put our strongest side out this season, which suggests to me how do we know it even was?

Circumstances dictate who plays (Nagy is a great example here), but rotation and recovery are key with so few options.

All good points Graham

And your (Believed) ‘strongest side’ is only your ‘strongest side’ at the start and then at each game point thereafter

(I know you’d agree that Most managers will give you different ‘strongest side’s at various points during the season as it’s dependent on individual form / player development or decline / change of team tactics etc etc)

If a Manager had a fit squad of 24 to choose from all season you can be sure virtually every side would still change at some point(s), and if it was under LJ , each week

• Like 1

@Davefevs following our discussion about managers revealing injury updates, I found Mourinho's comments today on Kane to be a bit odd...

"I'm not going to tell you the nature of his injury," said Spurs manager Jose Mourinho.

"He has a good chance [against Arsenal]. I don't want to lie, I don't want to hide anything in relation to is he going to play or not. I think he's going to play. My feeling is that he's going to play."

• Like 1

If these 2 not fit by Christmas then we really need a quality signing in January window in that position a paul Hartley signing of that sort would be great , we’ve been in this position in league at Christmas and let the chance of strengthening slip and dropped down table ,So come on city we’re in with a chance 👍

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Lew-T said:

https://bit.ly/WalshApp

Come across this on Twitter earlier. It’s a Coventry fans podcast that features Walsh. Plenty of good things to say about his loan spell there, talks a bit about City and the current situation from the 30 minute mark.

I was hoping for something revealing, but no. He did sound complimentary and optimistic about dealings with Holden. 

I won't be happy until A) He's back in the first team B) He signs a new contract.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Magger1 said:

If these 2 not fit by Christmas then we really need a quality signing in January window in that position a paul Hartley signing of that sort would be great , we’ve been in this position in league at Christmas and let the chance of strengthening slip and dropped down table ,So come on city we’re in with a chance 👍

Don't you think Bakinson and Nagy have been doing really well this season? They're both very good on the ball and protect the defence well. I'm excited by what they can do together in a pair.

Brunt has not been great so far but much improved second half when alongside Nagy rather than on his own with too much to do. So that's a bit more promising to see.

We have Massengo who I think showed last season how good he can be. In a better side this season and a year older, I would trust him to come into the side if needed.

I guess Rowe would be an emergency 5th option with the injuries we have. Also it depends if we are sticking with the double pivot that we saw 2nd half in QPR. If we go back to 2 box to box then O'Dowda and Paterson play those roles under Holden.  Hoping we stick with the 2 in front of defence from now on, so O'Dowda and Paterson can be more advanced.

Surely at least one of Williams or Walsh will be back by the new year. I think signing someone new could be a waste. More injuries of course may change that. But it will be bloody hard to improve on what we have imo.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
16 hours ago, Lew-T said:

https://bit.ly/WalshApp

Come across this on Twitter earlier. It’s a Coventry fans podcast that features Walsh. Plenty of good things to say about his loan spell there, talks a bit about City and the current situation from the 30 minute mark.

Good interview except the bloke sniffing all the time! 

Good to hear him talk about us. Would love to see him get his chance.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Good interview except the bloke sniffing all the time! 

Good to hear him talk about us. Would love to see him get his chance.

good spot & share by 1960 and quite entertaining !  Is he really a scouser ! 😷 Real accent, i am one of these who believes he will be our 'Barry Bannan' type player.... At least the DH interviews a week or so back put to bed the conspiracy theories that were doing the rounds. A nasty niggling injury taking its time... more so than normal.  Always the optimist.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DT The Optimist said:

good spot & share by 1960 and quite entertaining !  Is he really a scouser ! 😷 Real accent, i am one of these who believes he will be our 'Barry Bannan' type player.... At least the DH interviews a week or so back put to bed the conspiracy theories that were doing the rounds. A nasty niggling injury taking its time... more so than normal.  Always the optimist.

I must admit I did think something might be going on!

I agree, I think he could be a quality player for us.

Will be fantastic competition in midfield once Walsh and Williams return

Anyone who has a few spare minutes and they have a mind to listen to LW, we are really mentioned from about 30mins onwards, he says he likes DH the new manager,  who in turn rates LW, and likes the way he plays.  He also says he has a 'nasty' injury and wants to get back to doing what he does best. (obviously). The impression I was left with is he's gong no where. 

• Like 1