IGNORED

Radio 1

joe jordans teeth

• Admin
16 hours ago, Big C said:

If the writers are happy for it to be censored I'm not sure why anyone else should moan about the removal

What Shane said was he wasn’t getting into an argument over it, I’m not sure he’s ever said he’s happy about it, the interviews I’ve read make it seem more like indifference.

1 hour ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Is it too simplistic for me to think that they've only censured it from R1 because the target audience are of that age that are offended by everything?

Yes that's way too simplistic. It's pretty clear it's the older generation that's offended by everything.

In the context of the song, the word is fine. But it is a homophobic slur. Radio 1 is aimed at kids and young people. It makes perfect sense to edit out swear words and racial/homophobic slurs.

Nobody was offended that they edited words out of Killing in the Name when it was Christmas number 1. Why is it so offensive to edit a word out of a different song?

Radio 2 and 6 will be playing it in full. And you can always buy/stream it if you really want to hear that word.

Just now, BS2 Red said:

Yes that's way too simplistic. It's pretty clear it's the older generation that's offended by everything.

In the context of the song, the word is fine. But it is a homophobic slur. Radio 1 is aimed at kids and young people. It makes perfect sense to edit out swear words and racial/homophobic slurs.

Nobody was offended that they edited words out of Killing in the Name when it was Christmas number 1. Why is it so offensive to edit a word out of a different song?

Radio 2 and 6 will be playing it in full. And you can always buy/stream it if you really want to hear that word.

Censoring it is not a recent thing either.  When it was re-released at Christmas in 1991 Shane MacGowan and Kirsty MacColl performed it on Top Of The Pops and replaced the offending word with 'haggard' instead.  They've been doing the same with Jilted John for many years as well, but I can't ever recall seeing it complained about as widely (granted it isn't as well-known a hit!)

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Censoring it is not a recent thing either.  When it was re-released at Christmas in 1991 Shane MacGowan and Kirsty MacColl performed it on Top Of The Pops and replaced the offending word with 'haggard' instead.  They've been doing the same with Jilted John for many years as well, but I can't ever recall seeing it complained about as widely (granted it isn't as well-known a hit!)

Yeah it makes sense that "bad" words are not broadcast when kids are listening.

The Cardi B example above is poor (I get it's a joke) as there is a radio edit that is played.

40 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

So, after a mere 33 years of being played to death every Christmas, it's now unacceptible. Still, it took over a century to bring down old Colston so maybe that's progress.

For hundreds of years we had streets called gropec*nt lane and there was no issue with people calling black people the N word.

And Fairytale of New York is still going to be played. 

I love Fairytale of New York but I can't help feeling the people getting easily offended here are the people crying, kicking and screaming at the side of naughty words being bleeped out on daytime Radio, as though that's not a thing that has long existed. 

I don't listen to Radio 1, unsurprisingly as I am not the target audience, so why on Earth would I or anyone else my age or older waste time crying and taking offence at a word being blanked out of a song when I can hear the version of that song on Radio 2, 6 Music, Spotify, a Pogues album, a Christmas compilation album or countless other places. It's hardly bloody Stalinism it?

As @BS2 Red says, the usual easily offended suspects are in full force  getting outraged about something that has no impact on them whatsoever. And they have so little self-awareness they're calling other people snowflakes...

20 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I love Fairytale of New York but I can't help feeling the people getting easily offended here are the people crying, kicking and screaming at the side of naughty words being bleeped out on daytime Radio, as though that's not a thing that has long existed. 

I don't listen to Radio 1, unsurprisingly as I am not the target audience, so why on Earth would I or anyone else my age or older waste time crying and taking offence at a word being blanked out of a song when I can hear the version of that song on Radio 2, 6 Music, Spotify, a Pogues album, a Christmas compilation album or countless other places. It's hardly bloody Stalinism it?

As @BS2 Red says, the usual easily offended suspects are in full force  getting outraged about something that has no impact on them whatsoever. And they have so little self-awareness they're calling other people snowflakes...

The main question is does the lyrics upset anyone and the question is no,the bbc which is a complete waste of everyone’s money have decided that it does,the sooner the bbc is shutdown the better 

5 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

So only black people are allowed to say the n word and only homosexuals can use the f word nowadays 

Where did I say that?

But yes, it makes sense that people can use words that are used against them.

Why would you want to use either word? And if you don't, why do you care that rappers do?

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

The main question is does the lyrics upset anyone and the question is no,the bbc which is a complete waste of everyone’s money have decided that it does,the sooner the bbc is shutdown the better 

Are you seriously suggesting that "faggot" (in the context of gay men) isn't an offensive slur? Do you think swearing should be left in songs that are played on daytime radio?

And it's Radio 1 that's decided it, not the BBC as a whole. The word will still be played on Radio 2 and 6 Music. 

1 minute ago, BS2 Red said:

Where did I say that?

But yes, it makes sense that people can use words that are used against them.

Why would you want to use either word? And if you don't, why do you care that rappers do?

Are you seriously suggesting that "faggot" (in the context of gay men) isn't an offensive slur? Do you think swearing should be left in songs that are played on daytime radio?

And it's Radio 1 that's decided it, not the BBC as a whole. The word will still be played on Radio 2 and 6 Music. 

It no point did I say you said that,it makes sense that black men can use that word against each other really? 

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

It no point did I say you said that,it makes sense that black men can use that word against each other really? 

Yes. It's called reclaiming it. 

Same as the word queer. That's homosexuals reclaiming the slur and making it their thing. 

I presume you're not black and not gay. Therefore, as previously asked, why would you want to use racist or homophobic slurs anyway? 

6 minutes ago, Selred said:

Yes. It's called reclaiming it. 

Same as the word queer. That's homosexuals reclaiming the slur and making it their thing. 

I presume you're not black and not gay. Therefore, as previously asked, why would you want to use racist or homophobic slurs anyway? 

I wouldn’t but should we rewrite history,and don’t presume things 

9 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Well you quoted me and then said "So only black people are allowed to say the n word and only homosexuals can use the f word nowadays "

That looks like you thought I'd said it.

You never answered the questions I asked either.

Just now, joe jordans teeth said:

That "rewrite history" nonsense again. What does that even mean?

It's a homophobic slur. That's being edited out of a song on a radio station whose audience are mostly kids.

I love Tarantino films. They have every word you can think of in. Horrible words. And that's why I don't think Pulp Fiction should be shown on CBeebies.

7 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Well you quoted me and then said "So only black people are allowed to say the n word and only homosexuals can use the f word nowadays "

That looks like you thought I'd said it.

You never answered the questions I asked either.

Should swearing be allowed on day time radio is a tough one but I would say yes,kids should be at school and if grown ups are offended by effing and jeffing then like someone said put Spotify on and listen to Christian music 

8 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Should swearing be allowed on day time radio is a tough one but I would say yes,kids should be at school and if grown ups are offended by effing and jeffing then like someone said put Spotify on and listen to Christian music 

You do know kids aren't always at school in the daytime? There's weekends, school holidays, sick days.....

There's also radios in cars, school buses, school reception areas, delivery vans...

9 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

You do know kids aren't always at school in the daytime? There's weekends, school holidays, sick days.....

There's also radios in cars, school buses, school reception areas, delivery vans...

Cmon kids should be in school between 9 and 3 week days,not out helping delivery drivers,school receptions don’t have the radio on its always some mundane generic tune,and as for cars then that’s down to the parents 

20 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Cmon kids should be in school between 9 and 3 week days,not out helping delivery drivers,school receptions don’t have the radio on its always some mundane generic tune,and as for cars then that’s down to the parents 

There are school holidays.

Delivery drivers drive into schools.

School receptions have radios on.

Parents should be able to have the radio on in the car.

I don't know why I'm going along with this ridiculous conversation, there are very few people that are actively campaigning for swearing in the radio at 11am. 

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Rewrite history? That's not possible. 

Its been done now, Radio 1 aren't playing it. So why rewrite history and make them change it back? See how silly the rewrite history argument is? 

34 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

There are school holidays.

Delivery drivers drive into schools.

School receptions have radios on.

Parents should be able to have the radio on in the car.

I don't know why I'm going along with this ridiculous conversation, there are very few people that are actively campaigning for swearing in the radio at 11am. 

Are you mad,do kids not swear at school then,do they not listen to their favourite pop stars swearing in songs,think you live in a different reality in all honesty 

Archived