IGNORED

Nagy (Merged)

Bassomylord

1 hour ago, SedRA said:

Don’t understand this bit, he consistently ranks in the top performers for pass completion. He likes to keep the ball moving rather than dwell on it, and is happy to receive it in tight situations. To me that is what you see in players that play well in possession based teams. 

1 hour ago, Bassomylord said:

Oh my Nagy is probably the only midfielder in our side who could play in a possession based side.

You are just being critical for the sake of it. Sad to see.

Honestly, I’m not picking on him for the sake of it. 
All his games I saw last season, he was occasionally panicky on the ball and he didn’t give me much confidence in receiving the ball in our own half, back to goal. There were a number of times last season where he had hot potato moments when getting a pass from his defence. 

In his recent 3 performances, he’s been much better in that respect and has certainly taken better ‘care’ of the ball. So it’s certainly an improvement on what I witnessed last season. So I’m happy with that. It’s good, it’s an improvement. 

However, whilst I have already agreed that he’s been good vs Cardiff and vs Derby, his passes completed in those matches are 46 & 38. 
46 today vs Derby. Every single Derby player except Waghorn (striker) and Holmes (subbed) made more passes. 
38 v Cardiff. 5 of their players made more. 
We had an average of 40% possession in those 2 games. 

I see no evidence that he can be the pivotal, tempo setting, ball playing, possession keeping defensive midfielder. 

As I said, don’t get me wrong. He’s done well recently from a defensive protection point of view, and he’s also taken better care of the ball than he did last season. But I’m still to be convinced he’s a long term, consistent option that we need to get out of this league. 

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I can see why LJ signed him now. He likes players with high stamina, and he certainly has that. 

I thought he was decent first half, but a lot better 2nd half, when really it was a harder job with Derby looking so dangerous.

He looks fit and confident. I like what I am seeing.

I thought Mark Ashton signed him and it was forced upon Johnson.  ???

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Fair play to Holden too for not being stubborn in it being Bakinson or his new signing Brunt. Not just a physical player to play in front of the defence. But Holden could see that Nagy can offer different things.

Yep, all about Holden allowing players to play to their strengths with the system, or a bit of vice-versa.  No point playing Nagy and asking him to be a destructive DM.  But you can play him at the base of a central midfield three and play it differently, and focus on good shape and pinching the ball through interceptions and bad opposition touches.

Personally, although I thought he had a good game, and he borrowed Weimann’s batteries, I didn’t think it was a MOTM performance.  

45 minutes ago, Harry said:

Honestly, I’m not picking on him for the sake of it. 
All his games I saw last season, he was occasionally panicky on the ball and he didn’t give me much confidence in receiving the ball in our own half, back to goal. There were a number of times last season where he had hot potato moments when getting a pass from his defence. 

In his recent 3 performances, he’s been much better in that respect and has certainly taken better ‘care’ of the ball. So it’s certainly an improvement on what I witnessed last season. So I’m happy with that. It’s good, it’s an improvement. 

However, whilst I have already agreed that he’s been good vs Cardiff and vs Derby, his passes completed in those matches are 46 & 38. 
46 today vs Derby. Every single Derby player except Waghorn (striker) and Holmes (subbed) made more passes. 
38 v Cardiff. 5 of their players made more. 
We had an average of 40% possession in those 2 games. 

I see no evidence that he can be the pivotal, tempo setting, ball playing, possession keeping defensive midfielder. 

As I said, don’t get me wrong. He’s done well recently from a defensive protection point of view, and he’s also taken better care of the ball than he did last season. But I’m still to be convinced he’s a long term, consistent option that we need to get out of this league. 

I still think he will be better if we can pair him with someone to share the workload to allow him to play a more dynamic role where he can push beyond other players.  We’ve seen it in flashes, and I think that is the next challenge....but we possibly need Bakinson or Williams alongside him to see that.  He worked hard first half to give Kalas a passing option when others ran away from Tomas.  

4 hours ago, daored said:

This guy is class MOTM for me closely followed by another solid performance by Vyner.

Nagy has to be the player our midfield is built around, covers so much ground and calm in possession 

Finally glad to see people seeing what some of us saw at the start of last season. He’s an outstanding player

3 hours ago, SedRA said:

I was at Birmingham away and have been a committed disciple ever since. Glad to see he’s finding his feet after that unfortunate injury and is now starting to change peoples perceptions of him. 

Quality player. 

Me too, was a hell of a debut. I said on here in the summer that he is iur best midfielder when the discussions over who would be sold were going on ( called Morrell on that too ?)

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought Mark Ashton signed him and it was forced upon Johnson.  ???

Yep, all about Holden allowing players to play to their strengths with the system, or a bit of vice-versa.  No point playing Nagy and asking him to be a destructive DM.  But you can play him at the base of a central midfield three and play it differently, and focus on good shape and pinching the ball through interceptions and bad opposition touches.

Personally, although I thought he had a good game, and he borrowed Weimann’s batteries, I didn’t think it was a MOTM performance.  

I still think he will be better if we can pair him with someone to share the workload to allow him to play a more dynamic role where he can push beyond other players.  We’ve seen it in flashes, and I think that is the next challenge....but we possibly need Bakinson or Williams alongside him to see that.  He worked hard first half to give Kalas a passing option when others ran away from Tomas.  

Mmmm....Kalas being on the left, one can only assume you are referring to Mr O’Dowda ?

24 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Personally, I felt Adam did a few things very well (intercepting, making available). But, I also thought the initial  touch was very heavy on a few occasions and a more aggressive/targeted press could have really exposed him. 

A good game for me, but not one without concerns due to that.

It would have as he had Paterson and odowda with him.

5 hours ago, SedRA said:

I was at Birmingham away and have been a committed disciple ever since. Glad to see he’s finding his feet after that unfortunate injury and is now starting to change peoples perceptions of him. 

Quality player. 

Yep; I was there as well and saw in that one performance exactly what he brings. People forget that he got selected for his country and was played, against the club's advice, with a suspected injury and duly got injured and then played a lot of games without being entirely fit.

He's a quality player and it's up to Deano to get the best combination out of Nagy, Williams, Bakinson and Walsh.

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Personally, I felt Adam did a few things very well (intercepting, making available). But, I also thought the initial  touch was very heavy on a few occasions and a more aggressive/targeted press could have really exposed him. 

A good game for me, but not one without concerns due to that.

Unsurprising he was a bit leggy given he`d played five games in sixteen days and jetted all over Europe doing it.

9 hours ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

Glad to see Adam getting good press. He and Paul Simpson are no strangers having worked together at VSI Rio Maior Football Club so I am hoping the reunion will only help to bring the best out of him

Whoa there...what's that?

24 minutes ago, RedNachos said:

Nice to see the Bristol Post give him a 6/10. (Lower than Brunt and Pato)

Bristol Post ??

I thought Brunt was pretty poor again when he came on. Wasteful on the ball a couple of times. And please someone stop him taking set pieces. He doesnt have the ball like his prime days. 

As for Nagy bare in mind he ran his absolute socks off for Hungary in a few very big games in the week. He was energetic and full of venom yesterday. Yes his passing was slightly woeful at times however I honestly believe him with Bakinson would be a very fitting CM. Will free up either Pato or O'Dowda to get into those tight spaces between oppositions defence and midfield. I'm still not convinced playing both ODowda and Pato together is quite the solution. 

14 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It is on wiki however I have been watching football in Hungary for 4 decades, this was the first match my Dad took me to (pre teens) Hungary vs Yugoslavia, 29 May 1974 (eu-football.info) brilliant game, even if was just a "friendly" (there was no such thing as a friendly with them)

I've seen many, games including some more recent highlights:-

Debrecen v Man Utd Aug 2005 (in Budapest, national stadium)

Hungary v Germany friendly May 2010 (Budapest, national stadium)

Budapest Honved v Anzhi Makhachkala July 12 when Anzhi triggered Messi's £205m release clause (Gus Hiddink in charge, Samuel Eto got 2)

Hungary v Northern Ireland - 2014 Euro qualifier (Groupama stadium, Budapest)

and many more...

I haven't been for a bit, last domestic game I went to was MTK v Puskas Accadamy (2 years ago)

On 21/11/2020 at 15:36, Swede said:

Yep; I was there as well and saw in that one performance exactly what he brings. People forget that he got selected for his country and was played, against the club's advice, with a suspected injury and duly got injured and then played a lot of games without being entirely fit.

He's a quality player and it's up to Deano to get the best combination out of Nagy, Williams, Bakinson and Walsh.

That was my thoughts entirely while reading this thread. He’s looking like the player we first signed. Perhaps he’s fully fit now. Either way it’s very encouraging. Watford will be a good test for him as well ?? 

6 hours ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

It is on wiki however I have been watching football in Hungary for 4 decades, this was the first match my Dad took me to (pre teens) Hungary vs Yugoslavia, 29 May 1974 (eu-football.info) brilliant game, even if was just a "friendly" (there was no such thing as a friendly with them)

I've seen many, games including some more recent highlights:-

Debrecen v Man Utd Aug 2005 (in Budapest, national stadium)

Hungary v Germany friendly May 2010 (Budapest, national stadium)

Budapest Honved v Anzhi Makhachkala July 12 when Anzhi triggered Messi's £205m release clause (Gus Hiddink in charge, Samuel Eto got 2)

Hungary v Northern Ireland - 2014 Euro qualifier (Groupama stadium, Budapest)

and many more...

I haven't been for a bit, last domestic game I went to was MTK v Puskas Accadamy (2 years ago)

Out of interest did you do the England games back in 1992 ? 
that’s were Andy Cole made his debut for England under 21,s I think 

45 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Gave Bentley 5 too, in a game when he kept a clean sheet & made two decent saves..

GMc's ratings are consistently way off the mark, IMO. The Nagy rating is an absolute joke, especially comparing it to Brunt's. For me, Nagy, Vyner and Semenyo were our best players v Derby. 

Anyway, back to Nagy. Delighted to see him doing well and seemingly fully fit. 

9 hours ago, real_bristol said:

That was my thoughts entirely while reading this thread. He’s looking like the player we first signed. Perhaps he’s fully fit now. Either way it’s very encouraging. Watford will be a good test for him as well ?? 

If Nagy isn’t fit then to have played 5 games in 15 days is some effort, and makes him a non-human.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If Nagy isn’t fit then to have played 5 games in 15 days is some effort, and makes him a non-human.

Transfermarkt curiously states that both Nagy and Massengo missed the first 7 or so games due to an ankle injuries. I thought they'd just been frozen out?

Either way, Nagy has shown his Championship quality in these past three games (wins!), and whilst he might not be a long term servant, he's clearly a decent player.

Archived