Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Great win, but...


Recommended Posts

Just now, Prinny said:

... it's even better considering the circumstances of the week!

Really pleased that Vyner in the post match alluded to a "no excuses" mentality. That's precisely the way to go about it.

I totally agree.

Given the week we've had, I don't think many expected to win.

Blinding result.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Prinny said:

... it's even better considering the circumstances of the week!

Really pleased that Vyner in the post match alluded to a "no excuses" mentality. That's precisely the way to go about it.

It shows that we have a set of lads who give their all in any situation but it isn’t enough for way too many unfortunately.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Today was always going to be a tricky fixture for lots of reasons, but we got 3 points and a very important 3 points they are too.

The next two games will pose problems of a different kind, but at least we have more than one formation in the locker.

I appreciate it is not pretty at the moment, but there is a lot of good work going on and I'm genuinely finding it very interesting.

I stand by my pre-season assumption we will finish mid-table, only because I didn't think our squad was strong enough to maintain a season long push with so many games so close together, but the more I see of the other teams the less I feel we need to be frightened of anybody. 

Not getting carried away but feeling more optimistic, can't wait to get back down The Gate.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I totally agree.

Given the week we've had, I don't think many expected to win.

Blinding result.

I’ll put my hand up and say well and truly I did.

A poor Derby team in dire form, bottom of the table and no doubt confusing messages from a strange management ‘trio’ who are all internally fighting for the job.

I think with a bit more quality though from Derby and perhaps a touch of luck they would have had one goal and possibly a penalty today.

That said, given our circumstances, COVID and injuries and preparation or lack of, it’s still a great win that I’m delighted with.
 

Defensively solid and one moment of quality to win the game, that’s the championship for you where anyone can beat anyone I guess!

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CiderHeadDan said:

I’d argue that Forest was the best result so far. However, this is an easy second followed by the Cardiff smash and grab!

In previous years, we could well have lost all 3 Dan. We can shithouse with the best now which is a vast improvement. No more soft underbelly. :)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CiderHeadDan said:

I agree, however I still think we will struggle against the top teams with quality.

I think you're right Dan fwiw but we're doing just fine at the mo with players to, eventually, return.

Got to be happy with 3rd given all our problems thus far.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CiderHeadDan said:

I agree, however I still think we will struggle against the top teams with quality.

Norwich! That`s the only time so far this season where we have looked like boys v men. Even then we didn`t lie down and almost got something out of the game (albeit Norwich took their foot off and I don`t doubt they could have gone up a gear if needed)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, CiderHeadDan said:

I agree, however I still think we will struggle against the top teams with quality.

I’m only seeing two quality teams in this league, Norwich and Bournemouth, and they both beat us. Had we taken chances first half at Bournemouth that could have finished differently too. Maybe Brentford who seem to be starting slow. After that who in our league is real quality?

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I’m only seeing two quality teams in this league, Norwich and Bournemouth, and they both beat us. Had we taken chances first half at Bournemouth that could have finished differently too. Maybe Brentford who seem to be starting slow. After that who in our league is real quality?

Watford next will be a decent barometer of where we are. You'd expect them to be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Watford next will be a decent barometer of where we are. You'd expect them to be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

Yeah, I missed Watford tbf. After them, Bournemouth, Norwich and Brentford you can pick any 2 from about 14.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slack Bladder said:

Today was always going to be a tricky fixture for lots of reasons, but we got 3 points and a very important 3 points they are too.

The next two games will pose problems of a different kind, but at least we have more than one formation in the locker.

I appreciate it is not pretty at the moment, but there is a lot of good work going on and I'm genuinely finding it very interesting.

I stand by my pre-season assumption we will finish mid-table, only because I didn't think our squad was strong enough to maintain a season long push with so many games so close together, but the more I see of the other teams the less I feel we need to be frightened of anybody. 

Not getting carried away but feeling more optimistic, can't wait to get back down The Gate.

Very Good post and similar to my thoughts

The only thing I would add is that this is a very ordinary league this year and with how we’ve started we now ought to be hoping for better than mid table 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dragonreds said:

I thought we might run out of steam today but whatever the fitness coach is doing pay him double

Not the same fitness coach who some on here are blaming before all the injuries 😂😂😂

3 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I’ll put my hand up and say well and truly I did.

A poor Derby team in dire form, bottom of the table and no doubt confusing messages from a strange management ‘trio’ who are all internally fighting for the job.

I think with a bit more quality though from Derby and perhaps a touch of luck they would have had one goal and possibly a penalty today.

That said, given our circumstances, COVID and injuries and preparation or lack of, it’s still a great win that I’m delighted with.
 

Defensively solid and one moment of quality to win the game, that’s the championship for you where anyone can beat anyone I guess!

Having fully expected the Sky Sports info ticker to be a mistake, I was worried who the two missing would be.  Much as I didn’t want anyone out, Bakinson and Massengo being the two were less of a worry than say Kalas and Martin bring the two.

So, I thought we’d get a win too.  At the hour point I was happy to take a point because I saw the game opening up and thought it was a toss-up if either side would create the chance to win.  As a City fan you fear the worst.

As it happens, Holden showed his hand first, bringing on Fam for Martin (who had a poor game) and Brunt for O’Dowda (who had a quiet game but worked hard enough), which probably was a slight tweak with Brunt more conservative, but not a “let’s sit in and take the 0-0”.  Against a Norwich or the like I probably would’ve accepted it wasn’t a great performance and be glad to take a point.

Within 4 minutes Pato should’ve done better from 15 yards, and I sensed that with Fam and Antoine winning balls aerially that we might fashion another good chance or two. And that’s what we did for Fam’s goal and also Brunt in added time, where he had more time.  In the interim, Holden went to 541 with Moore coming on.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Need to improve against the teams above us 👀👀👀

 

C70056EA-BB61-44F5-A949-CE7C616DF1A3.jpeg

Still just over a quarter of the way through I know, but worth pointing out we are competing with 3 sides in the top five with parachute payments & the other paying someone a reputed £80k a week..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...