IGNORED

Dean Holden

Motorwayman

A third of the team not available and we still manage to play attacking football, we are not scoring many but the style shows something we’ve not seen a lot of in the last couple of seasons! Holden has brought back some confidence and belief, never thought it would happen - 3rd in the table now, we are a much better prospect for a new year push than we ever were under LJ. Cant wait to get back to the gate!

Remember the buzz when Reid, Brien and Burns came on, which lifted the supporters! It’s coming back!

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

But unfair considering the amount of injuries to key players and that we're third in the league. 

The strange thing is our best football was probably played first half at Bournemouth and second half v Norwich......and we lost both!!

I’m sure that when he can sort the midfield out properly Holden will get us playing.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Broken record time from me again but the only decision I have a problem with is why did he seem to freeze Adam Nagy out until circumstances forced his hand. We can all see what he brings to the side so why wasn`t he getting game time earlier?

I think he has a selection “policy” that he wants to stick to bar rotation and rest.  At the start of the season we were winning with a midfield that Nagy couldn’t get into.  It’s not just Nagy who’s had to wait his turn.  If you’re in possession of the shirt I believe Holden will give you every opportunity to keep hold of it.  Massengo had possession, Bakinson took it. Brunt got Swansea with Bakinson rested, and by the time Huddersfield came around and Bakinson’s headache, he got his chance.

For me that’s massively refreshing from the previous regime where players came from beyond the wilderness to play and then disappear again after 1 or 2 games.

Holden might be sticking a bit too rigidly too it in some respects, but I doubt the players are worried about whims of selection and non-selection though, or “I’m playing my trusted players this week”.

Nagy having got back in, will now see that if he continues to keep his levels of performance up, he will stay in the team.  That’s a big carrot.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think he has a selection “policy” that he wants to stick to bar rotation and rest.  At the start of the season we were winning with a midfield that Nagy couldn’t get into.  It’s not just Nagy who’s had to wait his turn.  If you’re in possession of the shirt I believe Holden will give you every opportunity to keep hold of it.  Massengo had possession, Bakinson took it. Brunt got Swansea with Bakinson rested, and by the time Huddersfield came around and Bakinson’s headache, he got his chance.

For me that’s massively refreshing from the previous regime where players came from beyond the wilderness to play and then disappear again after 1 or 2 games.

Holden might be sticking a bit too rigidly too it in some respects, but I doubt the players are worried about whims of selection and non-selection though, or “I’m playing my trusted players this week”.

Nagy having got back in, will now see that if he continues to keep his levels of performance up, he will stay in the team.  That’s a big carrot.

I agree with a lot of this but it doesn`t explain why Adam couldn`t even get in the squad when we had no fit midfielders on the bench.

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I agree with a lot of this but it doesn`t explain why Adam couldn`t even get in the squad when we had no fit midfielders on the bench.

When has that happened?

I think we can safely say that most of our traditional views of a midfielder / shape of midfield has gone out of the window under Holden, since he “stupidly” (?) picked a midfield that had Pato and Weimann last season, and took that into this season, and continued it by play COD in there too.

I think we need to shift our thinking and also remember Holden’s rationale like “I left Jay out today because I could cover LWB and CM with O’Dowda, or I could move Tommy Rowe in there”.  It’s different to what we are used to.

25 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

What game have we not had a midfielder on the bench?

You could say we’ve only had one but that seems to be by choice as he’s done it several times. The games Nagy has missed he hasn’t been the only one missing, often massengo too

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When has that happened?

I think we can safely say that most of our traditional views of a midfielder / shape of midfield has gone out of the window under Holden, since he “stupidly” (?) picked a midfield that had Pato and Weimann last season, and took that into this season, and continued it by play COD in there too.

I think we need to shift our thinking and also remember Holden’s rationale like “I left Jay out today because I could cover LWB and CM with O’Dowda, or I could move Tommy Rowe in there”.  It’s different to what we are used to.

12 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

What game have we not had a midfielder on the bench?

You could say we’ve only had one but that seems to be by choice as he’s done it several times. The games Nagy has missed he hasn’t been the only one missing, often massengo too

I hear what you`re both saying but it just seemed to me that he wasn`t in Dean`s plans which seemed a crying waste of a talent.

24 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Can I also just pay tribute to his assistants, Simpson and Downing. Im sure its not all about DH, and Simpson especially, must be a great help to have alongside him. I love listening to his interviews and believe a lot of our success so far is down to him.

Tonight’s RB interview was about collective praise, not just for the players, but the staff...and also he mentioned some staff that work all week with the players and staff, but they aren’t allowed at AG because COVID rules limits the number of staff allowed.  I don’t think I’ve heard him really congratulate himself at all....yet he’s won 7 out of 12, 9 out of 17 in league matches overall.

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I hear what you`re both saying but it just seemed to me that he wasn`t in Dean`s plans which seemed a crying waste of a talent.

absolutely....I just think of there being a pecking order....which he’s worked his way up.

39 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Can I also just pay tribute to his assistants, Simpson and Downing. Im sure its not all about DH, and Simpson especially, must be a great help to have alongside him. I love listening to his interviews and believe a lot of our success so far is down to him.

I think it’s s great “team” that we seem to have now. Experience and new ideas, a great mix. A confident leader is always happy to let others get all the praise, LJ always seemed to be projecting himself as the be all and end all 

Dean taking no nonsense in the post match press conference either. Fair play. Quite what some fans and some journalists were expecting from us today after the last fortnight is beyond me. 

“Dean, you must be so pleased with that result, do you think your team looked a little bit rusty because of the international break or the lack of preparation?

Is that a serious question, we looked a bit rusty? 

Both teams in the final third for much of the game didn’t create a huge deal, but there was a lot of grit, great defending, and a good result. But from both teams, it wasn’t the best-attacking display today was it?

For the players to put in that performance with a 35- to 40-minute training session on Thursday and the same on Friday morning, I’m so proud of. I don’t think it was ever going to be a 5-0 victory today, I think people think ‘Bristol City have started the season well, they’re playing a Derby team who are bottom of the league.’ Look at the squad of players they’ve got. 

The preparation we’ve had for this game has been terrible. It’s been a terrible preparation for a game. It’s as simple as that. I’m a little bit surprised at your question, but it's a great 1-0 victory against a top team. They should be right up the top end of the table, there’s no doubt about that. It’s probably been our toughest game of the season, with everything going on

How many players and staff were out altogether? The national press said about 10, is that right or was there a lot more than that?

It was a lot more than that, yes. “

I still think there are issues, I'd question decisions and subs occasionally, but to have us where we are, with 8/9 first team players out and not being able to train properly this week, is little short of amazing. We have to give him time to get his first choice starting XI out on the pitch to really see where we're at. In the mean time I have been impressed with his post match reviews. Just heard the Moose on Instagram doing the post match, clear, calm and taking little or no credit for anything, while praising the players. Nice refreshing change from LJ who sometimes used the anyone but me when it came to blame.

10 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Totally agree its not just the head coach but the assistant coaches and the culture in the club which has increased 100% since LJ left us.

1 hour ago, Crackers Corner said:

There is a no nonsense attitude in the later interviews and you feel he has found his feet.

The guy is clearly very likeable but as you say, in recent interviews you can sense that he also has a tough side to him. Good combination ?

1 hour ago, sludge said:

The guy is clearly very likeable but as you say, in recent interviews you can sense that he also has a tough side to him. Good combination ?

Said this early in his tenure , definitive & difficult decisions made re Korey , Morrell etc

I think he’s a very decent bloke and loyal , but able to make hard decisions and take the p*** , or don’t apply yourself ,  at your peril I’d suggest 

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

Said this early in his tenure , definitive & difficult decisions made re Korey , Morrell etc

I think he’s a very decent bloke and loyal , but able to make hard decisions and take the p*** , or don’t apply yourself ,  at your peril I’d suggest 

Spot on ?

2 hours ago, joshthomson said:

His honesty is fantastic. Fans are quick to complain about how quiet the club is sometimes. Sounds like the city camp has had a pretty torrid 2 weeks. Deano hits the nail on the head in the post match interview. I think the club were spot on keeping quiet about the Covid situation. 

This. Despite the clamour for information from fans and the media it would have served no useful purpose to give us all the gory details. Some things are better left under wraps and perhaps in the future we can accept that the club is dealing with problems without (some people) going off on one and insisting on EFL enquiries, fines and the like.

5 minutes ago, 77 punk said:

to have over over ten people out with covid at the club and very minimal training sessions ,yesterdays result was superb.

Quite, and had the roles been reversed and we had lost to a team in those circumstances the very same posters claiming “it doesn’t excuse our performance” on the match thread at 0-0 yesterday would have been raging about getting beat by a “Covid ravaged team”. Guaranteed.

2 hours ago, joshthomson said:

His honesty is fantastic. 

" .....sometimes ..... the honesty's too much, for me, mate; and I have to close my eyes .... and hide.

(But) I want Dean Holden til I die, til we both, er, breakdown and cry,

I want Dean Holden til the fear in me subsides.

And who are we to judge you, on what you say or do?

We're only just beginning to see the real you

And sometimes when we touch, the honesty's too much .....  "

Name that song @British Steel! Year, and UK chart number too, please .....

7 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

" .....sometimes ..... the honesty's too much, for me, mate; and I have to close my eyes .... and hide.

(But) I want Dean Holden til I die, til we both, er, breakdown and cry,

I want Dean Holden til the fear in me subsides.

Too much honesty from you there MoP.

Archived