IGNORED

Wells.

BCFC1512

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Works really hard as he does when up front. But his best role by far is being a number 9 on the shoulder. I think O'Dowda or Paterson wide left would be better.

Agree & think that will probably happen when all our midfielders are eventually fit. Don’t think we’ll play 433 all the time though. 

1 hour ago, bexhill reds said:

His social media feed was very QPR centric, it’s clear he was happy playing there. 

He looked massively disinterested at the tail end of last season after his move, when you’d have thought he would be at his most keen to impress, and sometimes I think he is just going through the motions now.  

In answer to your question his body language and my gut feeling.

The body language of him working really hard for the team?

19 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Whether you like it or not, use of social media these days is beyond the level of a picture of your sausage and chips for tea. Most big companies have a little dabble in to social media feeds when background screening someone for a job, Marcus Rashford got 2 Gov u-turns using it, and Donald is trying to remain president through it.

I don’t think you can argue that Wells wasn’t happy living in London, he was playing in a team that he had clearly bonded with and scoring goals.

whether he’ll be an out and out success here is another question, is it right player wrong system or right system wrong player? He is a proven goal scorer which is why he’s always had clubs knocking on his door. 

Personally I remain unconvinced, but it’s all about opinions.

I've said before on here, I've got mates who are QPR and from our early interest they were saying that Wells had said he was happy there, he wanted to stay. I think that was before we had put a bid in.
Wells had played up front with Hugil and played up front on his own. He's a Pro , I don't think for one moment that moving here would affect him on the pitch. Also I don't think he's really misfiring because of his role in the team or position. IMO the simple fact is we don't make many chances at the moment andI don't think the service to any of our forwards has been great, he's pretty much been feeding on scraps. 

He has looked out of sorts, he's worked and dropped deep/ pulled wide to get possession and he's been the one dragging defenders around to make space for others. If we can improve supply he could be a massive asset, I also think, us getting players like Walsh and Bakinson fit will help that. Someone with vision to feed Wells in earlier. IMO getting NW scoring is very important to how high we finish this year.

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think we can agree he was happy in London. That’s a different question to whether he’s happy here. Social media wise, I think you’ll find he likes and retweet’s a lot of the clubs output - and I could quite easily say that’s proof he’s happy here.

The question as to whether he’ll be successful here is totally different to whether he feels he’s been torn away from QPR, and basing such conclusions on social media is ridiculous. 

I’m happy to debate if he’s the best fit for us or this system (personally I think it was an odd buy in view of how we play, but he has done well enough for me to not say he’s been a flop to date), but the social media conclusions are just rubbish.

I’m not Italian American and don’t wear a pompadour wig. It’s all nonsense so let’s just stick to objective facts?

Love to debate social media use with you, but I suspect that its pint and a pub  conversation and not a forum thing. 

I’ll leave it as this, if we get Nakhi scoring 20 goals a season, we won’t be a million miles away from the top 6 if not higher, and we all want that.

He’s been working hard for the team & getting in decent positions but more often than not been unfortunate with his finishes. 

Just think how good he’ll be when the rate of conversion starts increasing & has a run of games with goals.

The opposition just can’t rule out keeping him marked & therefore his role is also applying offensive pressure.

I believe he’ll come good soon in terms of goals per game.

The bloke is literally our joint top scorer in the league - after 10 games (half of which he's either been out on the wing ['wide forward'] or not on the pitch), I don't think there's anything to worry about.

The change of shape has meant he's slightly out of position but it has definitely brought out the best in Semenyo, and also making really effective use of Martin & Diedhiou. As a fan I'm quite certain we will change shape again at some point.

NW's determination, skill & experience will give the coaching staff confidence that they have nothing to worry about up front, provided the defence and midfield can adjust, for the time being we're thin on the ground - if it takes playing Wells out of position for us to win games, I'm sure he is all for it!

2 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

I’m glad he’s annoyed at being sub. But currently he’s being outshone by a youngster who’s not had any exposure at this level previously.... He can’t honestly look back at the game today and think Semenyo should have made way instead of him.

I can imagine Nakhi wants to play through the middle so can't imagine he would've been bothered about how Antonio affects his standing in the team.

Besides, he came off with less than 10 minutes to go for a centre half so he would've known it was tactical rather than performance related.

Personally, I thought he put a decent shift in today and had nothing to be disappointed about with regards to his performance.

I struggle a lot sometimes to understand what people see that I don’t.

I see it as pretty clear that Wells is our main sharp edge and in Holden’s favoured 3-5-2/5-3-2, it is Wells plus another. Due to Chris Martin’s great contribution and Semenyo playing himself into undroppable territory, and our in/out injury situation, we have adapted formation and Nahki is playing wide in a 3-4-3, during which time we have done alright and he has grafted like a true professional.

Cannot see why we should be looking for an angle to criticise?

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

He seems decent alongside a big man but I think his best form as generally been up top with someone threading balls through. Huddersfield and QPR he looked most dangerous in the 4231 as the main striker.

But that doesn't mean we have to play him there. It might get the best out of him, but might not be best for us as a team.

It might be that he is best for us in roles that require more tracking back and linking up. If Holden feels we need a Martin or Fam up top.

Boom ? 

Ive often said that sometimes a player or two might have to be sacrificed for the greater good of the team.  I’ve usually said it about the WBs because I’m a firm believer that by keeping 8 players in the centre of the pitch we’ll be stronger than with 6 in say a 442.

There ain’t one system out there that doesn’t require compromise somewhere.

I’m not worried about his lack of goals when he’s playing out of position. Look at Fam’s goal yesterday. Without Wells’ run to the near post, taking a marker with him, Fam doesn’t have the space to take a touch before that superb finish. He’s contributing indirectly, however, I’d have liked to seen him play the width of the six-yard box with Semenyo one side and Eliasson on the other. That could’ve carried a serious goal threat.

A few ridiculous comments on here, the bloke is a proper goalscorer with a better than 1 in 3 career average. You don't get that by being "duff"... ?!

More like he is suffering the Bristol City strikers curse which we are all so familiar with, we have had SO many capable strikers arrive here with decent records, do nothing, move on and resume regular scoring. The list is a mile long and stretches back decades...

More recently, this was down to the conservative style of play prevalent at this club since the mid 2000's, somehow we reached the play-off final for the premier league with our top scorer for the league season on 8...!!!!!!? (however, and paradoxically, we probably played the some of the best football I have ever seen in nearly 50 years of watching City from August to December that season...)

The current incumbent is trying to rectify the decade+ lack of attacking play and we look better for it but there is still some work to do and playing a striker out of position is not great but it seems to be the popular thing to do now (Aubameyang on the left = lunacy) however I suppose most people would be happy to be playing in a team that is in 3rd place and one point off the top of the division

11 hours ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

A few ridiculous comments on here, the bloke is a proper goalscorer with a better than 1 in 3 career average. You don't get that by being "duff"... ?!

More like he is suffering the Bristol City strikers curse which we are all so familiar with, we have had SO many capable strikers arrive here with decent records, do nothing, move on and resume regular scoring. The list is a mile long and stretches back decades...

More recently, this was down to the conservative style of play prevalent at this club since the mid 2000's, somehow we reached the play-off final for the premier league with our top scorer for the league season on 8...!!!!!!? (however, and paradoxically, we probably played the some of the best football I have ever seen in nearly 50 years of watching City from August to December that season...)

The current incumbent is trying to rectify the decade+ lack of attacking play and we look better for it but there is still some work to do and playing a striker out of position is not great but it seems to be the popular thing to do now (Aubameyang on the left = lunacy) however I suppose most people would be happy to be playing in a team that is in 3rd place and one point off the top of the division

We had 20+ goal strikers for every season 2014/15 - 17/18 with Wilbs, Kodjia, Tammy and Reid? Or are you saying it’s a problem with already established goal scorers who join us? 

12 hours ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

More recently, this was down to the conservative style of play prevalent at this club since the mid 2000's, somehow we reached the play-off final for the premier league with our top scorer for the league season on 8...!!!!!!? (however, and paradoxically, we probably played the some of the best football I have ever seen in nearly 50 years of watching City from August to December that season...

I know it is off topic but I really struggle with this sweeping statement.

Goater, Akinbiyi, Maynard, Baldock, Reid, Kodjia & Abraham have all been prolific for us over the relatively recent past.

I actually think we have been pretty lucky with our front men, we currently have the much maligned Diedhiou who has 39 goals in 94 starts, 30 sub appearances, too. The best record of his career.

Strikers certainly do no worse on average here than they do elsewhere, no matter what some may think.

The ones I can think of who struggled such as Trundle or a couple of poor foreign signings like Engvall & Styvar, simply never did it at the level we were at for anyone else, either..

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Goater, Akinbiyi, Maynard, Baldock, Reid, Kodjia & Abraham have all been prolific for us over the relatively recent past.

I actually think we have been pretty lucky with our front men, we currently have the much maligned Diedhiou who has 39 goals in 94 starts, 30 sub appearances, too. The best record of his career.

Strikers certainly do no worse on average here than they do elsewhere, no matter what some may think.

The ones I can think of who struggled such as Trundle or a couple of poor foreign signings like Engvall & Styvar, simply never did it at the level we were at for anyone else, either..

Good post & interesting points Graham

Ive always thought that generally over the decades we’ve had plenty of ‘decent strikers’ , but just not enough excellent ones

And if course, as you will be aware of being of similar vintage , until Bobby and since Mabbutt we haven't successfully produced one ourselves which is poor (app 35 yrs !)

Players like Goater (I remember being ‘meh’ when we signed him !) And SuperBob don’t come along often and it’s no coincidence they shot us to promotion

(I always wonder where we might have got , if we’d hung onto them , as both went on to distinguish themselves at higher levels)

Theres a few over the years that I wonder what could have been (Maynard pre ski gate etc) 

As a wildcard I always thought Colin Cramb could have been a real gem who could have taken us somewhere , if he’d looked after himself 

10 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Good post & interesting points Graham

Ive always thought that generally over the decades we’ve had plenty of ‘decent strikers’ , but just not enough excellent ones

And if course, as you will be aware of being of similar vintage , until Bobby and since Mabbutt we haven't successfully produced one ourselves which is poor (app 35 yrs !)

Players like Goater (I remember being ‘meh’ when we signed him !) And SuperBob don’t come along often and it’s no coincidence they shot us to promotion

(I always wonder where we might have got , if we’d hung onto them , as both went on to distinguish themselves at higher levels)

Theres a few over the years that I wonder what could have been (Maynard pre ski gate etc) 

As a wildcard I always thought Colin Cramb could have been a real gem who could have taken us somewhere , if he’d looked after himself 

Great point about Reid, our record with producing goalkeepers & strikers ourselves have both been equally woeful over the years.

Unbelievably up until Max O’Leary we hadn’t produced a keeper ourselves since Ray Cashley if we take Steve Phillips as a product of Paulton Rovers & despite a few local youngsters like Ricky Chandler, Nigel Hawkins, Dominic Barclay, Jennison Myrie-Williams & ahem, Marvin Brown all getting their chance with us, none of them “made it”.

Let’s hope Antoine Semenyo ends that barren run, too.

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Great point about Reid, our record with producing goalkeepers & strikers ourselves have both been equally woeful over the years.

Unbelievably up until Max O’Leary we hadn’t produced a keeper ourselves since Ray Cashley if we take Steve Phillips as a product of Paulton Rovers & despite a few local youngsters like Ricky Chandler, Nigel Hawkins, Dominic Barclay, Jennison Myrie-Williams & ahem, Marvin Brown all getting their chance with us, none of them “made it”.

You’ve forgotten , later Liverpool legend....

Mike Hooper ! 

;)

57 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Bang on - and going back just a little further you've got Andy Cole, Bob Taylor, etc.

In fact, despite our rather modest achievements we haven't half been spoiled at times with some fabulous front men.

That doesn't mean we haven't bought any duds upfront, but then again we've bought duds all over the rest of the pitch as well - and we're not alone in that. You can apply that to every single team on the planet. No-one gets it right all of the time. 

Talk of a strikers curse is bananas and simply doesn't stand up to even the gentlest scrutiny. 

23 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Can I throw in an absolute wild card of Wayne Brown who played one game for us in goal having come through the ranks, and then, IIRC, had a decent lower league career. Think he made his debut on the last day of a season?

Or am I totally wrong!

Archived