IGNORED

Wells.

BCFC1512

33 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

As a wildcard I always thought Colin Cramb could have been a real gem who could have taken us somewhere , if he’d looked after himself 

Very good shout re Cramb. Intelligent footballer. Could play as a striker or just behind. Poor man’s Sheringham type of thing. Clarkson was a bit like that, too. I also rated Christian Roberts who, like Cramb, had an off-field lifestyle that didn’t go well with being a professional sportsman.

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Born Lockleaze and went to Swansea Uni - Think he was here Dave but went to Uni rather than a traditional apprenticeship of the time ( We also had few if any apprentices at time due to being broke  ) 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Swansea University, I believe.

Ah, yes, you’re right.  Actually recall seeing him in Bristol Boys photos.

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Ah, yes, you’re right.  Actually recall seeing him in Bristol Boys photos.

As I say Dave - I’m not sure we had any ‘youth system’ at all at that time 

We signed a few when they were 18 and a few from non league 

It was only when YTS came in that we had apprentices again IIRC

Until Jordan took over we had no coaching set up , no coaching schools , let alone academy for any age below the YTS lads , who had one coach

I think it is a major reason why we have’nt produced many top quality players until the more recent years - 

Between 82 and probably the mid 90s we had nothing or nothing in even a basic youth set up - Over 10 years - incredible really 

Even then it was far from ideal , from scouting to any real development and the set up now is literally light years ahead of where we were , and that’s putting it mildly 

His worst performance for us in a City shirt was yesterday. Think he gave away possession on about 8 occasions. 

However, he shouldn't be played out wide and should be up front and not be involved with build up play as he isnt good enough for it

Just now, JonDolman said:

I don't know about that. He's had equally as bad games I think before that one. 

Games where he can't control it, can't pass it. His passing is so often wild.

For me he should be either a number 9 or not in the side.

Yeah I mean he has had so many bad games , when we've won that you excuse it, think because we lost yesterday it highlighted even more how bad he was. He isn't a footballer imo, just a pure goalscorer and you're bang on, either he is literally the number 9 scoring our goals or he is on the bench.

16 hours ago, Shuffle said:

Has to be played central otherwise how can you judge him??? Wouldn’t say I’m his biggest fan but what the hell do we create to judge him on? 

100%.

Thought particularly of his goal at Stoke where he was central & finished superbly from Martin’s knock down.

Playing 4/3/3 may suit Semenyo but it definitely doesn’t suit Wells.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It's amazing that Dyche thought he'd be good enough for the prem. Absolutely nothing like a Dyche type striker who can hold it up and win headers, use their physical strength.

I always wanted Toney here, but probably impossible with Brentford probably being a more attractive club to go to for a striker and the money they had to spend after selling Watkins.

I was quite happy with the signing if we played him to his strengths, but we haven't. And playing to his strengths, him in the number 9 with Pato in behind might be best for him, but might not be best for us as a team.

LJ bought him ‘starry eyed’ at the highest scorer in Championship at the time (His best career half season) and without a plan how to utilise him to his best (I remember discussing it with Dave Fevs when we bought him)

He was the shiniest toy in the shop at the time

10 league goals for us in 2179 minutes (24 game equivalent) since he signed.  25 starts, 8 subbed in.

That’s without a side built around him (not that I’d do that anyway), playing out of position as a wide forward for some of those games.

Some of his link-up play has disappointed me, some of his movement has been excellent.

On 21/11/2020 at 21:27, GasDestroyer said:

Can’t understand some of the comments on NW. He was out on the wing today. It is well known he likes to play through the middle. The guy is class IMO and will come good. Put in a major shift today. The goals will come. Every decent striker goes through a lean spell. 

Lean spell ? He scored two in two before yesterday.

:laughcont:

21 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

He was a ‘lazy’ buy - he’s ok / decent but he’s never been above that - not sure why so many were expecting more tbh 

We chose the wrong Burnley forward............should have gone for Matej Vydra, a much better all round footballer and goalscorer?   

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I always thought LJ wanted 2 strikers in his team and seemed to prefer 442 kind of formations. We saw him often go with 442 and it rarely looked right imo.

agree....we often looked better in back 4 based formation in anything but a 442!!

I think he probably saw Reid and Diedhiou as a good partnership and thought Wells was what we were missing to play alongside Fam.

agree.

One problem with that is Wells can't do what Reid can. Very different players.

agree. Small and quick but different.  Just like Fam is big but not a target man

Another problem with that imo is that I didn't think Reid and Fam were a good strike force. They did score goals but as a team it didn't work. It never looked right to me.

double agree.

LJ was probably thinking hit it long to Fam who flicks it on for Wells. That is such a 90s old fashioned way, that defences can quite easily cope with in today's game at championship level.

yet never set up the other players to play that way, e.g. midfielders too deep / close to the CBs to cover the ground for nod-downs, loose balls.  Until this season, Cardiff were a good team to see how to play it properly.

We saw it a bit in that Derby game that we won, and it worked okay that night, but didn't think it would be the answer.

Generally Fam will only win some headers. And it's very rare they will find Wells perfectly and then Wells has to control a bouncing ball with a player near him before getting shot off, unless he can hit it first time of course, but that is rare. It really is a feeding off of scraps way of supplying Wells with chances.

plus the Champ is against defences that generally deny space in behind.  It’s why I’m always wary of lower league strikers who score lots of goals in long ball / flick on one-on-ones, because you don’t get those type of chances in a similar volume in the champ.

Much better for Wells to have a ball played through to him by a creative number 10 and creative wide players that like to come in field like Paterson can. Ideally Wells wants to be running onto a through pass and not have to take a touch but hit it first time off either foot. He never gets that service with us.

possibly, or from better build up with the no10 (or Martin type link up) within the final 30 yards of the pitch, or from getting pull-back type crosses (COD QPR).

⬆️⬆️⬆️

5 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Semenyo and Wells up top in a 352. I need to see it.

Both seem too gready! Saturday both had chances to set each other up but opted to shoot!

Semenyo and Wells up top in a 352. I need to see 

Semenyo and Wells up top in a 352. I need to see 

17 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:
22 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Both seem too gready! Saturday both had chances to set each other up but opted to shoot!

Both are desperate to get goals , Semenyo in particular who is yet to get off the mark in the Championship this season, so they are going to be greedy.

That is not necessarily a fault for a striker. 

Semenyo has been great with his assists but is now being criticised because he hasn’t scored . 

Martin is , also, on a bit of a barren spell and I believe we are asking a bit too much of him at his age to go around, high pressing and getting stuck in defensively twice a week. 

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I’d like to see him in central in a 433/4231 with our best midfield fully fit. Also part of the problem is Chris Martin. He came in on fire for us and was easier to push Wells wide. I would like to see us play without a Fam or Martin a few times too. 

Would be interesting to see.  For me the big problem with 442, 4231, 433 is when the wide forwards / attacking midfielders play too wide, like wingers.  I’m a big believer in starting narrow and making runs in-to-out.  It gives you more targets for a hopeful out-ball too.

Archived