IGNORED

Fam

BUTOR

it should be said that Famara deserves credit. So many players in this day and age in his situation would have lost interest and stopped playing for the team long ago. In spite of clearly wanting to move on he has remained first class in his attitude as he has done throughtout his time here and I enjoyed seeing him get the winner today. Yes he has had his head turned but I don’t believe he’s done anything to our detriment, he’s a battler on the pitch and has always been a classy guy off it too. 

Whenever he leaves now I am sure he will be remembered fondly. 

49 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Cant believe how poorly he is rated by most of the fan base. He'd walk into most teams in this league. 

I'd have loved to have been there today to watch him smash it home in front of the east end.

Good on him hope this gives him confidence because when he's on it, he's a proper handful. 

Bamboozles me! The bloke's got passion, heart and unbelievable work rate. And he's a bloody decent footballer with an excellent multi-dimensional game that extends way beyond his forward duties. To tick that many boxes is remarkable, so it amazes me so many people wear blinkers and don't give him the credit he warrants. We'd been crying out for a player like this for years, and while he's not irreplaceable, losing him would be a massive blow. Absolute diamond he is! 

When people say we should sell him I don't think they understand how important squad depth is. I get the argument that if we get a decent fee then we should cash in, but otherwise we need decent players around the team and as long as he is happy fighting then we will only benefit from that. 

4 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Cant believe how poorly he is rated by most of the fan base. He'd walk into most teams in this league. 

I'd have loved to have been there today to watch him smash it home in front of the east end.

Good on him hope this gives him confidence because when he's on it, he's a proper handful. 

I don’t think anyone has ever criticised anything other than the end product which quite often has not been good enough, he was missing far too many chances he should score. 

3 hours ago, poland_exile said:

Bamboozles me! The bloke's got passion, heart and unbelievable work rate. And he's a bloody decent footballer with an excellent multi-dimensional game that extends way beyond his forward duties. To tick that many boxes is remarkable, so it amazes me so many people wear blinkers and don't give him the credit he warrants. We'd been crying out for a player like this for years, and while he's not irreplaceable, losing him would be a massive blow. Absolute diamond he is! 

He is a great asset and he would walk into most teams of this league. I think he is at his peak and will only be An asset to us for the rest of this season should we go up.

He ticks many boxes at this level and we all love him. Great player, great bloke and great asset when he is played at the correct times when DH plays him and brings him off the bench. He has respect from his fellow team mates at BS3 and also his international team mates.

When he scores his reaction on his face is so great it brings the whole team together. Lets face it he has scored some bloody great ones in competitive matches and even on the trading pitch of which we have seen.

Fam is not one we would take to the Prem and the club would most probably off load him to a high flying club in the championship  should we go up at the end of this season. Probably a few others as well.

3 minutes ago, City oz said:

He is a great asset and he would walk into most teams of this league. I think he is at his peak and will only be An asset to us for the rest of this season should we go up.

He ticks many boxes at this level and we all love him. Great player, great bloke and great asset when he is played at the correct times when DH plays him and brings him off the bench. He has respect from his fellow team mates at BS3 and also his international team mates.

When he scores his reaction on his face is so great it brings the whole team together. Lets face it he has scored some bloody great ones in competitive matches and even on the trading pitch of which we have seen.

Fam is not one we would take to the Prem and the club would most probably off load him to a high flying club in the championship  should we go up at the end of this season. Probably a few others as well.

I disagree, I think if we were promoted he is one I would want to keep, his defensive qualities would be more in demand than every other strikers goal scoring ability.

It's his finesse going forward that stops him from being a top player in this or any other league IMO but his defensive quality makes him invaluable to any team with there backs to the wall.

15 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I disagree, I think if we were promoted he is one I would want to keep, his defensive qualities would be more in demand than every other strikers goal scoring ability.

It's his finesse going forward that stops him from being a top player in this or any other league IMO but his defensive quality makes him invaluable to any team with there backs to the wall.

That is the question. Is he playing in the correct position. Is he a centre forward as if so he will not cut it in the prem league for who ever he plays for. 

Great team player that can bolster the defense when we are under massive pressure but is he an out right centre forward ?

Wrong wrong! 

Most City fans who go to games live the bloke so you can only think he isn't loved by reading c***  written on here by people who don't go! 

Last season his displays away from home are a primary reason LJ had such a fantastic record. 

Get real please! And Fam is fantastic as well as the only proven scorer we currently have at this level

31 minutes ago, City oz said:

That is the question. Is he playing in the correct position. Is he a centre forward as if so he will not cut it in the prem league for who ever he plays for. 

Great team player that can bolster the defense when we are under massive pressure but is he an out right centre forward ?

I agree it's strange, I think he is playing in his preferred position (maybe not his best), while he has defensive qualities he's certainly not a defender the key with him is being able to add to the defence when required, he's not a midfielder or winger although could probably do a job as a wide forward but definitely not his best position.

So then we have the 2 forward positions which he has bits of but is missing other bits.

To be a forward he should:

play between midfield and attack, which he can mostly do.

Assists the striker in scoring goals, tick.

Elusive and difficult to mark, somewhat not particularly elusive but is difficult to mark.

More versatile than the target-man, absolutely.

Vision, technical skill and creativity, not his strength. 

To be a striker he should be:

Closest player to the opponent’s goal, could be but not his strength. 

Responsible for scoring goals, is good but not great - could score more with chances he gets.

Holds the ball up until teammates can join the attack, I can see he does this but also struggles with his touch in doing it.

Harries opposition defenders, mostly. 

Physically strong, absolutely.

He's never going to be the player that gets us up but he might be the player that keeps us up. 

6 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

it should be said that Famara deserves credit. So many players in this day and age in his situation would have lost interest and stopped playing for the team long ago. In spite of clearly wanting to move on he has remained first class in his attitude as he has done throughtout his time here and I enjoyed seeing him get the winner today. Yes he has had his head turned but I don’t believe he’s done anything to our detriment, he’s a battler on the pitch and has always been a classy guy off it too. 

Whenever he leaves now I am sure he will be remembered fondly. 

Where has he shown that he ‘clearly wants to move on’?

All the noise coming from the club is that he wants to stay, this next contract is likely to be his last real chance to get the best deal of his career, he’s at optimum age & a full international so if there’s a few things that still need sorting before he’s 100% happy, he’s well within his rights to not sign yet.

Contracts are no longer just a piece of paper that states how long & how much you will earn, they now have loads of clause’s, promotion, relegation, release, goal bonuses, assist bonuses, position bonuses etc & if he’s heard that Wells or Martin have come in on more than him or his potential new contract & he believes he is worth more than them for whatever reason, then he may believe he deserves more than them.

The current situation with Covid-19 also needs to be taken into account, with finances being a bit of a struggle throughout football, the club may of offered him considerably less than what he’s on now or what he values himself at & as most of us have realised, players wages do need to be reevaluated, especially if they need to fall in line with any potential wage cap. Now is a tricky time for clubs & players, if City need everyone that’s contract is running out to reduce their current wage if they are to stay, how would most of us feel as a player?

I certainly can’t see City being in a position to offer anyone a significant pay rise under the current circumstances unless we get promotion & then the clauses come into action because being realistic, how many of us would expect us to stay in the Premier League if we got promoted this coming summer? So then the club need to have things covered that we aren’t stuck with players on Premier League wages in the Championship.

So this (and all of the players) contracts that are running out are unlikely to be simple negotiations.

33 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I agree it's strange, I think he is playing in his preferred position (maybe not his best), while he has defensive qualities he's certainly not a defender the key with him is being able to add to the defence when required, he's not a midfielder or winger although could probably do a job as a wide forward but definitely not his best position.

So then we have the 2 forward positions which he has bits of but is missing other bits.

To be a forward he should:

play between midfield and attack, which he can mostly do.

Assists the striker in scoring goals, tick.

Elusive and difficult to mark, somewhat not particularly elusive but is difficult to mark.

More versatile than the target-man, absolutely.

Vision, technical skill and creativity, not his strength. 

To be a striker he should be:

Closest player to the opponent’s goal, could be but not his strength. 

Responsible for scoring goals, is good but not great - could score more with chances he gets.

Holds the ball up until teammates can join the attack, I can see he does this but also struggles with his touch in doing it.

Harries opposition defenders, mostly. 

Physically strong, absolutely.

He's never going to be the player that gets us up but he might be the player that keeps us up. 

Great post. Fam we all know is a great player at the right time. Great physical player and a great attitude. At BS3 we are looking to Prem football and is Fam in the future going to go down as some of the city high goal scorers, like. 

Sticks Ritchie, Alan Walsh, Gerry Sharpe, Scotty Murray, the great cheese, Atyeo and i think even Donnie Gillies has scored more but I could be wrong.

if you are looking for a comparison where a player can score goals, defend and i mean defend like a hero then Norman Hunter is the master may he Rest In Peace is a real City and Leeds hero.

Famara has been a fantastic leader for the club. He deserves a decent contract. Although his role this season is very different, the depth in the squad is vital. He is the perfect sub to come on when we are leading and expecting a tough final 3rd of the game. Holds the ball up well, threat in front of goal and defensively sound. I still cant get over how many defensive headers he wins from corners. The mans an absolute beast. 

In his post match interview he was asked about the contract situation.

Indicated there should be news soon and sounded positive- great news as he offers us something different to the other strikers.

While he’s previously missed chances we hoped he’d score, which strikers don’t, and not sure our other strikers will be much better (Wells potentially but not sure he’d have scored that goal yesterday).

I’d be delighted if Fam signs another contract. We’d be diminished without him IMO.

4 minutes ago, joshthomson said:

Famara has been a fantastic leader for the club. He deserves a decent contract. Although his role this season is very different, the depth in the squad is vital. He is the perfect sub to come on when we are leading and expecting a tough final 3rd of the game. Holds the ball up well, threat in front of goal and defensively sound. I still cant get over how many defensive headers he wins from corners. The mans an absolute beast. 

And under the current financial circumstances that are affecting all of football, how do you justify giving someone a pay rise when they are technically having less of an affect on the team, especially when the club needs to bring wages down to fit in with potential wage cap that looks like being introduced?

2 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

And under the current financial circumstances that are affecting all of football, how do you justify giving someone a pay rise when they are technically having less of an affect on the team, especially when the club needs to bring wages down to fit in with potential wage cap that looks like being introduced?

Any player requesting a pay rise in these circumstances where everyone is doing it tough and especially you guys in Bristol that spend your money on home away games over the years should look at the other option and the player should leave  the club.

is Fam requesting a pay rise or is it just some RUMOUR 

21 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think this system will suit Fam, maybe he starts midweek

Do we stick with a winning team for one more game? I think we will.

But I don't think Martin is particularly on it at the moment and Fam deserves a go.

Also, is it me or do Fam and Semenyo link up well (from the limited minutes they've played together)?

It's a debate among City fans that will come back time & time again and again. Also it might depend where you are  in your 'City watching career' in what your take on Fam is.  I have been blessed (and not so blessed !) in watching City since the late 60's and as i advance towards old git status I can reflect on strikers I have watched over the last 50 years. 

My goodness we have had real quality ones, John Galley, (Atyeo before my time) Garland, Cheese, Mick Harford ( I remember saying he would play for England and he did.. only once mind) Andy Cole, Bob Super Bob Taylor, The Goat, so on and so on.

Then there are strikers other end of the scale .....  Bas Savage, David Seal, Andy Jones... more recently Diony ?

So where would you place Fam in this illustrious history of strikers to wear the shirt ?  He would certainly NOT be in the top tier, equally not the bottom tier, he's an OK striker. 

Last few seasons I have left the gate on many occasions thinking how poor he was, perhaps handful of times thinking  'wow' he had a  really good one today !  Perhaps as I reflect I would like him to sign and be here few more years, likewise if he fancies his chances elsewhere I will not be wringing my hands in despair. 

To replace Fam would cost upwards of £10 million in todays market. How people wanted rid of him is unbelievable, a really good striker at this level and as somebody else said he would walk into most teams in the Championship. Granted he has a few limitations but what player doesn’t.. if he was the complete striker he would be playing in the Prem or in a top flight league in Europe. 

24 minutes ago, City oz said:

Any player requesting a pay rise in these circumstances where everyone is doing it tough and especially you guys in Bristol that spend your money on home away games over the years should look at the other option and the player should leave  the club.

is Fam requesting a pay rise or is it just some RUMOUR 

I think it’s fair to assume that anyone who’s contract is up & the club are looking to retain would want a pay rise, especially from a player’s agent’s perspective because I haven’t known an agent that isn’t in it for everything he can get. And as I explained further above, Fam is now technically in his prime & under ‘normal’ circumstances would of been looking to maximise his value in this contract due to age, being a full international & having proven that he can perform at this level.

The only player that I’ve ever heard that has accepted less financially is Taylor Moore when he was concerned that he was going to be released.

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

Will the love in continue if he refuses to sign a new contract and leaves on a free to get more money elsewhere?

Nice guy he may be but my loyalty is to the club and I wouldn't be bigging him up if that's what happens. 

Professional sport. Hunt fatest pay cheque ? Considerations might come into it lifestyle and if settled in an area. Look at players & coaches that go to China as example.  Not for cultural experience or quality of the football?

6 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Will the love in continue if he refuses to sign a new contract and leaves on a free to get more money elsewhere?

Nice guy he may be but my loyalty is to the club and I wouldn't be bigging him up if that's what happens. 

Without knowing what we have offered or what others may have offered it is impossible to say why he may choose one option over the other. If he leaves at the end of his contract he is only doing what any of us are able to do in our employment and he will leave with my best wishes.

Archived