IGNORED

Fam

BUTOR

Someone posted yesterday if Derby had him in their team they would have won & that’s correct, they were punchless.

Amazed that a Derby, Stoke or Sheff Wed didn’t take a punt on him this summer.

I’m a big fan & love him but will take the “you will hear some news soon” stuff with a pinch of salt until it actually happens.

27 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Will the love in continue if he refuses to sign a new contract and leaves on a free to get more money elsewhere?

Nice guy he may be but my loyalty is to the club and I wouldn't be bigging him up if that's what happens. 

But it’s just a job to Diedhiou, he’s not a Bristol City fan like the majority of the 20,000+ that attend games & endless other thousands that follow the club in different ways. The majority of us would of played for the club for peanuts just to have the chance to play for us but this is just a job for him.

If you were offered a pay rise in your job to go to somewhere else, you’d take it right? Well I would of because I had no loyalty to my work place, similarly, they had no loyalty to me.

Players, managers & coaches will come & go but supporters rarely change their allegiances.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I know Holden likes to stick with a winning side, but I would like to see him bring in Fam and Bakinson for Martin and Wells.

Move O'Dowda to the wing and go with Bakinson and Nagy giving Paterson freedom.

A more solid look that side would have I think.

Yep I agree they seem to look good together. What I like about a potential front 3 of O'Dowda - Diedhiou - Semenyo is that 2 of them are very good in the air in Diedhiou and Semenyo, and O'Dowda can certainly challenge and win aerial duels too. Gives the defence plenty to worry about with not just Fam being the aerial threat on balls played forward or balls into the box.

Not saying that should be the long term plan, but something I'd like us to go with midweek in a very tough fixture.

Bakinson is ill, there appears no prospect he will available on Wednesday.

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I know Holden likes to stick with a winning side, but I would like to see him bring in Fam and Bakinson for Martin and Wells.

Yep I agree they seem to look good together. What I like about a potential front 3 of O'Dowda - Diedhiou - Semenyo is that 2 of them are very good in the air in Diedhiou and Semenyo, and O'Dowda can certainly challenge and win aerial duels too. Gives the defence plenty to worry about with not just Fam being the aerial threat on balls played forward or balls into the box.

Not saying that should be the long term plan, but something I'd like us to go with midweek in a very tough fixture.

Which is easy to say when Bakinson hasn’t been available for the last few games & we don’t know when he’ll be back!

DH can’t pick players if they aren’t available.

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

And under the current financial circumstances that are affecting all of football, how do you justify giving someone a pay rise when they are technically having less of an affect on the team, especially when the club needs to bring wages down to fit in with potential wage cap that looks like being introduced?

I appreciate what you are saying. And I'm sure this is the reason why the dotted line has not been signed. However pandemic or not if I was in Fams shoes I'd expect something more after everything he has given over the past couple of years. He is at the prime age now and could easily walk into another cub. If we want to keep Fam it will cost us. The expected wage cap which could come in! We will be absolutley fine, compared to many clubs in the Champo, our wage structure is very good and in a solid position. Lansdown has set his expectations with wages over the years. He is a very very good business man and fulfills me with confidence that not one player will be overpaid over excessive time at the club. 

I don't know how genuine his reply was, but he was asked in his Radio Bristol interview about signing a contract and he said something like 'soon .... we're very close'.  

Being third in the table must help negotiations because offered contracts will presumably have a 'promotion to Premiership' bonus.  

16 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Think he tested CoVid positive , but was feeling %100 Graham

Holden said he felt unwell for Huddersfield but tested negative and now feels fine but now tested positive !

The pre match interview with Paul Simpson seemed to suggest that there was more likelihood of Massengo being available on Wednesday because he has had chest pains but no positive Covid test, but appreciate it is a completely fluid situation.

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Surely Bakinson is only days away from being available? 

Doesn't sound like the others that particularly close to returning

Not so sure, when did Bakinson have his ‘migraine’? Over 2 weeks ago because it was before the international break & we don’t exactly know what situation he’s now in.

DH explained that one of the positive testers has symptoms & another doesn’t, so do we know which Bakinson is?

17 minutes ago, joshthomson said:

I appreciate what you are saying. And I'm sure this is the reason why the dotted line has not been signed. However pandemic or not if I was in Fams shoes I'd expect something more after everything he has given over the past couple of years. He is at the prime age now and could easily walk into another cub. If we want to keep Fam it will cost us. The expected wage cap which could come in! We will be absolutley fine, compared to many clubs in the Champo, our wage structure is very good and in a solid position. Lansdown has set his expectations with wages over the years. He is a very very good business man and fulfills me with confidence that not one player will be overpaid over excessive time at the club. 

But you can’t pay someone in the future for what they’ve done in the past, surely?

As for our wage cap to current wage, we’re about £13m over cap of the figures mentioned are correct! Hardly pennies!

1 hour ago, DT The Optimist said:

It's a debate among City fans that will come back time & time again and again. Also it might depend where you are  in your 'City watching career' in what your take on Fam is.  I have been blessed (and not so blessed !) in watching City since the late 60's and as i advance towards old git status I can reflect on strikers I have watched over the last 50 years. 

My goodness we have had real quality ones, John Galley, (Atyeo before my time) Garland, Cheese, Mick Harford ( I remember saying he would play for England and he did.. only once mind) Andy Cole, Bob Super Bob Taylor, The Goat, so on and so on.

Then there are strikers other end of the scale .....  Bas Savage, David Seal, Andy Jones... more recently Diony ?

So where would you place Fam in this illustrious history of strikers to wear the shirt ?  He would certainly NOT be in the top tier, equally not the bottom tier, he's an OK striker. 

Last few seasons I have left the gate on many occasions thinking how poor he was, perhaps handful of times thinking  'wow' he had a  really good one today !  Perhaps as I reflect I would like him to sign and be here few more years, likewise if he fancies his chances elsewhere I will not be wringing my hands in despair. 

Although he’d be below the likes of Cole, Super Bob, Cheese, he’d comfortably be in the top half of strikers I’ve seen for City (1977-)

His all round play and defensive abilities would put him in the top 10 but I appreciate a striker is judged mainly on goals and he’s fairly useful at that

14 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Not so sure, when did Bakinson have his ‘migraine’? Over 2 weeks ago because it was before the international break & we don’t exactly know what situation he’s now in.

DH explained that one of the positive testers has symptoms & another doesn’t, so do we know which Bakinson is?

Simpson said in the pre match, that Bakinson was negative when he was ill, but when tested again on Friday he was positive but feeling fine! Go figure.

19 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But you can’t pay someone in the future for what they’ve done in the past, surely?

As for our wage cap to current wage, we’re about £13m over cap of the figures mentioned are correct! Hardly pennies!

I think you will find the figures announced will be way off. The divide it will create between champo and Prem will be absolutely massive. It will be the same 3 teams who get relegated going straight back up. Our wage structure is very IMO. Compared to the Stokes, QPR, Forest etc. Even Swansea pay out a rumoured 80k per week for Ayew ?

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah I really like the sound of that. I feel for Nakhi because he was very workmanlike and disciplined yesterday in a game that really didn't suit him. But if the game doesn't suit him, why play him? I think Holden has shown a lot of loyalty to him at times.

44 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He is fine now apparently so not sure how it works, whether he will be allowed to play midweek or if he has to remain isolated

As above, he’s supposedly symptom free but in the latest testing, tested positive. So there’s 10 days (I think) self isolation from whenever that was. And as with Salah & many others, it is possible to test positive more than once so it could go on for a while.

43 minutes ago, joshthomson said:

I think you will find the figures announced will be way off. The divide it will create between champo and Prem will be absolutely massive. It will be the same 3 teams who get relegated going straight back up. Our wage structure is very IMO. Compared to the Stokes, QPR, Forest etc. Even Swansea pay out a rumoured 80k per week for Ayew ?

The apparent cap limit will be about £18m a year, our wage is or was around £31m a year. What Stoke & Forest etc are paying holds no relevance to us as it is their choice to run their club as they wish & as we’ve seen in the past with clubs, they will gamble to get promotion but SL has stated for years that he wants us to self-sufficient.

Those that are spending higher will be in for a bigger shock when the time comes.

Our wage to turnover is basically 100% & there were clubs that were spending more on wages than they were making, so more than the 100% we are doing but this is us while trying to be self-sufficient. To get anywhere near that £18m cap will require a lot of changes throughout the club & throughout football.

As for QPR, they have drastically reduced their wage Bill over the last few years, they had to because of the sanctions put to them by the EFL & the massive fine the received.

3 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

It's a debate among City fans that will come back time & time again and again. Also it might depend where you are  in your 'City watching career' in what your take on Fam is.  I have been blessed (and not so blessed !) in watching City since the late 60's and as i advance towards old git status I can reflect on strikers I have watched over the last 50 years. 

My goodness we have had real quality ones, John Galley, (Atyeo before my time) Garland, Cheese, Mick Harford ( I remember saying he would play for England and he did.. only once mind) Andy Cole, Bob Super Bob Taylor, The Goat, so on and so on.

Then there are strikers other end of the scale .....  Bas Savage, David Seal, Andy Jones... more recently Diony ?

So where would you place Fam in this illustrious history of strikers to wear the shirt ?  He would certainly NOT be in the top tier, equally not the bottom tier, he's an OK striker. 

Last few seasons I have left the gate on many occasions thinking how poor he was, perhaps handful of times thinking  'wow' he had a  really good one today !  Perhaps as I reflect I would like him to sign and be here few more years, likewise if he fancies his chances elsewhere I will not be wringing my hands in despair. 

David Seal wasn't a bad player, definitely shouldn't be in the same group as Bas Savage and Diony.

Fam may not be the greatest striker to wear a City shirt but he's a joy to watch. Few have played with more enthusiasm constantly imploring the support (when we were allowed to be there) for more noise. You wouldn't think he'd tested positive for COVID as he looks as lean and fit as I've seen him. 

11 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

it should be said that Famara deserves credit. So many players in this day and age in his situation would have lost interest and stopped playing for the team long ago. In spite of clearly wanting to move on he has remained first class in his attitude as he has done throughtout his time here and I enjoyed seeing him get the winner today. Yes he has had his head turned but I don’t believe he’s done anything to our detriment, he’s a battler on the pitch and has always been a classy guy off it too. 

Whenever he leaves now I am sure he will be remembered fondly. 

I don’t think any of us know whether he “clearly wants to move on” or not.  Media speculation surrounding his contract hasn’t helped.  Today he is hinting he’s about to sign.  If we could’ve got good money for him, I would’ve been comfortable with that.  If he signs I’m comfortable too.  What I didn’t want was him running his contract down and leaving for free.  I’m still hoping that doesn’t happen.

10 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Cant believe how poorly he is rated by most of the fan base. He'd walk into most teams in this league. 

I'd have loved to have been there today to watch him smash it home in front of the east end.

Good on him hope this gives him confidence because when he's on it, he's a proper handful. 

I don’t rate him as poor but I think that there could be more to his game.  I’m not gonna be hypocritical and say he’s brilliant because he’s lashed in the winner yesterday.  In his brief opportunities this season he hasn’t delivered much in fairness.  Is he crap?  Certainly not?  Is he a handful?  Yes, on his day, but he has days when he doesn’t get any change out of his marker.  Do I think he could offer more than he does?  Absolutely.  I think he plays within himself sometimes.  Some of that could be a lack of football intelligence, in that he’s reactionary rather than anticipating things.

On the flip, as good as Martin has been he was poor yesterday and you’re allowed to mark his performance yesterday low, not be influenced by his other games.  Which leads me on to the next point ⬇️⬇️⬇️

6 hours ago, Rebounder said:

When people say we should sell him I don't think they understand how important squad depth is. I get the argument that if we get a decent fee then we should cash in, but otherwise we need decent players around the team and as long as he is happy fighting then we will only benefit from that. 

Yes, we are fortunate that we have 4 strikers, especially with Weimann injured.  Player form comes and goes.  Semenyo had leapfrogged Diedhiou in terms of pecking order at this point in time, but football doesn’t stay stable for long.  Semenyo is probably gonna start getting more attention from opponents and that might free up someone else.  Martin might need a rest?  We have options, it’s a squad game (as I keep saying).  I think it’s pointless talking about “best eleven” because you rarely get the option to pick it, nor for long periods of matches.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Bakinson is ill, there appears no prospect he will available on Wednesday.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

3 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Think he tested CoVid positive , but was feeling %100 Graham

Holden said he felt unwell for Huddersfield but tested negative and now feels fine but now tested positive !

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

The pre match interview with Paul Simpson seemed to suggest that there was more likelihood of Massengo being available on Wednesday because he has had chest pains but no positive Covid test, but appreciate it is a completely fluid situation.

The post-match interview by DH suggested they will get him tested again ASAP and hopefully he can return for Wednesday.  Massengo too

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

How good was that goal today too?

considering how much his first touch is criticised it was perfect for that goal and great finish. 

Don’t forget the “movement” to hang back on the edge of the box to receive the pass from Semenyo rather than going in the box or near post for a cross.

On the subject of Semenyo the kid is giving us proper end product. Three assists in three games, he just needs to add a goal to that and he’ll be flying.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think any of us know whether he “clearly wants to move on” or not.  Media speculation surrounding his contract hasn’t helped.  Today he is hinting he’s about to sign.  If we could’ve got good money for him, I would’ve been comfortable with that.  If he signs I’m comfortable too.  What I didn’t want was him running his contract down and leaving for free.  I’m still hoping that doesn’t happen.

I don’t rate him as poor but I think that there could be more to his game.  I’m not gonna be hypocritical and say he’s brilliant because he’s lashed in the winner yesterday.  In his brief opportunities this season he hasn’t delivered much in fairness.  Is he crap?  Certainly not?  Is he a handful?  Yes, on his day, but he has days when he doesn’t get any change out of his marker.  Do I think he could offer more than he does?  Absolutely.  I think he plays within himself sometimes.  Some of that could be a lack of football intelligence, in that he’s reactionary rather than anticipating things.

On the flip, as good as Martin has been he was poor yesterday and you’re allowed to mark his performance yesterday low, not be influenced by his other games.  Which leads me on to the next point ⬇️⬇️⬇️

Yes, we are fortunate that we have 4 strikers, especially with Weimann injured.  Player form comes and goes.  Semenyo had leapfrogged Diedhiou in terms of pecking order at this point in time, but football doesn’t stay stable for long.  Semenyo is probably gonna start getting more attention from opponents and that might free up someone else.  Martin might need a rest?  We have options, it’s a squad game (as I keep saying).  I think it’s pointless talking about “best eleven” because you rarely get the option to pick it, nor for long periods of matches.

Nicely summarised for me

Overrated by many IMHO

’Does a job’

Hes no dud but too many performances and moments that have underwhelmed for me 

4 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Martin has been great in some games, anonymous in others and they need to job share more with the amount of games we have.

Martin has a problem that some officials don’t believe when he’s fouled because they know he ‘plays’ the opponent and he often ends  up on his arse with nothing because of this. 

I didn’t think he’d start as many matches as he has but credit to the bloke he hasn’t let anyone down, quite the opposite.

3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Although he’d be below the likes of Cole, Super Bob, Cheese, he’d comfortably be in the top half of strikers I’ve seen for City (1977-)

His all round play and defensive abilities would put him in the top 10 but I appreciate a striker is judged mainly on goals and he’s fairly useful at that

I put him firmly in the Wayne Allison class, a steady player who, whilst good, never quite hits the heights but is nevertheless a worthy member of the team.

FD also has that charisma that binds a team together. People like him. 

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A lot of those skills/behaviours are coached into talented players. I think a lot of players have been poorly coached in there time here and haven't reached their potential. Who has been our strikers coach out of interest?

Archived