IGNORED

Fam

BUTOR

22 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

A lot of those skills/behaviours are coached into talented players. I think a lot of players have been poorly coached in there time here and haven't reached their potential. Who has been our strikers coach out of interest?

I don’t think it’s technical skills coaching per se, I think it’s more Fam being asked to play a game that doesn’t make use of his skillset.  He isn’t a target man, but because he’s big, LJ tried to turn him into one.  He enjoyed space at Angers, not playing back to goal against a CB.

He was 24 when he joined City, much of his skillset had been formed by the time he joined us imho.  Not saying an old dog can’t learn new tricks, but I don’t see why you buy someone for £5.3m and then try and change him.  The Fam we saw in his first dozen or so games upon joining was a free-Fam, one adjusting to the pace of the Champ whilst playing his more natural game.  And he was really starting to go well up until his injury.

I don’t think we have ever had a striker’s coach in name.

43 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Would you expect people to still like you if you left your job to get more money elsewhere???

Football is different though. We paid a £5m+ fee for his services. If my colleagues at work owned the business and lost that money due to me leaving I'm sure they might have less fond memories of me! 

6 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

It's a debate among City fans that will come back time & time again and again. Also it might depend where you are  in your 'City watching career' in what your take on Fam is.  I have been blessed (and not so blessed !) in watching City since the late 60's and as i advance towards old git status I can reflect on strikers I have watched over the last 50 years. 

My goodness we have had real quality ones, John Galley, (Atyeo before my time) Garland, Cheese, Mick Harford ( I remember saying he would play for England and he did.. only once mind) Andy Cole, Bob Super Bob Taylor, The Goat, so on and so on.

Then there are strikers other end of the scale .....  Bas Savage, David Seal, Andy Jones... more recently Diony ?

So where would you place Fam in this illustrious history of strikers to wear the shirt ?  He would certainly NOT be in the top tier, equally not the bottom tier, he's an OK striker. 

Last few seasons I have left the gate on many occasions thinking how poor he was, perhaps handful of times thinking  'wow' he had a  really good one today !  Perhaps as I reflect I would like him to sign and be here few more years, likewise if he fancies his chances elsewhere I will not be wringing my hands in despair. 

We are the same vintage and you left out two favourites - Wayne Allison and Akinbiyi - who had some similarities, ie strong guys who could batter defenders and outrun them. You could say the same about Goater. Sometimes their touch wasn't that great, but they could bustle about and their strength often gave them opportunities. Diedhiou isn't perfect but is certainly a useful option and undoubtedly hard to play against at times.

3 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Football is different though. We paid a £5m+ fee for his services. If my colleagues at work owned the business and lost that money due to me leaving I'm sure they might have less fond memories of me! 

That would have nothing to do with the player colleague in question though, if they signed a contract and fulfilled the obliged time on that contract. 

3 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I don't see that football is any different. You pay a fee for a contract of whatever length that may be. Provided that contract is fulfilled, who has done anything wrong. If you want to extend or renew that contract, you pay whatever is necessary or mutually agreeable.

In addition, I don't see the fee we paid for Fam as any fault of his.

Archived