IGNORED

Since when has red and white clashed with white and black ?

Major Isewater

We've done it ourselves in recent years, can't point to a certain match, or matches, but it does happen more often now.

Bit like reverting to a purple and lime 3rd kit combo when we had a white away kit, whilst playing someone with barely any white in their kit.

Get more wear out of each kit maybe? There were a few seasons when we had different sponsors on the away to home kits. As sponsors I'd imagine you had a clause in the contract stating that you expected to see the kit worn x% of away games.

It’s obvious - money. Clubs want to maximise income by selling away kits. The more the away kit is worn the more it will be sold to supporters. The worst example is third kits. Clubs could get by with just a second kit, if it was designed properly, but third kits bring in more money. 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

One little point from yesterday, why were Derby in changed strip when their kit doesn’t clash with ours?

Call me a traditionalist but I like to see teams in their home kit unless there is a real clash .

The only doubt for me was Marshall in an orange jersey which is close to red in certain conditions.

“Oi Traditionalist”

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

One little point from yesterday, why were Derby in changed strip when their kit doesn’t clash with ours?

Call me a traditionalist but I like to see teams in their home kit unless there is a real clash .

The only doubt for me was Marshall in an orange jersey which is close to red in certain conditions.

back in the sixties to answer your title

6 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Tbh play home wear your home kit and if you’re away wear your away kit, simple

....and also wear your third kit from time to time, plus the occasional “anniversary” kit. Got to think of the sales in the club shop 

And 'Our Tammy'  scored for Chelsea awat at Newcastle in a Palace strip! 

There is nothing traditional about most things in EPL: owners are English - read the Chinese on all shirts (if you can translate), managers, players, what counts as a penalty or a goal or a foul, or offside, no crowds, - does anyone on OTiB want to leave the Championship? 

Not sure I do, just keep on winning league and Cup games, go on a poor short run and stay where we are maybe the best bet

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I don’t think any team plays at home in purple and lime so we should only need one away kit. 

Derby’s away kit is likely to clash with several club’s colours and is therefore impractical.

Yeah I agree but if there isn’t a clash a team away to me should always wear away kits

you get my gist :laugh:

Another relatively small change (but they add up) which is gradually spoiling the game for me.

For instance when Sheffield Wednesday play at AG I expect to see them in their traditional blue & white stripes, not some grey or yellow strip that could be anyone.

Home shirts should be worn away from home as well unless there is an obvious clash, anything else is devaluing the game as a spectator sport.

5 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Another relatively small change (but they add up) which is gradually spoiling the game for me.

For instance when Sheffield Wednesday play at AG I expect to see them in their traditional blue & white stripes, not some grey or yellow strip that could be anyone.

Home shirts should be worn away from home as well unless there is an obvious clash, anything else is devaluing the game as a spectator sport.

Me too. It`s refreshing when you see a game where both sides are wearing their `proper` kit. It feels right somehow. Bournemouth v Reading on Saturday was a case in point.

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

And if there's only a socks or shorts clash then just change the socks or the shorts, not the entire kit.

8 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

When you see the eye watering amounts that someone like Man Utd make from shirt sponsorship and sales , good luck with the campaign Nogs ! 

(Totally agree with you btw - Should be you’re normal kit unless referee wants it changed)

Archived