IGNORED

Matchday Thread from Watford's Forum

Abraham Romanovich

3 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

To be honest, despite our trophy cabinet being about as full as a Millennials bank account there is a bit more material to work with than the other way around!

Only thing I know about Watford is I'm fairly sure the HMS Belfast's guns are trained on it because that's their maximum range?! 

Fortunately for Watford they are outside of their range - they are directed against Scratchwood services on the M1!

boom.jpg

I remember a Cìty fan, Tony Harling I believe his name was, who travelled from Watford to every Home game. Memorable because of his very loud voice shouting continually from the Williams. He caused a few laughs that's for sure! Can anyone else remember him?

Back in the 60s I  recall a 3-3 Home draw against Watford. We were losing 2-3 minutes from full time when their centre-half, Vince McNiece, scored a spectacular overhead own goal!

4 minutes ago, greengrass said:

I remember a Cìty fan, Tony Harling I believe his name was, who travelled from Watford to every Home game. Memorable because of his very loud voice shouting continually from the Williams. He caused a few laughs that's for sure! Can anyone else remember him?

Back in the 60s I  recall a 3-3 Home draw against Watford. We were losing 2-3 minutes from full time when their centre-half, Vince McNiece, scored a spectacular overhead own goal!

Yes I remember Tony, used to sit in the Williams, you could always hear him, bit of a legend in his day.

12 minutes ago, greengrass said:

6 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Yes I remember Tony, used to sit in the Williams, you could always hear him, bit of a legend in his day.

9 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I’m sure I remember this guy, I started going in 89, when did he stop going anyone know?

Early 1990s I think

Remember somebody saying he had moved to Scotland to look after his elderly / poorly mother 

Used to stand in enclosure mid 80s and if he went quiet we’d start a ‘Come on you reds’ and set him off for another 10 mins ! 

7 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

What happens when you dabble with the Premiership

Look at other similar Clubs Forums As well

Toxic Unless they are clearly cruising back 

**** the Premier League , getting there would be fun 

Being there ? - Not so fun I predict

Several supporters are turning on Chris Wilder.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Several supporters are turning on Chris Wilder.

Sadly inevitable Dave

It really does change the mindset of a large chunk of clubs support it appears and creates a real sense of entitlement , and one that seems to continue for years

It really makes me wonder how good for many it would be to go up

I certainly think you need to be well prepared and have a decent plan ready to implement / follow

On a a sort of associated note - Just watched Eddie Howe as the guest on Monday night football - What an impressive bloke he is , a fascinating watch , and good questions from Dave Jones and Carragher about being a Premier League Manager -

Didn't realise how much they worked on set pieces - Something we could definitely learn from 

7 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Sadly inevitable Dave

It really does change the mindset of a large chunk of clubs support it appears and creates a real sense of entitlement , and one that seems to continue for years

I certainly think you need to be well prepared and have a decent plan ready to implement / follow

On a a sort of associated note - Just watched Eddie Howe as the guest on Monday night football - What an impressive bloke he is , a fascinating watch , and good questions from Dave Jones and Carragher about being a Premier League Manager -

Didn't realise how much they worked on set pieces - Something we could definitely learn from 

we probably do but you would need mannequins of the right Hight of the defence(including jump)  you are  facing next  and a perfect free kick taker.

Just now, reddoh said:

we probably do but you would need mannequins of the right Hight of the defence(including jump)  you are  facing next  and a perfect free kick taker.

Worth watching if it’s on repeat - Carragher pulled up some examples of some brilliant free kicks which Howe talked through , involving fiver or six players blocking , running , all to precision timing - 

Said they (He and coaches) were constantly thinking up set pieces and working on them and the players got so used to the level of detail needed to play their role / part and implement , that eventually they could work on a new set piece just on a Friday before the game 

Here is another City v Watford memory.

1954-55 when we were part way through the record equalling points total and winning Div 3 (South) title.

The home game against Watford started badly with keeper Tony Cook breaking his arm very early. Veteran right back, Ivor Guy, took over in goal.

It was quite an even game and still 0-0 as the end of match approached.

Left winger, Jack Boxley hit the winner and my Dad on the way home, said that if he met Jack in a pub, he'd buy him a pint.

Go forward some twenty five to thirty years and I played skittles against a team from Long Ashton. Jack was playing and I bought him the pint for Dad. He thanked me and said how amazed he was that City fans were still regularly buying him beer in recognition to that goal.

Who will be "Jack Boxley" on Wednesday evening?

40 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Sadly inevitable Dave

I missed that...shame, will try on catchup. Wolves / Southampton game?

Out of interest I’ve been watching our defensive set pieces this season.  After it was mentioned that Pat Mountain is responsible for setting us up (keepers view I guess) I was interested to see if we put men on the posts in particular.  We don’t.  Bit surprised, but hey-ho.  Those who consider selecting Diedhiou for his defensive work aren’t giving Chris Martin any credit for his seamless move into Fam’s near post role.

Any chances against us have come for balls towards the back post, bar one Tom Lees header at home to Wednesday where we got blocked off.  We’ve improved that awareness of not getting blocked off massively.

Watford have some little routines too to look out for.  I’ve got one in my cut-down preview which I’ll put up tomorrow.

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I've seen City at Watford around a dozen times and always found their fans to be friendly. Especially when walking through the allotments to the away end...

Remember an away day there in the early 90s. A chant developed in the away end... 

"E I E I EIO, round the allotment we must go...

When we nick a carrot, this is what we'll sing:

We are City, we are City,

Brussels sprouts are king"

10 hours ago, greengrass said:

I think he was from Hemel Hempstead, which may seem close enough but is probably the equivalent of saying that someone from Bath is from Bristol. He fell out with the club at some point, possibly over something Sexstone said to him?

Some time back at the end of the Sixties I went to Vicarage Road with my uncle who lived locally, to see Watford play Hereford United. He told me that one of the Hereford players was the 'great John Charles' coming to the end of his career. I've always remembered that. Anyone else remember him?

2 minutes ago, glastonred said:

Some time back at the end of the Sixties I went to Vicarage Road with my uncle who lived locally, to see Watford play Hereford United. He told me that one of the Hereford players was the 'great John Charles' coming to the end of his career. I've always remembered that. Anyone else remember him?

Are you sure it wasn't Elton's uncle, the great Charles John? ?

Archived