IGNORED

Walcotts tights

Clutton Caveman

Did anyone see the white tights that Theo Walcott was wearing in the Wolves v Southampton game last night.

Would love to have heard what Souness and Keane thought of them.

Can only imagine what will soon be appearing in the Southampton Club shop next

Home and away tutu, any chip nail varnish, high heeled boots, diamond studded jock strap.

I thought gloves were bad enough but !!!

He played one of his best games for a while but this was not a good look

2 minutes ago, lager loud said:

The first player I saw do this was Keith Weller playing for Leicester in the 1970s. He took a lot of stick for it, as I recall!

The story behind that apparently, as told by Alan Birchinall is that his wife found them in his glove box in the car, and he had to convince her they were for football, and had to wear them to save his marriage.

31 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Keith Weller of Leicester was the first to wear tights way back in the 70s. Its the pr1cks that wear gloves with short sleeved shirts that I dont get.

Another modern fad I can't stand, short sleeved jerseys with a long sleeved one underneath!  Don't they manufacture long sleeved jerseys anymore?!

9 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Another modern fad I can't stand, short sleeved jerseys with a long sleeved one underneath!  Don't they manufacture long sleeved jerseys anymore?!

Bentley does this, the keep shirts dont appear to be available in long sleeve. Not sure whose decision that is though

1 hour ago, Littlesh*t said:

As much as I wouldn't be seen dead in something like this could it actually be more of a sports science thing rather than just not being a hard man on the pitch. As he has suffered a lot with hamstring injuries is there logic that it keeps them tight and compact and also warm?

Not directly related but several studies claim that tape actually does not help, I assume leggings would be the same.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1836955314000095

42 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

At Arsenal it used to be (Prob changed now) that everyone had to wear long sleeved or short sleeved , and that choice was made by the captain

47 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I know some teams have it in place where maybe the Captain decides what shirt everyone wears, they choose short they all wear short. I guess the undershirt is a way around that, if that's what's happening . Odd if not mind.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Did anyone see the white tights that Theo Walcott was wearing in the Wolves v Southampton game last night.

I watched most of this game and have to say I didn't notice

Smile on my face says it all' - Theo Walcott returns to scoring ways but  Southampton miss chance to beat Wolves 

1 hour ago, pride of the west said:

John Barnes used to wear tights mind in an era that was probably less forgiving about that sort of thing.

He admitted in an interview he only wore leggings (from C&A) as he couldn't get used to the cold weather in the UK

He used to stay in a hot bath until as close to kick off as possible to keep his temperature up

1 hour ago, lager loud said:

The first player I saw do this was Keith Weller playing for Leicester in the 1970s. He took a lot of stick for it, as I recall!

Leading the way: Leicester's Keith Weller wore white tights during the an FA Cup game in 1979

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

The story behind that apparently, as told by Alan Birchinall is that his wife found them in his glove box in the car, and he had to convince her they were for football, and had to wear them to save his marriage.

Well, that could explain what happened here?

John Barnes: The truth about why I wore tights | Daily Mail Online

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

It's the thong and suspenders he's wearing under his shorts we should be more worried about

Unless he's going for the Bull Durham approach! ?

So when he said, “I can’t wait to get home and rip the missus’ knickers off”, he meant because he was wearing them and they were digging in!!!

1 hour ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Goalkeepers in short sleeves is plain wrong anyway (in my mind at least) - I blame Barthez I can't recall anyone doing it before him

There must have been a Newcastle keeper who wore a short sleeve shirt, and that still marked him out as a Wimp to the Gallowgate who were all in skins! 

More seriously, and I stand to be corrected, but the old Hull keeper Ian Mckechnie may sometimes have worn a short sleeve shirt. 

Outfield players wearing gloves annoy me unless you're playing close to the Arctic circle or have a nasty skin complaint. 

• Admin
49 minutes ago, Final 3 Star said:

And who among us can honestly say he's never at least once worn a pair of his Mum's tights under the jeans while braving the Open End on a bitterly cold evening? Tuesday night game vs Middlesbrough circa 1968, as a completely random example...

I think you are on the wrong website :fear:

Walcotts white tights look like the type of bedsocks they give to some patients in hospital. With Walcotts injury history perhaps he's being prepared. As for players wearing gloves , with the amount of diving and spit on the ground, its no wonder. 

3 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

That’s brilliant.

I suppose wearing tights means that you don't have to pull your socks up over your knees! Who the hell started that fashion?

It amused me the other day when watching the rugby and one of the players, possibly a no. 10 tucked his gum shield up his shorts every time he took a kick 

2 hours ago, phantom said:

He admitted in an interview he only wore leggings (from C&A) as he couldn't get used to the cold weather in the UK

He used to stay in a hot bath until as close to kick off as possible to keep his temperature up

Lineker religiously always had a warm bath for 10 mins or so before every game 

He recounts how Gazza asked him about it and why and Lineker explained it relaxed him and warmed his muscles

Gazza decided this sounded a good idea - next International he’s nowhere to be seen in the warm up

They return to the dressing room where they find Gazza who has been lathering in a bath resembling a steaming Turkish Bath , for 3/4 hour or more , struggling to get out the bath and exclaiming ‘I’m absolutely fooked’ ??

3 hours ago, Final 3 Star said:

And who among us can honestly say he's never at least once worn a pair of his Mum's tights under the jeans while braving the Open End on a bitterly cold evening? Tuesday night game vs Middlesbrough circa 1968, as a completely random example...

Just you then!

Let's hope that Martyn Woolford never pulls a pair on.....

8 hours ago, Banned User said:

Not directly related but several studies claim that tape actually does not help, I assume leggings would be the same.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1836955314000095

I think taping as it's place in recovery, in terms of holding the muscle back in a good position. I don't think it's any magic solution though.

Compression is kinda the same, its supposed to help recovery by preventing soreness and fatigue. Probably talking small percentages, and considering most footballers aren't doing this he was probably just cold?

55 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I might have made this up but didn`t it used to be against the rules for a keeper to wear a short sleeved shirt? Something to do with the ref not knowing if it was the keeper or an outfield player who touched the ball in the case of handball.

I think if they wore short sleeves they had to wear gloves to distinguish them from outfield players when punching the ball. Not all goalies wore gloves back in the day. John Shaw springs to mind.

Archived