IGNORED

Watford – Wed 25th November 19:45 – What Can We Expect?

Davefevs

11 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

How good is it to have a local youngster in the side who does things that would get you off your seat - if we were allowed to be there. 

Can we find out from Pep what he did to turn Raheem Sterling into a decent finisher. Antoine could be something very special if he develops that composure in front of goal. 

He's not a local lad I'm afraid, we picked him up at a exit trial. But he does feel local I must admit.

Overall, I’m quite happy with that result and performance, especially given how low my expectations were after seeing the team sheets.

We gave up few clear cut chances, despite what Ben Foster seemed to think after the game. Semenyo should have scored one of his chances and Diedhiou was terribly unlucky that Foster’s leg flicked his chance away from him.

If only a couple of chances from corners had fallen to someone other than Taylor Moore.

But let’s put this in perspective. We had a back three of Moore, Vyner and Rowe who kept Gray so quiet he got subbed and prevented Sarr from doing too much.

Hunt and Dasilva had good games, working with others to double up and stop crosses coming in from the wings. 

O’Dowda was a menace, constantly trying to win the ball back and move forward.

Nagy was tireless and neat on the ball.

Paterson looked to get forward as much as he could and had one decent effort.

My only quibble could be with Diedhiou and how he held the ball up to bring others in to play, but he did really well defensively.

A point against Watford is a decent result. We could have won, and I certainly felt we had the clearer chances despite what the commentators seemed to think.

Well done City. If we can find a way to beat Reading, that’s a great point.

29 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Not sure there are any other kind after that game!

Terrible game to watch, massive lack of entertainment and a superb point from an injury depleted side in the kind of game we'd have lost last year. 

6 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

A point against Watford is a decent result. We could have won, and I certainly felt we had the clearer chances despite what the commentators seemed to think.

Are you really surprised by the ex Prem bias D and M? It isn't the first time and it most certainly won't be the last.

The boys did well tonight, especially the young 'uns which was great to see.

I felt sorry for C'OD. There was about 5 occasions where he'd battle really hard against 1 or 2 Watford midfielders, manage to come away with and promptly pass it straight back to them or out of play. If he can get a bit more composure on the ball, he'd be key in breaking forward quickly to provide some chances up top.

The first half we seemed to persuade ourselves we were inferior. Bentley was time-wasting at goal kicks from the 20 minute point!

The ref let us get away with a lot! Vyner did two blatant shoves on the edge of the box and the ref played on and there were a few other little fouls too.

I didn't expect that second half improvement but by the end we'd had more good chances than Watford. 

Amazing that we now rely on Semenyo to create something. He very very nearly did. Amazing that he's succeeded where Palmer and Elliasson both failed in being an undroppable flair player.

18 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Are you really surprised by the ex Prem bias D and M? It isn't the first time and it most certainly won't be the last.

The boys did well tonight, especially the young 'uns which was great to see.

Oh definitely not, expected it to be all Watford. Foster surprised me a bit by saying they had the better chances around the box though.

12 minutes ago, grifty said:

I felt sorry for C'OD. There was about 5 occasions where he'd battle really hard against 1 or 2 Watford midfielders, manage to come away with and promptly pass it straight back to them or out of play. If he can get a bit more composure on the ball, he'd be key in breaking forward quickly to provide some chances up top.

Overall he had a decent game but I wouldn’t feel sorry for him. It’s one of the reasons that stops him for being a really good player at this level. using his body better to shield the ball and decision making . 

Was a good point, especially given the injuries and Covid. Much better 2nd half.

That miss by Diedhiou though- looked easier to score, was pretty close to point blank wasn't it?? Had more of the ball than the first half, created more as well- looked more cohesive.

Semenyo looked bright, lively- that one for Diedhiou and the other across the box. In fact it's been great to see the blossoming in particular of Bakinson and Semenyo- these are the two standouts- but also the growth of Vyner and Moore. In the case of Vyner, perhaps a bit unexpected.

7 hours ago, grifty said:

Unfortunalty that is typical of COD, can carry the ball forward really well but seems to never get his head up to play the right pass. Hence possession repeatedly too easily lost. 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was a good point, especially given the injuries and Covid. Much better 2nd half.

That miss by Diedhiou though- looked easier to score, was pretty close to point blank wasn't it?? Had more of the ball than the first half, created more as well- looked more cohesive.

Semenyo looked bright, lively- that one for Diedhiou and the other across the box. In fact it's been great to see the blossoming in particular of Bakinson and Semenyo- these are the two standouts- but also the growth of Vyner and Moore. In the case of Vyner, perhaps a bit unexpected.

It wasn’t a miss though. Foster deflected it through his legs, great goalkeeping rather than bad play from Diedhou.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest do you think Fam would’ve been flagged offside had he put it in?

Wasn't there a defender who was chasing Semenyo and had overtaken him so to speak? On the replay there's a defender in there somewhere.

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Yes Lita we picked up that way

Antoine definitely developed here though , (Noticeable development) and a great spot by Tinman as AS was very raw

Was it BT himself or the other Academy coaches at Filton that spotted him...or even Hockaday himself who told them?

Just now, Davefevs said:

Was it BT himself or the other Academy coaches at Filton that spotted him...or even Hockaday himself who told them?

It was said recently (Can’t remember where - think it might have been Gary Owers ) that he was a Tinnion spot 

Its Tins who covers those sort of games / sources - Apparently (Pre covid) takes in a ridiculous amount of games 

Archived