IGNORED

Lansdown sells shares for $137 million

Bobbie

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-11-18/billionaire-lansdown-sells-137-million-stake-in-firm-he-founded

Not sure if this has already been posted but just stumbled across this. Interesting quote below 

I’ve got a lot of commitments over the next 12 months,” Lansdown said. “Some of them have been planned for a long time, and they’re coming to fruition. Others are of a necessity to support businesses.”

Presuming he is, at least in part, talking about the developments around Ashton Gate but hopefully we will also see continued investment in the team.

In Lansdown I trust. 

1 hour ago, Scrumpylegs said:

Good for him. He worked hard, took risks and is now reaping the rewards. Hope he enjoys his money and if that extends to indulging his passion for sport (and BCFC in particular) all the better for us too!

Agree 100%, his money -spend it as he wants...,.he just needs to pay his tax to the government he grew up under, made his money under, and continues to earn money from the businesses he has as equity in and the real estate projects he's working on in bs3 and Ashton Vale......none of which are in Guernsey last time I looked. Massive respect to the guy for what he's achieved and his commitment to BCFC and Bristol Bears but the country is in crisis both  financial and health-wise with the lowest paid public sector workers lined up for a pay freeze and everyone else lined up for increased taxation to bear the cost , not only of the NHS , which we agree with, but to pay for the spivs and chancers and friends of Boris that he has spaffed our money on unaccountable contracts. 

So enjoy the dosh Steve but it would be nice - in the country's hour of need - if you paid UK tax like the rest of us.

33 minutes ago, phantom said:

How many shares are there for him still to be able to sell?

As of June this year - just under 34 milllion shares.

13 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Agree 100%, his money -spend it as he wants...,.he just needs to pay his tax to the government he grew up under, made his money under, and continues to earn money from the businesses he has as equity in and the real estate projects he's working on in bs3 and Ashton Vale......none of which are in Guernsey last time I looked. Massive respect to the guy for what he's achieved and his commitment to BCFC and Bristol Bears but the country is in crisis both  financial and health-wise with the lowest paid public sector workers lined up for a pay freeze and everyone else lined up for increased taxation to bear the cost , not only of the NHS , which we agree with, but to pay for the spivs and chancers and friends of Boris that he has spaffed our money on unaccountable contracts. 

So enjoy the dosh Steve but it would be nice - in the country's hour of need - if you paid UK tax like the rest of us.

Sigh.

I am sure Lansdown pays every single penny of tax he is due as a resident of Guernsey.

He founded a company which is now a FTSE 100 listed business. The economic benefit of this company being based in the UK/Bristol will absolutely dwarf the contributions he no longer has to make (because he doesn’t live in the country).

If you’re looking for people to target for not contributing enough to the UK, Lansdown ain’t your man...

edit - not knowing your financial status, do you contribute more tax than required? I believe it’s an option to HMRC if you want me to find you the link

12 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

At least warn us that your post is a party political broadcast so I can leave the room to make a cup of tea.

25 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I'm sure he pays what he's supposed to pay, and any tax he saves buy living in Guernsey, I'd far rather went partly into bankrolling us, than in tax to HMRC. 

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'm sure he pays what he's supposed to pay, and any tax he saves buy living in Guernsey, I'd far rather went partly into bankrolling us, than in tax to HMRC. 

This 

Plus the millions and millions that the Bristol economy has specifically benefited from through his diverse local investment .

Give it to the Government to be frittered away supporting all sorts of undeserving benefits cheaters or keep it local.

It's at times like this that people like Steve and to a much lesser extent myself, who have made huge sacrifices to get to where we are by saving, investing and pure hard work, are now expected to bail out those who were too busy having a good time and living the high and making absolutely no provision for these rainy days and months 

5 hours ago, zippycar said:

This 

Plus the millions and millions that the Bristol economy has specifically benefited from through his diverse local investment .

Give it to the Government to be frittered away supporting all sorts of undeserving benefits cheaters or keep it local.

It's at times like this that people like Steve and to a much lesser extent myself, who have made huge sacrifices to get to where we are by saving, investing and pure hard work, are now expected to bail out those who were too busy having a good time and living the high and making absolutely no provision for these rainy days and months 

It must be one of the great tricks that the right-wing media have played on the British people in modern times, that the tiny number of benefit cheats that exist are consistently blamed for the woes of the country, whilst the immoral and incompetent private sector bankers that caused the biggest financial crash in a century come out apparently smelling of roses. 

I'm not sure what "huge sacrifices" you are referring to, I'm sure Steve worked very hard, but I doubt he made any particularly special sacrifices that other normal, hard-working folk do for much less money. The truth is that Steve was just able to exploit the system at the right time, no doubt with a good business plan, and he has reaped the rewards in a major way. I would say he has been able to reap far too much reward, especially when you compare his wealth to some of the wages he starts his staff on at HL - sub £15k pa which will barely be enough money for most people to reasonably survive on, especially with soaring rental costs. 

Well done on saving money for a rainy day, I think you'll find that for millions of people in the UK that is not possible though - or it is extremely difficult. Millions of UK citizens receive in-work benefits, which means the government has to top their earnings up because their employer doesn't pay them enough. I think it's questionable how moral and frankly, effective, that system is when individuals are allowed to increase their personal wealth by tens of millions each month, as Steve Lansdown does by "investing". 

Jeff Bezos' (Amazon founder) wealth has increased by £70bn (billion) since the start of the crisis, against a backdrop of 50m Americans being made unemployed and 200,000 dead from covid. Indeed, billionaires all over the world have seen huge increases in their wealth since the start of the pandemic. Wealth of US billionaires rises by nearly a third during pandemic | Rich lists | The Guardian

But yeah, those bloody benefit cheats swindling £140 a week out the system...

9 hours ago, Son of Nob said:

Sigh.

I am sure Lansdown pays every single penny of tax he is due as a resident of Guernsey.

You're not far away with your estimate of a single penny  of tax...........his 2 companies Pula Ltd & Pula Sport Ltd are Guernsey registered - where Corporation Tax is zero - and when he disposes of HL shares as a Guernsey resident he pays no Capital Gains Tax either.

9 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I know you're one of the main capitalists on here, but in the scheme of things - whilst it's nice for Bristol City to do well, it doesn't really matter that much. By avoiding tax - whether using a legal loophole or not - the country is deprived of that income which (in theory) should go towards improving conditions for it's citizens.

The country needs all the income it can get right now - and billionaires exploiting tax loopholes mean that it's others - such as public sector workers shouldering a pay freeze - that have to effectively make up the shortfall.

8 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

You're not far away with your estimate of a single penny  of tax...........his 2 companies Pula Ltd & Pula Sport Ltd are Guernsey registered - where Corporation Tax is zero - and when he disposes of HL shares as a Guernsey resident he pays no Capital Gains Tax either.

He lives and resides in Guernsey though

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I know you're one of the main capitalists on here, but in the scheme of things - whilst it's nice for Bristol City to do well, it doesn't really matter that much. By avoiding tax - whether using a legal loophole or not - the country is deprived of that income which (in theory) should go towards improving conditions for it's citizens.

The country needs all the income it can get right now - and billionaires exploiting tax loopholes mean that it's others - such as public sector workers shouldering a pay freeze - that have to effectively make up the shortfall.

I'd agree wholeheartedly if I believed the current Government had any real intention of improving conditions for all of it's citizens.

18 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

He lives and resides in Guernsey though

but the income* is generated in the UK - and then moves offshore. 

I'm referring to the impending property development around the stadium and the housing at AV.  He is no longer involved with HL

12 hours ago, Scrumpylegs said:

Good for him. He worked hard, took risks and is now reaping the rewards. Hope he enjoys his money and if that extends to indulging his passion for sport (and BCFC in particular) all the better for us too!

I just googled this and did it again. Also looked at History etc. not sure why the rich guy has so many likes? Have I missed something maybe ?

i could go further in regards to his interests in City and why we didn’t have his investment in a world class playing squad available to the poor DH that had to wipe up after the looser Johnson vacated.

11 hours ago, CodeRed said:

How have you arrived at the conclusion that Steve Lansdown (or any entities from which he derives ultimate benefit,) have not paid tax to HMRC?

Of the other 7.7billion non UK domiciled taxpayers around the globe who else do you believe should be paying HMRC and why?

Provided Mr Lansdown pays taxes due in whichever jurisdiction (I'm pretty sure he does,) then what's the issue?

It is entirely up to the Government to set the taxation rules in respect of income and gains arising in the UK, regardless of the residency status of the company or individual.

Governments of all political shades have refused to do so.  You should turn your ire equally on each and Government that this country has ever had.

Perhaps this thread should be moved out of the Football channel if it is gonna turn into a political debate about tax legislation. 

I, for one, am pleased that Steve sees fit to continue supporting the club with his money. Whether some of it should go to hmrc and get wasted by the state isn't really something I worry about. 

3 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Perhaps this thread should be moved out of the Football channel if it is gonna turn into a political debate about tax legislation. 

I, for one, am pleased that Steve sees fit to continue supporting the club with his money. Whether some of it should go to hmrc and get wasted by the state isn't really something I worry about. 

Agree.

Bloke pays tax in his jurisdiction, his former employees pay tax on their income, their customers pay tax on taxable investment income, the building workers/supply chain when he builds his sporting quarter will likely all pay tax....

Not really that football related anymore.

I’d worry more about the lazy element in our population who spend their whole lives breeding and living off the state personally , however much tax SL avoids at the present time he has contributed to society in many ways direct and indirectly , through tax , employing hundreds , improving Bristol as a City ,Etc. etc  let alone our Football Club 

So in a simply enormous way.

I think he’s probably ‘done his bit’ for the UK

Archived