IGNORED

RIP Maradona (Merged)

Malago

As much as I absolutely despised him after 1986, so much so that I had his picture on my dart board, he was without doubt the best player ever, for me. 
I hated him, but as the years went on, and cheating became part of every single game of football and there was no such thing as football purists, I realised that he was simply the best and I ought not hate him any more. 

As others have said, if you haven’t seen the film about his time in Naples, do yourself a favour and watch it tonight (after the City match obvs). It’s a fine film. 

50 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The thing that made Maradona a true great, forget the one incident of cheating, is that he literally carried a poor Argentina side to World Cup victory pretty much by himself.

And did similar with Napoli. He helped win them their first ever Serie A title, followed by their second. All whilst on the bag.

Three days of mourning announced in Argentina, it may be the same in Naples! 

For the 2 years he was at Napoli, imo he was head and shoulders above any player that played the game, what he did for that team, you just need to judge the Napoli before and After Maradonna.  Utterly brilliant, for 2 or 3 years the guy had no peer.  Shame his lifestyle effectively stunted what should have been potentially the greatest every football career, but ultimately probably increased the Legend of Maradonna

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

As much as I absolutely despised him after 1986, so much so that I had his picture on my dart board, he was without doubt the best player ever, for me. 
I hated him, but as the years went on, and cheating became part of every single game of football and there was no such thing as football purists, I realised that he was simply the best and I ought not hate him any more. 

As others have said, if you haven’t seen the film about his time in Naples, do yourself a favour and watch it tonight (after the City match obvs). It’s a fine film. 

And for once, @Harry isn't wrong.

He is however, wrong on the Cole Skuse debate.

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

He was also a team player.

Seen this loads of times, but never really clocked the knock out of the trainer! UFC fighter would have been proud of that!  Bit of an Animal, guess he learned to protect himself from a young age being a a small un!

Never forgave him for the “Hand Of God” episode. 

Maradona was a really short player with no height but his centre of gravity was so low, he could move quicker than anything else on the field, true genius with the ball at his feet, sadly missed in football circles. 

The only other players that came close to him was Pele and Gazza.

RIP Maradona.

12 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Never forgave him for the “Hand Of God” episode. 

Maradona was a really short player with no height but his centre of gravity was so low, he could move quicker than anything else on the field, true genius with the ball at his feet, sadly missed in football circles. 

The only other players that came close to him was Pele and Gazza.

RIP Maradona.

Gazza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not even close

2 hours ago, Akira said:

He was, but I don't see what players are doing now by diving, rolling around like they've been shot, trying to get someone sent off, any different. Almost all players are massive cheats when given the chance in this day and age sadly. 

He was an exceptional talent. Huge player on and off the pitch. He lived a lavish lifestyle. Can't say I'm massively surprised by this news though, it is 2020 after all! 

Exactly this, I don't remember many of us refusing to go to the Gate ever again when our players (rightly in my opinion as it was up to the ref), after Freddie Sears clearly scored for Palace, didn't then hand the ball back to them and let them score.  I seem to remember that there were one or two on here who enjoyed the incident so much that they decided to "poke fun" at Colin after the incident!

Archived