IGNORED

RIP Maradona (Merged)

Malago

Greatest player of all time as a young boy in the 86 World Cup I hated him but the more I saw of him I forgave him yonks ago...watch Argentina’s matches during 86 and he carried an otherwise average squad.

Also turned an unfashionable team into serie a and uefa cup champions.

whatever you think of him he was simply the greatest...I’m Italian so don’t have the English bias but he was purely an artist 

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Bit of myth that but great player. Needed a defence behind him 

Not a myth at all... the defence was good but not the best at that World Cup, the greatest defender they had and one of the best defenders of all time passarella was injured from memory at that World Cup. Again from memory cuciffo and brown were capable defenders but not world class.

all of Argentina’s games at 86 are on YouTube if anyone wants to watch a true genius carrying a team then watch those matches.

1 minute ago, MC RISK77 said:

Not a myth at all... the defence was good but not the best at that World Cup, the greatest defender they had and one of the best defenders of all time passarella was injured from memory at that World Cup. Again from memory cuciffo and brown were capable defenders but not world class.

all of Argentina’s games at 86 are on YouTube if anyone wants to watch a true genius carrying a team then watch those matches.

What about Ruggeri? 

2 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

One of the best defenders to come out of Argentina and South America but in terms of a defence at that time they were nowhere near the best

if you want to look at who was the most important player behind maradona at that World Cup it was Batista who played in front of the back 3 and allowed burrachanga to love further forward and allowed maradona to operate freely.

the back three was good and rugged but without Batista, maradona would not have been freed from the quarter finals onwards

I'm gutted. I'd always hoped he'd find redemption with one last great hurrah as a manager but I guess the demons were too strong.

As natural as it is for us English to hate him, you could never question his talent, appetite nor passion for the game. And I for one prefer a world with Maradona rather than the bland, robot geniuses that the modern game produces. 

He was brilliant as a villain, but even better as a footballer. RIP. 

2 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

I'm gutted. I'd always hoped he'd find redemption with one last great hurrah as a manager but I guess the demons were too strong.

As natural as it is for us English to hate him, you could never question his talent, appetite nor passion for the game. And I for one prefer a world with Maradona rather than the bland, robot geniuses that the modern game produces. 

He was brilliant as a villain, but even better as a footballer. RIP. 

Totally agree in 10

minutes he scored the most infamous and beat goal ever. That World Cup was truly special and for me the best ever.

I hated him After that game because I loved lineker but over the years I appreciated that he was simply the best ever.1

3 hours ago, Harry said:

As much as I absolutely despised him after 1986, so much so that I had his picture on my dart board, he was without doubt the best player ever, for me. 
I hated him, but as the years went on, and cheating became part of every single game of football and there was no such thing as football purists, I realised that he was simply the best and I ought not hate him any more. 

As others have said, if you haven’t seen the film about his time in Naples, do yourself a favour and watch it tonight (after the City match obvs). It’s a fine film. 

@harry knows 

3 hours ago, Harry said:

As much as I absolutely despised him after 1986, so much so that I had his picture on my dart board, he was without doubt the best player ever, for me. 
I hated him, but as the years went on, and cheating became part of every single game of football and there was no such thing as football purists, I realised that he was simply the best and I ought not hate him any more. 

As others have said, if you haven’t seen the film about his time in Naples, do yourself a favour and watch it tonight (after the City match obvs). It’s a fine film. 

With regards to 1986, I gotta' say, who wouldn't have done the same in his position - playing a country that had tonked you in a war four years previous, I'd have been more than happy to use any means necessary to get a result. A game like that should always be approached with a more flexible view of the rules. 

1 hour ago, bpexile said:

Easy.......................!, He only did it once, maybe............................

RIP to one of the greatest.

Hand of God was once. The failed drugs tests though happened at least 3 times...

Even with that, he was still the greatest ever player (imo). 

2 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Hand of God was once. The failed drugs tests though happened at least 3 times...

Even with that, he was still the greatest ever player (imo). 

blimey - credit to him it was only three times. In his position i wouldn't leave home without a brick of charlie down my pants :D 

On a more serious note, he had many flaws and many stains on his character, but i can't imagine the immensity of the pressure he was under. I'm thoroughly in agreement, this was the greatest player ever. 

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

if you want to look at who was the most important player behind maradona at that World Cup it was Batista who played in front of the back 3 and allowed burrachanga to love further forward and allowed maradona to operate freely.

the back three was good and rugged but without Batista, maradona would not have been freed from the quarter finals onwards

is that allowed today wish i was younger.

A question. 
Why did we not have a minute silence before tonight’s game? 
If Pele had died at 5pm this evening, I’d imagine we would have. 

All of football really ought to have paid their official respects to the best player ever to play. Strange that we didn’t. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

A question. 
Why did we not have a minute silence before tonight’s game? 
If Pele had died at 5pm this evening, I’d imagine we would have. 

All of football really ought to have paid their official respects to the best player ever to play. Strange that we didn’t. 

Didn't we other games I was watching did but due extra time I missed the first minuet.

As others have said, the documentary about his time in Napoli is well worth a watch

On a separate note, re hand of god, the thing that annoys me most is Shilton’s pathetic jump to try and punch the ball - must have got about 5 inches off the ground at most. Like he was wearing deep sea diver boots, let alone the fact he must have been about 8 inches taller than Diego 

1 minute ago, 54-46 said:

As others have said, the documentary about his time in Napoli is well worth a watch

On a separate note, re hand of god, the thing that annoys me most is Shilton’s pathetic jump to try and punch the ball - must have got about 5 inches off the ground at most. Like he was wearing deep sea diver boots, let alone the fact he must have been about 8 inches taller than Diego 

I have always found that coming up to tournaments our great keeper for years  loses his jump. cynical  or truth? or Manager who shouldn't be?

2 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Agreed. He carried that side through, but it isn't detracting it from the rest as they were good, but Maradona was simply another level.

He is the closest footballer in History to win the World cup on his own, there isn't anyone who comes near him on that. 

All the Argentina goals in Quarters and semi finals were Maradona and then he assisted the winner in the Final. What more can you really say..

He grew up in the slums - he was the 5th of 8 children - he realised he had a God given talent and he used it to get the hell out of there and become the best in the world at his chosen profession - the poor old geezer has passed away way too early - I know many will mock and criticise because of what he did to England in 1986 but Diego Maradona was a phenomenal football player - just unbelievable ... we’ve lost an amazing talent who was also so very troubled ... rest easy fella ...

Archived