IGNORED

RIP Maradona (Merged)

Malago

9 hours ago, poland_exile said:

With regards to 1986, I gotta' say, who wouldn't have done the same in his position - playing a country that had tonked you in a war four years previous, I'd have been more than happy to use any means necessary to get a result. A game like that should always be approached with a more flexible view of the rules. 

It was the military junta that "tonked" Argentina. I don't think the Mothers Of Plaza de Mayo gave or give a fig about games of football, or beating Terry Butcher and Stevie Hodge. The Falklands was a reasonably fair "fight," in the circumstances but ultimately the Argentine dictatorship are responsible for sending their own young Argie boys to their grim fate. What did Diego have to say about that?

Peter Reid never dropped any Argies out of helicopters. Argies did. 

1 minute ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

It was the military junta that "tonked" Argentina. I don't think the Mothers Of Plaza de Mayo gave or give a fig about games of football, or beating Terry Butcher and Stevie Hodge. The Falklands was a reasonably fair "fight," in the circumstances but ultimately the Argentine dictatorship are responsible for sending their own young Argie boys to their grim fate. What did Diego have to say about that?

Peter Reid never dropped any Argies out of helicopters. Argies did. 

I don't dispute any of that and you are completely correct in everything you say, but you miss my point. 

The match did take on an extraordinary extra level of importance given the recent history between the nations, and that much is confirmed by Argentina's players (and Maradona) who have been quoted at length on the topic. What I am saying is that I understand the passions and win at all costs attitude that it fostered. 

Even without a war overshadowing footballing events, I for one would certainly have done the same thing if the boot had been on the other foot and would expect anyone else do so as well. If it meant the difference between beating the gas in the QF of a cup or losing, I would also be more than happy if City went through with a spawny handball that didn't get spotted by the ref, and i can't imagine many of our fan base calling the responsible player out and labelling him a villain - quite the reverse, he'd be a cult hero at city and you bet your life we'd sing and celebrate the event for years on after. 

As football fans, we can be very selective when moralizing about fair and unfair, etc. Essentially, it's only unfair if you lose. 

9 hours ago, Harry said:

A question. 
Why did we not have a minute silence before tonight’s game? 
If Pele had died at 5pm this evening, I’d imagine we would have. 

All of football really ought to have paid their official respects to the best player ever to play. Strange that we didn’t. 

Not sure about this tbh. I can understand it in the Champions League etc but for a Championship game? For somebody who wasn't from this country and never played in this country. Great player obviously not doubting any of the that and a true legend.

10 hours ago, Harry said:

A question. 
Why did we not have a minute silence before tonight’s game? 
If Pele had died at 5pm this evening, I’d imagine we would have. 

All of football really ought to have paid their official respects to the best player ever to play. Strange that we didn’t. 

It's an argument that will roll on, that one.  He is certainly up there with the likes of Pele, Best, Cruyff, Hewlett, Ronaldo...etc

31 minutes ago, Bristolisredd said:

But what about Messi ? Was maradona better than Messi ? I don’t think he was 

Messi has never done it on the international stage (or single handedly won Argentina the World Cup) and never tested himself outside of Spain.....I personally wouldn't rank him above Maradona for those reasons alone.

22 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Why the Brazilian league? At home he played for his beloved Boca Juniors in Argentina. Boca Juniors could retire it, and Napoli in Italy if they so wanted to. 

I'm sure Napoli retired the 10 shirt some time ago

Edit. Retired in 2000. Complications around numbering in some divisions meant last player to wear Napoli number 10 was Roberto Sosa in 2006

45 minutes ago, Bristolisredd said:

It's hard to compare players from different eras and nobody will ever agree.

But Messi is never going to be as popular in Argentina as Maradona. Messi has only played for Barcelona and has never won anything for the national team.

1 hour ago, Bristolisredd said:

Indeed. So, if Messi was forced to take another number. What happens when he eventually passes, cus we all will. Are we goina end with no numbers allowed? This retiring numbers things is ridiculous. 

33 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

It's hard to compare players from different eras and nobody will ever agree.

But Messi is never going to be as popular in Argentina as Maradona. Messi has only played for Barcelona and has never won anything for the national team.

Ok. But Maradona was an alcoholic and a coke head. Something Messi does not appear to be. 

Archived