IGNORED

That Second Half

Port Said Red

Well considering the lack of freshness etc, etc, I thought that was probably our best football so far under Deano. We looked threatening on the break and the midfield was so strong they could only look to attack down the wings. I felt by the end they had run out of ideas and brought Deeney on to try and get a penalty. 

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Certainly couldn’t see it at half time, we looked shattered.

Great effort & attitude shown & with a bit of luck could have nicked it.

Yep, certainly a game of two halves, would have liked to see Fammy taken off much sooner for either Martin or Wells. Didn't expect anything before the game and ended up slightly disappointed not to have nicked it!

One major highlight for me was how Semenyo was yet again too hot to handle for the opposition defenders.

Left foot, right foot and overall body strength makes him a real handful.

If he could improve the accuracy of his finishing he could or even should end up with 10 goals minimum this season.

14 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

One major highlight for me was how Semenyo was yet again too hot to handle for the opposition defenders.

Left foot, right foot and overall body strength makes him a real handful.

If he could improve the accuracy of his finishing he could or even should end up with 10 goals minimum this season.

Just lacking a touch of composure but wonder if he’s thinking too hard about a first league goal for us, and when he gets it it might calm him down and then he goes on a scoring run? Here’s hoping.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Was a joy to watch 2nd half. A number of times this season we seem to have tweaked things slightly and been much better after the break. No need to make subs like some were suggesting on here and no doubt LJ would have done.

I have no problem admitting that I was one calling for Nagy to come off at h-t but I rarely knee-jerk suggest h-t subs!  He looked spent, he offered no passing options and in fairness I thought he put COD and Pato under pressure by not making passing angles.  They had to come shorter and narrower and therefore closer to our defence which meant Watford condensed the space with little effort.  How many times did we give away possession in tight central areas?  That’s not always the fault of the player on the ball.  Cause and Effect.  Nagy partly the cause tonight first half.

I still don’t think he was himself second half but he was better, and no longer a passenger.  He contributed.

8 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Well considering the lack of freshness etc, etc, I thought that was probably our best football so far under Deano. We looked threatening on the break and the midfield was so strong they could only look to attack down the wings. I felt by the end they had run out of ideas and brought Deeney on to try and get a penalty. 

He's an arrogant thug really isn't he. 

Near the end of the game, as you say, looking for a penalty, didn't get one. As the ball was being played back towards the Watford end, he then tried to intimidate (possibly) Moore by barging/pushing into him as he ran past, only to end up with an arm in his back. Then had a the nerve to moan about it!!

Looks like a player that really doesn't want to be there tbh, and thinks that because he scored 10 goals in the Prem last season, he should automatically be back there now with someone else.

I missed the first half but watched the whole of the second and thought we looked pretty good. My only area of concern was that we appeared a bit static in the box. Semenyo had their right back on toast several times but Watford had so many bodies in the box. 

I think we needed to be a little bit more explosive and give Watford less of a chance to get men behind the ball. 

A really good quality half of football from us though. 

9 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Just lacking a touch of composure but wonder if he’s thinking too hard about a first league goal for us, and when he gets it it might calm him down and then he goes on a scoring run? Here’s hoping.

Considering he's leading our assist chart and was oh so close and unlucky not to add another for Fam last night - I don't think he's panicking or lacking composure in those situations, at all. 

10 hours ago, Prinny said:

I think that was the best half performance since Sheff Weds.

I wonder if we deliberately were on energy conserving mode in the first half particularly in midfield where we seemed to have much more energy second half.

I agree, and actually think that Watford's possession was so negative it allowed us to just sit and conserve that energy during the first half.

10 hours ago, Prinny said:

I think that was the best half performance since Sheff Weds.

I wonder if we deliberately were on energy conserving mode in the first half particularly in midfield where we seemed to have much more energy second half.

I thought we played really well in the first half down at Bournemouth, to be fair. The second half last night didn't quite hit that level, but wasn't far off. 

Personally, I don't know why we abandoned the 4-3-3 last night. The in-form Semenyo in that left channel is a real threat at the moment, much more than when he's asked to play centrally, and he had the right-back Ngakia - who's a really bright prospect - on toast the two times he squared him up in that position. 

27 minutes ago, tin said:

I thought we played really well in the first half down at Bournemouth, to be fair. The second half last night didn't quite hit that level, but wasn't far off. 

Personally, I don't know why we abandoned the 4-3-3 last night. The in-form Semenyo in that left channel is a real threat at the moment, much more than when he's asked to play centrally, and he had the right-back Ngakia - who's a really bright prospect - on toast the two times he squared him up in that position. 

Just what I was going to say. The Bournemouth first half was a good one. Also the Sheffield Wednesday game was a game of two halves too in which we came out flying after the break and looked a different team. In that case we scored twice.

I think we got away lightly last night, in so much as if they had of started with Gray and Deeney, direct into them I think it would've been a long old night for Vyner, Moore and Rowe. However Watfords style up to the 75 minute mark suited us. Perhaps its a bit of naivety from their new manager, I think a wiley old dog like a Warnock would've looked at our back 3 and smelt blood. 

Of course the back 3 is down to injuries etc, and I totally accept that. But that was a good point. 

Watfords lack of inspiration was poor. We gave them too much respect in the first half however that helped preserve energy to be more of a threat in the 2nd. Semenyo was fantastic yet again as too was Vyner. Thought Dasilva had a great game too. I definitely think we should revert back to the front 3 for the Reading game. Semenyo's performance in the 2nd half was much better, due to drifting wide and running at players. I would of taken a point and especially a clean sheet before kick off. COYR!

4 hours ago, Taz said:

He's an arrogant thug really isn't he. 

Near the end of the game, as you say, looking for a penalty, didn't get one. As the ball was being played back towards the Watford end, he then tried to intimidate (possibly) Moore by barging/pushing into him as he ran past, only to end up with an arm in his back. Then had a the nerve to moan about it!!

Looks like a player that really doesn't want to be there tbh, and thinks that because he scored 10 goals in the Prem last season, he should automatically be back there now with someone else.

The highlighted bit was good to see.

Moore has been a bit of a soft touch but he didn't take any crap from Deeney in that instance. He needs to show some aggression in his game imo.

I have had my doubts about DH and still am not 100% sure BUT last night although the tactics were very negative it was very clear we had a plan and every player knew his job and the jobs of others.

This has been missing for sometime and it was great to see  far better level of organisation. I also felt that the players where talking far more.

I also like that DH coaches from his box unlike LJ who preferred to harass the fourth official most of the game.

Cautious optimism

12 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Ben Foster is a good goalie considering he only has one eye. According to his interview they had lots of chances 2nd half and deserved the win!

Agree a possible win to Watford. I think Watford tried to over play us and its great they treated us at a high respect. However if they played normal to want for a better word and played basic football then they would have gone in at half time 1-0 up.

The second Half was great to watch and it showed the lack from both teams in having a traditional goal scorer or getting players in the right position at vital times.

both teams had gold  chances to score in the second half To score but the finishing quality was poor,

man of the match for me is Bentley as he saved it again which brings the disappointment away from of us still not having a quality striker. 

We are still not there yet as a potential driving force in this league and our position is more likely to other teams  in a similar position.

25 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I have had my doubts about DH and still am not 100% sure BUT last night although the tactics were very negative it was very clear we had a plan and every player knew his job and the jobs of others.

This has been missing for sometime and it was great to see  far better level of organisation. I also felt that the players where talking far more.

I also like that DH coaches from his box unlike LJ who preferred to harass the fourth official most of the game.

Cautious optimism

I think this is a key point, regardless of whether you like the tactics or not we do at least seem to play with a plan and the players look like they know what they're supposed to be doing, which was one of the major failings of the last couple of years.

Doesn't mean they'll always get it right, or that the opposition won't work it out and get the better of it at times but we look like a well-drilled side. And when you consider that the fixture schedule means there's not a lot of time between games to work on things, that's a real testament to the staff and players.

23 minutes ago, City oz said:

Agree a possible win to Watford. I think Watford tried to over play us and its great they treated us at a high respect. However if they played normal to want for a better word and played basic football then they would have gone in at half time 1-0 up.

The second Half was great to watch and it showed the lack from both teams in having a traditional goal scorer or getting players in the right position at vital times.

both teams had gold  chances to score in the second half To score but the finishing quality was poor,

man of the match for me is Bentley as he saved it again which brings the disappointment away from of us still not having a quality striker. 

We are still not there yet as a potential driving force in this league and our position is more likely to other teams  in a similar position.

You could say the same for Foster as his toe just stopped Fam having a tap in.

For those banging on about the second half you're signally missing the importance of the first.

Against Premier funded and superior opposition, as a team we played a system that nullified any threat, allowed us to solidify, influence their game and ultimately become expansive second half. Nobody buys a house for the aesthetics of its foundations, though without them you'd have a pile of rubble.

Make no mistake under WeeLee we'd have been at least two down at half-time with the squad available and second half would have been a random, lump-it shambles rather than the accomplished football we played. We could, perhaps should, have nicked it and that's largely because of the team based resilience, albeit not expansive, we played first half.

Archived