Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Bentley

I was concerned by him at times last season. He had some great games but had a mistake in him, especially with crosses into the box but also with shots at goal at times.

This season he has been pretty much perfect so far hasn't he? He looks assured on crosses. He makes the right decision, catching or punching clear. He also comes off his line with balls behind our defence so quickly, his kicking is good or throws and quick.

I like how he positions himself as a sweeper keeper to be available for a pass, sometimes going very wide of goal to create an angle for our defender to pass to.

He looks like a potential top level goalkeeper as he is that modern day goalkeeper. And his shot stopping is top quality I think..now he is looking much more consistent and reliable, I see a big move for him one day if he keeps this up. Very impressed

• Like 10
6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I was concerned by him at times last season. He had some great games but had a mistake in him, especially with crosses into the box but also with shots at goal at times.

This season he has been pretty much perfect so far hasn't he? He looks assured on crosses. He makes the right decision, catching or punching clear. He also comes off his line with balls behind our defence so quickly, his kicking is good or throws and quick.

I like how he positions himself as a sweeper keeper to be available for a pass, sometimes going very wide of goal to create an angle for our defender to pass to.

He looks like a potential top level goalkeeper as he is that modern day goalkeeper. And his shot stopping is top quality I think..now he is looking much more consistent and reliable, I see a big move for him one day if he keeps this up. Very impressed

Agreed he is one of the reasons for our success. 

There was one rather bizarre moment last night where instead of catching the ball at his near post he pushed it away with his forearms and back into danger.

However overall he is in terrific form. 

• Like 3

Don’t know if many have seen this (One for most games now)

Not the most exciting video to watch but reveals how vocal and concentrated Bentley is , and just how much work and constant adjustment a pro keeper goes through in a game

Also shows how quickly he had to react to that effort second half (Around 5:30 in if you want to,just have a look at that) 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 2

He's having arguably his best ever season so far by his own standards. Certainly if you weight the current season for difficulty given it's the Championship and not League 2. He's got nearly his best ever Save% (ignore the 2011/12 season as it's just one game) and his second best ever clean sheet %. There's a significant improvement on last season as well when he really did drop off around this time last year. He's also saved notably more than a) his average for us and b) his career average overall. 

He's not the top keeper in our division but he is really not far behind ex-Prem guys like Krul and Begovic. 

Personally I suspect some of this is simply down to him facing fewer shots this season. Last year we were allowing about 20% more shots and at least one extra shot on target each game. That may not sound like as much but it means Bentley's doing significantly less work, and is exposed to the chance of making an error less as well.

Good job so far, long may it continue.

image.thumb.png.85f613ef499e78ef7fd95f3777e977f4.png

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2

Not stacks to do tonight, but his confidence seems to be growing and growing. Top Championship keeper without doubt. Well played AGAIN DB. Got everything he had to do right. Great punch second half. Loved that one. The importance of having a solid keeper.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1