IGNORED

Callum O’dowda

Bristolisredd

I thought he put in a tremendous shift last night, he took the ball away from our half well, won some good fouls & generally was solid.

I get some people on here really don’t like him but at least he is available to be picked far more often than others in the squad.

Physically and work rate he was great yesterday, just annoying every good action he did was accompanied by a poor one, good little run - passes the ball out of play ahead of hunt. Good pass to someone - 10 seconds later gives away a cheap foul etc 

4 minutes ago, Gazred said:

The stats dont lie, he got struck right in last night. Just needs to find dome end product to his hard work.

Still runs down imaginary dead ends and turns back on himself and gave the ball away cheaply after good work.

It is so frustrating. He can pick up the ball and beat 6 players in tight space but invariably cocks up the pass at the end. It feels like once he has a chance to think he panics, the longer he takes to release the ball the more likely he is to give it away.

I think there are a lot of people who only notice what a player does in possession.  Last night in possession he was okay. Out of possession he was superb, so those fans will never appreciate how good he is.  There were comments last night that he ‘offers nothing’ and similar. As I said last night, he keeps getting picked at club at international level even when managers change.  There’s a reason for that and it’s not that all the four managers who have picked him don’t know what they are doing 

37 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Physically and work rate he was great yesterday, just annoying every good action he did was accompanied by a poor one, good little run - passes the ball out of play ahead of hunt. Good pass to someone - 10 seconds later gives away a cheap foul etc 

Exactly this. 

I thought he was actually pretty good last night off the ball, couple of decent interceptions & a good work rate. 

On the ball not so much, he lost it quite a few times with sloppy touches or passes.

Still not sold on him, but better performance overall than I've seen in most games this season. 

He has buckled down and adapted to a new position.

As many have pointed out he is frustrating in his decision making , he needs to get his head up. 

I am really impressed by his tenacity, this guy wants to succeed and I still think there is more to come from him.His ‘tackling ‘ is quite amusing he just sort of bundles and mixes himself up with the opponent but it is quite effective. 

Well done Callum,keep up the good work . 

I hope he can regain his form he had in the 2017/18 season. I remember how fantastic he was at getting the ball forward. Seeing him make the top key passes along with other great stats in a game shows he's somewhat getting back into that. 

The criticism I can totally understand is that he needs to get himself on the goal/assist sheet more. 

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

No that's not fair and those stats indicate that it's not true.

Absolutely.

He’s improved hugely in this position so should we bomb him out now or keep watching him improve more.  On the ball we can see what he is trying and at the moment it isn’t quite coming off.  If he can improve that a bit more then we have a superb player on our hands.  Keep playing him. 

Some of the COD knockers probably wrote off Semenyo 3 months ago. 

He’s a strange one. The stats for his performance last night granted are good but for me he still doesn’t offer enough.. I don’t think opposition teams fear him, he certainly isn’t one of our danger men i think Pato creates far more problems for opposition teams than COD for example. 
I love his workrate though - you can’t knock him for that.

1 minute ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

When was his last assist because his last goal was in December 2019.

I'm all for players working hard but kind of take that as a given ... for a forward player I think he lacks any real quality.

It's not all about the last pass in a goal though, often it's his carrying of the ball up to the danger areas that create the chances, also he has a good knack of collecting fouls in dangerous positions.

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Absolutely.

He’s improved hugely in this position so should we bomb him out now or keep watching him improve more.  On the ball we can see what he is trying and at the moment it isn’t quite coming off.  If he can improve that a bit more then we have a superb player on our hands.  Keep playing him. 

Some of the COD knockers probably wrote off Semenyo 3 months ago. 

Think some of our fans don’t actually watch , watch what players are doing off the Ball and appreciate the elements needed for a decent team

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Typical O'Dowda performance. Wins balls, drives forward, works his socks off which was key in us being the better side 2nd half.

Become a very important, consistent performer under Holden. Will be hard to drop him when players return.

Sorry but he is one of the weak links....Paterson and Nagy well ahead of him in the pecking order so in my opinion he will be the first midfielder to be dropped.

7 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Works hard, and shows glimpses, but his final ball, and decision making is still very average- no doubt he is there to add the Weimann energy, but he doesn't make any telling contributions in the final 3rd, which is ultimately his job.

He's certainly better than he was (low bar) but, for me, still not "essential".

Excellent summary. Wish I could give it 2 likes 

The biggest frustration for me with COD is that for all the effort and endeavour, things don't "come off" more often than they do "come off".

Classic example would be him getting the ball, skipping a challenge and then misplacing the next pass or getting in a great position and scuffing the shot. 

Thought last night he was good though, there are lots of positives about his game. He's got all the raw materials, physically and mentally (I actually think sometimes his head is moving quicker than his body, if you know what I mean) - but he just needs to be more consistent IMO to be that top player.

He will get more stick than Pato or Weimann, who also come in and out of games, because unlike those two, he doesn't pop up often enough with a key assist or goal that justifies his quieter parts in a game - but i'm sure he'll be working hard on that. 

Archived