IGNORED

Zlatan Ibravimovic Likeness dispute.

Atticus

So for those that enjoy playing Fifa, Zlatan has started whinging that he's likeness wasnt by consent. 

Despite the fact that he has had his likeness in the game for a good number of years now, and has even had EA tweet a photo in the past of him smiling with an UT pic.

Bale has also decided to wade in, agreeing, despite the fact that he was the cover star in Fifa 14.

As much as I dislike EA, and I do (I havent even bought a Fifa the last 3 years, but just try the trial versions) this is concerning. If they happen to win, this could set a precedent whereby EA or any other developer will have to negotiate rights for every individual player. That cannot realistically happen, it could be the death of football simulation games.

IMO, this is greed talking. It is actually quite disgusting imo, especially giving the timing, with your average joe losing there jobs, or being furloughed, is the time he is now worried about his likeness. Like it hasn't been an issue the last god knows how many years, 

8 minutes ago, Atticus said:

So for those that enjoy playing Fifa, Zlatan has started whinging that he's likeness wasnt by consent. 

Despite the fact that he has had his likeness in the game for a good number of years now, and has even had EA tweet a photo in the past of him smiling with an UT pic.

Bale has also decided to wade in, agreeing, despite the fact that he was the cover star in Fifa 14.

As much as I dislike EA, and I do (I havent even bought a Fifa the last 3 years, but just try the trial versions) this is concerning. If they happen to win, this could set a precedent whereby EA or any other developer will have to negotiate rights for every individual player. That cannot realistically happen, it could be the death of football simulation games.

IMO, this is greed talking. It is actually quite disgusting imo, especially giving the timing, with your average joe losing there jobs, or being furloughed, is the time he is now worried about his likeness. Like it hasn't been an issue the last god knows how many years, 

There are claims that up to 300 pro’s could now follow suit & start crying about it! Similar to Man Utd crying about them being used in Football Manager! Just weird if you ask me!

6 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

There are claims that up to 300 pro’s could now follow suit & start crying about it! Similar to Man Utd crying about them being used in Football Manager! Just weird if you ask me!

Indeed. It starts the waterfall. Where was Zlatan when he was pictured with his UT card? Where was Bale when he was a cover for Fifa 14?

This reeks of greed imo. And it is a rare case where I hope EA wins, as otherwise, i do genuinly think Football games will be a bygone era. (In terms of how it is now at least)

Although this is probably motivated by greed, EA have the money to pay players. They sell a game for £60 every year that's essentially a poor copy of the previous year. Micro transactions etc too. EA are arguably as bad as the players regarding greed.

1 minute ago, Banned User said:

Although this is probably motivated by greed, EA have the money to pay players. They sell a game for £60 every year that's essentially a poor copy of the previous year. Micro transactions etc too. EA are arguably as bad as the players regarding greed.

I agree that Fifa games are shocking, like I said, I gave up buying them. But thats not my point.

If EA loses this. Then, you can absolutely kiss goodbye to any competition. Nobody, no dev or publisher will be willing to fork out more then a handful of player likenesses. And then the immersion is gone. 

Just now, Atticus said:

Indeed. It starts the waterfall. Where was Zlatan when he was pictured with his UT card? Where was Bale when he was a cover for Fifa 14?

This reeks of greed imo. And it is a rare case where I hope EA wins, as otherwise, i do genuinly think Football games will be a bygone era. (In terms of how it is now at least)

Exactly, they were happy to go around gloating to their team mates about how highly rated they were & to friends & family about being in a computer game that they would never get into. Now it seems like because they are going down the footballing ladder a little, they feel they need to find even more money on top of the obscene amounts they’ve no doubt already earned!

2 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Exactly, they were happy to go around gloating to their team mates about how highly rated they were & to friends & family about being in a computer game that they would never get into. Now it seems like because they are going down the footballing ladder a little, they feel they need to find even more money on top of the obscene amounts they’ve no doubt already earned!

Yep. Its not consumer friendly. Its literally anti consumer. They are choosing to go down a road of greed because their careers are starting to wind down. Against the football fan imo. Apparently agents are at play. Shock horror there.

Give you 1 guess who their agent is and who really is behind this. There has been a movement growing for a while now about not only image but player data as well, numerous online scouting platforms could be in danger of having to fork out sums to be able to use a players data from games. But as said its just agents/players etc seeing another opportunity for  a pay day.

No surprise that it's Mino Raiola behind this. 

I'd hazard a guess that FIFA/FIFPRO as an organisation own any rights for any player that plays in a competition which they govern. 

It's all because Beckham has just received £40m for his rights to be in the game as a 'Legend' on UT. 

They're now thinking, hmm we want a piece of this!

3 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

No surprise that it's Mino Raiola behind this. 

I'd hazard a guess that FIFA/FIFPRO as an organisation own any rights for any player that plays in a competition which they govern. 

It's all because Beckham has just received £40m for his rights to be in the game as a 'Legend' on UT. 

They're now thinking, hmm we want a piece of this!

Why on earth Have EA paid for that??? That wow. That is beyond a joke. 

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Give you 1 guess who their agent is and who really is behind this. There has been a movement growing for a while now about not only image but player data as well, numerous online scouting platforms could be in danger of having to fork out sums to be able to use a players data from games. But as said its just agents/players etc seeing another opportunity for  a pay day.

:laugh: thinking they can make data trademarked???? That is actually hilarious. My god I hope they try and through with that. They can be made to look the fools that they are. 

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

:laugh: thinking they can make data trademarked???? That is actually hilarious. My god I hope they try and through with that. They can be made to look the fools that they are. 

IIRC the main argument from players is that when they are playing they are "performing" and that the data produced is a product of that performance. Thus it can be owned as a proprietary right. I am no IP lawyer but did a little when I was training. I don't think it is as far-fetched an argument as you might think.

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

https://globalsportsdataandtechnologygroup.co.uk/

Sports Data Governance - We are leading the understanding around the governance and incomes associated with Sports Data. Data is the new oil of the world and we are helping sport to understand and benefit from this. Our first project in this space is Project Red Card.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

IIRC the main argument from players is that when they are playing they are "performing" and that the data produced is a product of that performance. Thus it can be owned as a proprietary right. I am no IP lawyer but did a little when I was training. I don't think it is as far-fetched an argument as you might think.

That sounds like total nonsense to me. That is scary if that is true.

What next? I guess I can market the way I walk.....If anyone dares to walk with one foot after the other I should be paid tbh. 

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

EA have announced that their new version will be amended and they will re-image Zlatans image (And dwindling relevance to the game )

2BCF1B50-B861-49DD-B208-B65A06A4D5F4.jpeg

I actually hope EA market the shit out of Zlatan for the next week or so to really wind him up.

Then I hope they remove his likeness and make him look like an absolute chump.

11 minutes ago, Atticus said:

That sounds like total nonsense to me. That is scary if that is true.

What next? I guess I can market the way I walk.....If anyone dares to walk with one foot after the other I should be paid tbh. 

a. There’s nothing unique, distinctive or attractive about the way you walk. B. You aren’t famous so nobody cares how you walk. C. Your walk cannot be monetised so it’s of no interest to anyone

Without footballers there would be no football games. The games pride themselves on realism and accurately copying the players faces and techniques.  They profit hugely from doing so.  Not sure why they shouldn’t pay for that 

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I actually hope EA market the shit out of Zlatan for the next week or so to really wind him up.

Then I hope they remove his likeness and make him look like an absolute chump.

If they had any sense, EA would release an update now where Zlatan is renamed Zorro Dollars (or something that would make people realise who this has replaced) & make him look like a 60 year-old fat woman & then see what he would prefer while marking all of his attributes right down!

Then he has the choice as to whether he would prefer to actually be in the game or if he’d prefer the new & improved version of him that he’d no doubt get ripped to pieces for.

21 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

They key difference is Beckham is retired, not linked to a club. EA made a statement in response saying they have contracts in place with (in this case) for "player likenesses" through club and league agreements.

Its just a bit of shit stirring from the richest players to grab even more money. I wonder if they realise that their FIFA likeness is actually good for their own brand image. If i was EA id put an even bigger nose on Zlatan just to boil his piss

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Does it really matter if the players "look" like someone? Or have actual footballers names? If the game is playable surely that;s all that matters? 

Seems equally babyish to me to worry about it! 

Theres this thing called immersion. It would be great to have bothe amazing gameplay and immersion of course. 

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

a. There’s nothing unique, distinctive or attractive about the way you walk. B. You aren’t famous so nobody cares how you walk. C. Your walk cannot be monetised so it’s of no interest to anyone

Without footballers there would be no football games. The games pride themselves on realism and accurately copying the players faces and techniques.  They profit hugely from doing so.  Not sure why they shouldn’t pay for that 

What? We can all be footballers. 

And the games take pride in accurately representing players? Hahahahaha No. Pace is all. And that has always been the case. Tell me the difference between goalkeeprs in any fifa game please. 

4 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

If they had any sense, EA would release an update now where Zlatan is renamed Zorro Dollars (or something that would make people realise who this has replaced) & make him look like a 60 year-old fat woman & then see what he would prefer while marking all of his attributes right down!

Then he has the choice as to whether he would prefer to actually be in the game or if he’d prefer the new & improved version of him that he’d no doubt get ripped to pieces for.

Indeed. I am sure he wouldnt really like that. EA really have a chance to exploit this greed imo. 

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

And the games take pride in accurately representing players? Hahahahaha No. Pace is all. And that has always been the case. Tell me the difference between goalkeeprs in any fifa game please. 

We can all be footballers? Don’t think we can. Why aren’t you one? Let me guess, you just decided against it but were of course good enough!

The game prides itself on the realism of players faces and techniques. Ie how they kick the ball and running style.  They should pay for that privilege as they use it to sell the game 

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Its not just PES/FIFA though, its also games like Football Manager, where accuracy of attributes/data for players is a big part. FM basically said they'd have been in big trouble in Manchester Utd's case about name went through, if they had to pay every club/player to be able to use their name in the game, the game would financially be unviable.

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Its not just PES/FIFA though, its also games like Football Manager, where accuracy of attributes/data for players is a big part. FM basically said they'd have been in big trouble in Manchester Utd's case about name went through, if they had to pay every club/player to be able to use their name in the game, the game would financially be unviable.

Absolutely.  It’s a bit of a minefield.  The tattooist who inked Randy Orton tried to claim she should be paid for the replication of her work in WWE 2K.  Unfortunately it will be gaming fans that ultimately lose out as prices will go up or certain games won’t be made at all. 

10 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Surely they can then just not say the data is accurate? Stats in FM are based on 1-20 who the hell can say if they are accurate or not?

Just now, Atticus said:

Surely they can then just not say the data is accurate? Stats in FM are based on 1-20 who the hell can say if they are accurate or not?

Im speaking data wise. 

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Hard to get it wrong really

40-Beautiful-Pictures-of-Pink-Flamingo-Birds-16.jpg.cf.jpg

Archived