IGNORED

Reading – Sat 28th November 12:30 – What Can We Expect?

Davefevs

Their goal knocked us back a bit but up to that point we looked to be in control without creating anything in attack.

We fell apart when Nagy went off but maybe he was out of energy.

I am still waiting for to see what Brunt adds to the team and where he left his ‘ wand ‘ . 

Not a great day at the office but Wells got on the scoresheet, Bentley was superb and Edwards made his league debut . Congratulations that man.

Reading deserved their win today and we need to react positively against QPR.

It looked like a match too far for our boys. 

That was a tired performance today by a stretched squad. I think it has just caught us up today. I’m not ready to hit the panic button or hang the team and manager out to dry just yet. 
If we can keep clawing away picking up points until we get a few back from injury, I’m confident we’ll be strong down the final stretch. 

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Anyone who knows anything about football will recognise that a decent team are most dangerous after a poor run, so the form table actually indicated what a difficult game it would be.

That statement is only true with the benefit of hindsight.

You could say a team that hasn't won for 4 games is very low on confidence and ripe for the taking - just as we are on long losing streaks.

That's why we should have set up to attack with fresh legs.

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Their goal knocked us back a bit but up to that point we looked to be in control without creating anything in attack.

We fell apart when Nagy went off but maybe he was out of energy.

I am still waiting for to see what Brunt adds to the team and where he left his ‘ wand ‘ . 

Not a great day at the office but Wells got on the scoresheet, Bentley was superb and Edwards made his league debut . Congratulations that man.

Reading deserved their win today and we need to react positively against QPR.

I didn’t see us being in control for five minutes in the whole match. Level, yes, but on the back foot almost throughout. Again.

9 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

No shame in getting outclassed by that team. They’ve built a very good squad there. Sometimes the facts don’t suit negative agendas

They were in the worst form (prior to this match) of any team in the Football League. That's the missing context.

Won lots at the start of the season, utterly nosedived afterwards. I'm not chuffed that we provided the sacrificial victim that arrested their winless streak.

A battling loss would have been no shame. But this was a not-at-the-races loss. We looked like lower league opponents.

Urgent rethinks required before the next game.

10 minutes ago, bris red said:

Apparently so. I can’t imagine Brunt coming here for less than 15 k a week either. Morrell would of been on less than half of that i would imagine. 

I have no idea how much he earns but I don't follow the logic of signing him given:

1. DH got the job Ashton tells us because he is prepared to promote youth. Which he is, though Vyner and Moore would have had limited game time were it not for injuries.

2. He complains we have too many midfielders then signs a 37 year old one who is miles past his peak.

3. He dumps Joe as a consequence.

4. Brunt barely plays anyway despite injuries as he prefers to play players out of position.

5. When he does play, surprise surprise, he looks like a 37 year old well past his peak.

So I have to look for other reasons for signing him as there don't seem to be any good footballing ones.

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

And that is very worrying. Had we rotated a couple today, it could have made it easier to do the same Tuesday. As it is Nagy must need a rest, Brunt anyone? Paterson and Vyner have played every game, COD has played a lot including Internationals and Hunt is our only RB . Instead of having a couple of those returning after a rest , some will have to play another 90 Tuesday. Can't rotate JD as the alternative has also played all of the last 2 games. 

27 minutes ago, Henry said:

Look at Brunt for the 3rd goal. Just jogging back when Moore and Vyner are 2v2. If he sprints back, he would have feel the gap. He could have stopped the cross or perhaps the Reading player wouldn’t have attempted the pass.

I think it’s fair to say that having now seen a bit more of him, apart from Swansea where I thought he was fine he offers nowhere near what we need him to.  Nagy off on 73, albeit we score immediately after Brunt comes on....but it then led to us being completely exposed through the middle.  Up until then Reading did create chances but from well worked stuff....not from us being ragged.

15 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

That statement is only true with the benefit of hindsight.

You could say a team that hasn't won for 4 games is very low on confidence and ripe for the taking - just as we are on long losing streaks.

That's why we should have set up to attack with fresh legs.

You’re right, which only proves my point that form counts for nothing if you’re a good team, and Reading are certainly that.  The fact we were playing so soon after Watford was key for me - I’m surprised that Dean didn’t start with Martin and Wells, but ultimately it was a game that would skyways be decided by our defensive performance.

One of those games where a loss looked inevitable early on.  Too many tired and non-performing players today.  I like Dean's consistency in selection but this season is different and it needed freshening up today.  

Vyner was unlucky today but, along with Bakinson, he is looking to be the next very talented and valuable young player to come through.  His stats back that up as well.   I saw an extended interview with him and was very impressed with his maturity and attitude.  

It does look to be a concentration problem with Taylor-Moore.  He's by no means a bad player but he just seems to switch off and opts to play killer passes down the middle but, unfortunately,  forgets which colour shirt he should pass to.    Massengo is obviously talented but just doesn't look suited to English football.  He can look tidy but never looks like impacting positively on the game.  O'dowda has the potential to 'effect the game' but rarely seems to. 

At the moment our attacking line up is feeding off scraps. I think a midfield of Williams, Bakinson and Walsh or Paterson looks to be potentially the strongest. to create chances and protect the defence.  Obviously two are unfit.  Nagy looks decent and deserves games but he has just played a crazy number of games in such a short space of time so I'd have liked to have seen Bakinson start.  Jack Hunt is playing in a physically tough position and probably needs a rest and he is another player who squanders possession too easily, so it was good to see Opi Edwards get a few minutes and he may get a start soon.

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

And that is very worrying. Had we rotated a couple today, it could have made it easier to do the same Tuesday. As it is Nagy must need a rest, Brunt anyone? Paterson and Vyner have played every game, COD has played a lot including Internationals and Hunt is our only RB . Instead of having a couple of those returning after a rest , some will have to play another 90 Tuesday. Can't rotate JD as the alternative has also played all of the last 2 games. 

He is a pragmatist so I suspect he decided we have more chance of getting points against QPR so he kept Martin and Wells on the bench.

We may see them, Bakinson and Kalas start against QPR.

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You’re right, which only proves my point that form counts for nothing if you’re a good team, and Reading are certainly that.  The fact we were playing so soon after Watford was key for me - I’m surprised that Dean didn’t start with Martin and Wells, but ultimately it was a game that would skyways be decided by our defensive performance.

My turn to agree with you on the need for changes - which makes it all the more puzzling why Mariappa wasn't playing, or why he was signed when he wasn't fit?

As someone else pointed out, Reading are in the top 5 for goals scored - we need experience.

The argument is the young lads did OK against a Watford team that also struggled in attack. I just don't understand why we signed someone for the bench with all that experience when we are desperate for it.  

34 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

No shame in getting outclassed by that team. They’ve built a very good squad there. Sometimes the facts don’t suit negative agendas

Yep....perhaps we should sell Ashton Gate and run the gauntlet financially, embargoes etc.

49 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

I can assure you that Brunt is on far less than 15k. He is one of the lowest earners in the original first team squad.

I find that astonishing if true. What are you saying he is on then just out of interest? Less than 7 k a week? Honestly find that hard to believe..

The bit that makes me laugh is that people come on here slagging almost every player off, saying this player isn’t good enough, that player is rubbish etc. and yet seem to get so angry when we lose a game and not only that but expect to finish top 6 with such a “poor” squad!!

We are down to the bare bones with players that could make a difference being long term injured. What are you expecting? A team with half the players not up to it, apparently, to be up there challenging or do you think that any “decent” manager would have us points clear at the top by now?

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

I don't really get this piecemeal side argument. We put out a strong squad today

Our 3 man central defence featured 2 young defenders who have not been Championship regulars before this season plus a 32 year old who has played as a winger, central midfielder or wing back throughout his career filling in at centre-back. And, strong side or not, it is still a side with 8 players missing, at least 4 of which would surely be starting if fit. What's more, most of those players are playing an early kick off in their third game in a week. I just don't see how that can be dismissed as a factor. 

35 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

With the heavy schedule throughout the Championship..........it is a dilemma most teams are facing.  A lot of squads are becoming very stretched, so we are definitely not alone in dealing with this problem.   It will be survival of the fittest, and also the luckiest with injuries?    

14 minutes ago, chinapig said:

He is a pragmatist so I suspect he decided we have more chance of getting points against QPR so he kept Martin and Wells on the bench.

We may see them, Bakinson and Kalas start against QPR.

I said similar before the game, but , Nagy, COD, Hunt, Paterson & JD have all played a lot. I'd expect Kalas to come back in, but is Bakinson ready? I would have thought he would have come on if Nagy was done. Only Kalas gives us a chance to rest someone, ( probably Rowe ) unless we go 4-3-3 and then TM or Vyner too. He may well have thought today was the tougher game and stick with the side, with out squad I think that was short sighted. Not sure Bakinson was ready, surely he would have come on today if he was, who knows.
Now we will have to make changes Tuesday, QPR can be good, have players that can hurt you like Reading today. Personally, I think we need to play one of COD or Paterson, not both. Bakinson & Massengo (though he looked like someone who hadn't played for months today), or Brunt & Bakinson. 

It's been a very difficult start for Holden, not sure he helps himself at times.

1 hour ago, lenred said:

I hope you are right mate. Because win lose or draw Im just not enjoying watching it at the moment. But I do get that you have to work with what you have and he’s done well to get us where we are currently.  

Yeah - bar a 5 minute spell today, we've been dreadful to watch since the international break without doubt. I just think it can't be separated from a need to protect a defence that risks being massively exposed by missing players. If we had Mawson or Kalas fit I feel it would make a massive difference. We could look at playing 4-3-3 without worrying about the defence being exposed and the midfield and wing backs would have more freedom to get forward. 

I do get your point completely though. Performances like our last three can be just about justified when we scrape a win or even when we draw against a recently promoted side but, when it goes wrong as it is today, you just end up with a terrible performance and abysmal result. 

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Yeah - bar a 5 minute spell today, we've been dreadful to watch since the international break without doubt. I just think it can't be separated from a need to protect a defence that risks being massively exposed by missing players. If we had Mawson or Kalas fit I feel it would make a massive difference. We could look at playing 4-3-3 without worrying about the defence being exposed and the midfield and wing backs would have more freedom to get forward. 

I do get your point completely though. Performances like our last three can be just about justified when we scrape a win or even when we draw against a recently promoted side but, when it goes wrong as it is today, you just end up with a terrible performance and abysmal result. 

Agreed and I’m sure when Holden has the personnel available and match ready we’ll see a different starting 11 and style of play. Our side is full of players doing a job rather than being able to make a difference. Stick Kalas, Mawson, Bakinson and one of the unfit midfielders in there and it looks a bit different. Unfortunately we are a couple of months away from that and perhaps adding in January but if we can pick up enough points to stay in touch who knows what might happen after Christmas? Hunt is another one who is due a rest but who do we put there with Sessegnon injured?

15 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Our 3 man central defence featured 2 young defenders who have not been Championship regulars before this season plus a 32 year old who has played as a winger, central midfielder or wing back throughout his career filling in at centre-back. And, strong side or not, it is still a side with 8 players missing, at least 4 of which would surely be starting if fit. What's more, most of those players are playing an early kick off in their third game in a week. I just don't see how that can be dismissed as a factor. 

Reading played Wednesday as well, but they didn’t look leggy. 

Archived