IGNORED

Job for Cotts - Finally !

GrahamC

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I realise that many City fans see SC as some kind of messiah but I was never really impressed with him. I didn’t shed any tears when he got sacked.

Christ alive.

Something else we agree on! ?

I wasn’t a huge fan either. Although it was the Wembley final that was the boy’s first ever game so for that I’ll be forever grateful! 

11 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I realise you are up to your stupid trolling but it’s laughable and somewhat pathetic  in all honesty 

Trolling?......because I have a indifferent opinion on SC than most?       :cool2:

Surely forums are about different opinions?

Interesting that all the talk had been about him ‘waiting for a championship job’. 
Based on this, I’m rather glad he didn’t go to Rovers now - which I thought wasn’t even a possibility but actually now may have been! 

Just now, Robbored said:

Trolling?......because I have a indifferent opinion on SC than most?       :cool2:

Surely forums are about different opinions?

I wasn’t particularly a fan of him when appointed, and I thought the time was right when we sacked him, but I can still appreciate and be thankful for what he did in that L1 double winning season. 

37 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

The very best of luck to him,  a huge task to get another (would be his 6th) promotion with Shrewsbury, they're bottom but one and on an 8 game winless run, but if they give him the full 3 1/2  years - who knows?  If anyone can it Cotts.........top bloke

Not a dissimilar position to when he took over from SOD, not hanging onto leads, conceding goals, losing by the odd goal, etc.

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I realise that many City fans see SC as some kind of messiah but I was never really impressed with him. I didn’t shed any tears when he got sacked.

That probably...........

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fair enough, that says more about you than it does about him.

99 points in a season, first title in 60 years, not exactly Danny Wilson, was he?

.....you beat me to it.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I wasn’t particularly a fan of him when appointed, and I thought the time was right when we sacked him, but I can still appreciate and be thankful for what he did in that L1 double winning season. 

Pretty much sums up my thoughts @Harry

That season was unreal. I will always be thankful for that season. I was lucky enough to be at Bradford away as well. Amazing memories!

All the best SC. Very good appointment for them.

Great League 1 manager - one of the very best - if not THE best and I wish him well. Our promotional double-winning season was extremely enjoyable and I will always be grateful to him for dragging us out of the horrible mire that is League 1.

With regards to his sacking; I firmly believe that it was the right thing to do at the time - we were heading back to League 1 fast and I really believe that the relationship between him and the board had broken down to the extent that he didn't care any more. Of course I could be wrong and I have absolutely NO insider information, but to me that is what it looked like; sticking to a 3-5-2 formation every game despite it not working and deploying his subs at 89th minute when chasing the game looks like either incompetence or someone trying to use our club to make a point. The proof of this is that Pemberton changed to a 4-4-2 and straight away we stopped the rot and LJ completed the turnaround. The Forest fans called him a 'one trick pony' and after we got promoted I could see why.

As for backing; didn't we make £10m+ bids for Andre Gray and Dwight Gayle - as well as a defender from Hull? If any one of those had signed then they would have been our biggest ever signing, so I don't get the 'he had no backing' argument - £10m is a lot of money. Again, others may have insider information and I could be wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Cotts and (God forbid) if we EVER find ourselves back in League 1 he would be at the top of my wish list to get us out of it.

Good luck Steve - I'll be watching Shrewsbury's results now!!

8 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

Pretty much sums up my thoughts @Harry

That season was unreal. I will always be thankful for that season. I was lucky enough to be at Bradford away as well. Amazing memories!

All the best SC. Very good appointment for them.

Agree with all that.

What surprises me, is that people say he never had the backing.

Pretty sure that our double winning season had (in the run up to it), seen SC hoover up the best of league 1 and 2.

He still needed to get a tune out of them, mind.

8 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Some posters prefer Danny Wilson, a Man who was a failure with City to a Man who won us a League title and a JPT in the same season? OK, I think that's enough of OTIB for one day.

Mr Groundhog Day, 4 full seasons in charge & we were still in League One at the end of them ?

54 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Robbo old bean, have you been impressed by any City manager since the heady days of Harry Thickitt?

12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Pretty sure that our double winning season had (in the run up to it), seen SC hoover up the best of league 1 and 2.

He did, but inexplicably allowed Dele Alli and Benik Afobe to play for MK Dons, Tom Clark to play for Preston, Nathan Byrne and Luongo for Swindon, and Eoin Doyle and Sam Clucas for Chesterfield. Unbelievable now, when you think about it...

Those of you having a go at @Robbored be fair.

We were in trouble and likely to get relegated during the end of SC time with us, things had gone stale with his determination to stick with the same formation and spending close to 10 million quid (or at least trying to) on a marquee player was unlikely to be the solution when a broadbrush review of the squad would have likely provided a far better use of funds.

I wasn't unhappy to see the change in management and, but of course wished him well after that truly memorable double season, but I didn't shed any tears when he went.

42 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Great League 1 manager - one of the very best - if not THE best and I wish him well. Our promotional double-winning season was extremely enjoyable and I will always be grateful to him for dragging us out of the horrible mire that is League 1.

With regards to his sacking; I firmly believe that it was the right thing to do at the time - we were heading back to League 1 fast and I really believe that the relationship between him and the board had broken down to the extent that he didn't care any more. Of course I could be wrong and I have absolutely NO insider information, but to me that is what it looked like; sticking to a 3-5-2 formation every game despite it not working and deploying his subs at 89th minute when chasing the game looks like either incompetence or someone trying to use our club to make a point. The proof of this is that Pemberton changed to a 4-4-2 and straight away we stopped the rot and LJ completed the turnaround. The Forest fans called him a 'one trick pony' and after we got promoted I could see why.

As for backing; didn't we make £10m+ bids for Andre Gray and Dwight Gayle - as well as a defender from Hull? If any one of those had signed then they would have been our biggest ever signing, so I don't get the 'he had no backing' argument - £10m is a lot of money. Again, others may have insider information and I could be wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Cotts and (God forbid) if we EVER find ourselves back in League 1 he would be at the top of my wish list to get us out of it.

Good luck Steve - I'll be watching Shrewsbury's results now!!

Wonder whatever happened to him?

Good move for both parties this. Wasn’t quite expecting him to go for a League One club at the foot of the table, but if any man can change a club around, it’s him. 

Shrewsbury is a nice part of the world, good facilities, likeable club etc. Guess I can see why it appealed to him.

All the best to the man!

• The title was changed to Job for Cotts - Finally !
  • Admin
26 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

He did, but inexplicably allowed Dele Alli and Benik Afobe to play for MK Dons, Tom Clark to play for Preston, Nathan Byrne and Luongo for Swindon, and Eoin Doyle and Sam Clucas for Chesterfield. Unbelievable now, when you think about it...

Were any of those actually any better than what we had at the time?

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Robbo old bean, have you been impressed by any City manager since the heady days of Harry Thickitt?

Danny Wilson played the most attractive football in the past 30 years. Such a shame he didn’t win anything and had a team full of piss heads but they provided some really exciting  football. I look back at his tenure with fond memories.

35 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

We were in trouble and likely to get relegated during the end of SC time with us, things had gone stale with his determination to stick with the same formation and spending close to 10 million quid (or at least trying to) on a marquee player was unlikely to be the solution when a broadbrush review of the squad would have likely provided a far better use of funds.

I wasn't unhappy to see the change in management and, but of course wished him well after that truly memorable double season, but I didn't shed any tears when he went.

Glad I’m not the only poster who doesn’t join in the SC ‘love-ins’.......

2 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Seems like they all wanted Paul Hurst back

I shouldn't have thought so.

After the poor play-off final defeat, he left them for Ipswich and took most of their best players with him.

My (perhaps erroneous) understanding is that, despite a relatively successful spell, he is not the most welcome in Salop - living in France I just love to see that word.    

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Promotion and the Mickey Mouse cup aren’t a ‘double’ in my book. Promotion and winning the FA cup would be tho.

53 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Rob sorry but you can’t really call Robbored an expert in City managers after all he is the guy who called the manager who almost got us to the Premier League a “conference manager”, so I take his opinion with plenty of salt.

Archived