IGNORED

Job for Cotts - Finally !

GrahamC

7 minutes ago, glastonred said:

Good luck, Steve! Nice town to end up in! Only problem is that there seems to be two ways to pronounce it, so make sure you get it right! I say "Shro'sbury", while others say "Shroosbury"....Nobody seems to know which is correct!

I'm thinking their nickname "The Shrews" sort of ends that arguement 

17 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

Rob sorry but you can’t really call Robbored an expert in City managers after all he is the guy who called the manager who almost got us to the Premier League a “conference manager”, so I take his opinion with plenty of salt.

Did he call him a Conference Manager before or after that oh-so-near season?

And whilst we had that side that GJ almost got to the top flight, and he has had some lower league promotions can't help but notice that he has spent most of his managerial career in and around the Conference! (That isn't me calling him a Conference manager, just saying it isn't as in accurate a statement as it might have appeared at the time).

30 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I'm thinking their nickname "The Shrews" sort of ends that arguement 

I believe that is only because that is the current way to spell it. The name of the town has changed over the centuries, and there was a time when it was definitely pronounced "Shro'sbury".

19 minutes ago, glastonred said:

I believe that is only because that is the current way to spell it. The name of the town has changed over the centuries, and there was a time when it was definitely pronounced "Shro'sbury".

Scones or scones (ons). Nestle or Nestle (ay). Porsche or Porsche (a).  Gas or shite.  And so it can continue. In all honesty who really cares ?

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Agree with all that.

What surprises me, is that people say he never had the backing.

Pretty sure that our double winning season had (in the run up to it), seen SC hoover up the best of league 1 and 2.

He still needed to get a tune out of them, mind.

And funded most of it with the sale of Sam Baldock to Brighton.  How many managers would’ve been bemoaning losing their top scorer 2 games into the season.  Yes, I know he got Agard, but at a fraction of the money received.  Also ran with a small squad of good players (efficient use of wage budget) rather than MKD who had 30-35 man squad and Robinson bleated all season about us.

Ultimately a good eye for a player at the level above too:

• Nathan Baker (let’s not have another injury debate, Cotts didn’t sign him permanently)
  • Liam Moore - one of the better CBs in the champ, we can assess tomorrow
  • Callum Robinson - still don’t know why he didn’t play him
  • Ryan Fredericks - mmmm, yes, quite
  • Jonathan Kodjia - kerching!

I don’t think we were going down (opinion) but I do agree relationships were looking like they were beyond repair.  With Tomlin on his way in that would’ve helped.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And funded most of it with the sale of Sam Baldock to Brighton.  How many managers would’ve been bemoaning losing their top scorer 2 games into the season.  Yes, I know he got Agard, but at a fraction of the money received.  Also ran with a small squad of good players (efficient use of wage budget) rather than MKD who had 30-35 man squad and Robinson bleated all season about us.

Ultimately a good eye for a player at the level above too:

• Nathan Baker (let’s not have another injury debate, Cotts didn’t sign him permanently)
  • Liam Moore - one of the better CBs in the champ, we can assess tomorrow
  • Callum Robinson - still don’t know why he didn’t play him
  • Ryan Fredericks - mmmm, yes, quite
  • Jonathan Kodjia - kerching!

I don’t think we were going down (opinion) but I do agree relationships were looking like they were beyond repair.  With Tomlin on his way in that would’ve helped.

Dave, I’m sure with your technical skills that’s it’s possible to list players signed by various City managers over the last 30 odd years or so and those who were a success and those that flopped.

I really can’t remember who signed Scot Murray, Tinnion, Lita or Tony ‘tap-In’ Thorpe both of who scored loads for City.

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Dave, I’m sure with your technical skills that’s it’s possible to list players signed by various City managers over the last 30 odd years or so and those who were a success and those that flopped.

I really can’t remember who signed Scot Murray, Tinnion, Lita or Tony ‘tap-In’ Thorpe both of who scored loads for City.

What point are you trying to make?  I’m not sure at what angle you’re coming from here?

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What point are you trying to make?  I’m not sure at what angle you’re coming from here?

My point is that all managers make decent signings as well as poor ones and SC was no different in that and yet all we see on here is the successful ones that he made.

As I asked earlier- who signed Murray, Tinnion, Tony Thorpe and other successful players and who signed Pennyfather? 

Good luck Cotts.

What a fantastic manager he was for City; none could have been better at galvanising the club, reinvigorating the passion of the fans, and creating an unrivalled spirit and winning mentality in the dressing room.

Good luck to Shrewsbury too - when the fans see his determination and enthusiasm they'll soon warm to him and love the attacking football his revitalised team serves up.

I'm confident they'll soon be on an upward trajectory and I'll be watching their progress with great interest.

#WINNER.

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

My point is that all managers make decent signings as well as poor ones and SC was no different in that and yet all we see on here is the successful ones that he made.

As I asked earlier- who signed Murray, Tinnion, Tony Thorpe and other successful players and who signed Pennyfather? 

To be honest Cotts hit rate is higher than most.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It is like the ramblings of the bloke on a night bus, isn’t it?

Glenn Pennyfather? ******* hell..

You judge a manager overall, Pulis for instance, virtually all his signings for us were shit (don’t give me that Billy Mercer nonsense, we paid him 3 years money for about 25 games).

I blocked his inane posts so I don’t see his nonsense unless someone quotes him, but to say all managers make good signings as well as poor ones is unsurprisingly, simplistic bollocks.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I was talking about his eye for a young player, not necessarily how well they did for City per se.

Simon Cox, Elliott Bennett and Ben Hamer were the other three loan signings.  Hamer is still a Champ keeper (despite being dodgy imho), Bennett is too.  Cox was 28 so slightly different.

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Why you don’t research it 

Pennyfather ?

Troll

Troll

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was talking about his eye for a young player, not necessarily how well they did for City per se.

Simon Cox, Elliott Bennett and Ben Hamer were the other three loan signings.  Hamer is still a Champ keeper (despite being dodgy imho), Bennett is too.  Cox was 28 so slightly different.

And of course the Elephants in the room

McGuire & Gray 

They did alright too

Had an eye for a good player did Cotts (Credit to Keith Burke too)

5 hours ago, SBB said:

Their fans don’t seem too happy. I’d be over the moon if I was a Shrewsbury supporter. 

Having lived there for ten years, they are my second favourite team. So delighted and expect Shrews to finish mid table instead of scrapping at the bottom.

2 hours ago, glastonred said:

Good luck, Steve! Nice town to end up in! Only problem is that there seems to be two ways to pronounce it, so make sure you get it right! I say "Shro'sbury", while others say "Shroosbury"....Nobody seems to know which is correct!

Then call it Salop!

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Promotion and the Mickey Mouse cup aren’t a ‘double’ in my book. Promotion and winning the FA cup would be tho.

Not exactly sure that winning the FA Cup from L1 is really an option or indeed a priority to go after but the L1 title and the JPT are realistic opportunities for most L1 sides. Winning them both can justifiably be called a 'double winning' season from the position which you start. I certainly don't look upon the JPT as Mickey Mouse (although sadly the changes made by the EFL post us winning it for a record 3rd time have made it somewhat tinpot and laughable, much like your 2nd team). Out of interest, did you go to Wembley for the Freight Rover appearances and/or JPT?

Archived