IGNORED

Job for Cotts - Finally !

GrahamC

12 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Not exactly sure that winning the FA Cup from L1 is really an option or indeed a priority to go after but the L1 title and the JPT are realistic opportunities for most L1 sides. Winning them both can justifiably be called a 'double winning' season from the position which you start. I certainly don't look upon the JPT as Mickey Mouse (although sadly the changes made by the EFL post us winning it for a record 3rd time have made it somewhat tinpot and laughable, much like your 2nd team). Out of interest, did you go to Wembley for the Freight Rover appearances and/or JPT?

I hated being in, really hated it. I felt embarrassed that we were outside of the top two and ‘reduced’ to having to enter it.

Whenever I was abroad on holiday I never ever mentioned  it to fans of other ‘bigger’ clubs. The fact that we’ve won it several times is meaningless to me despite having gone along to most if not all of the Wembley finals - essentially for a day out.

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I hated being in, really hated it. I felt embarrassed that we were outside of the top two and ‘reduced’ to having to enter it.

Whenever I was abroad on holiday I never ever mentioned  it to fans of other ‘bigger’ clubs. The fact that we’ve won it several times is meaningless to me despite having gone along to most if not all of the Wembley finals - essentially for a day out.

So you hated being in a competition we had a realistic chance of winning? And you felt so embarrassed being 'reduced' to taking part in a competition we had a legitimate right to be in that you still felt compelled to get a ticket to the final, just for the day out, not the actual chance of seeing City winning at the home of football? Not once but 3 times. Where most clubs would give anything to play in the final of any competition, 'Mickey Mouse' or otherwise.

Just now, BanburyRed said:

So you hated being in a competition we had a realistic chance of winning? And you felt so embarrassed being 'reduced' to taking part in a competition we had a legitimate right to be in that you still felt compelled to get a ticket to the final, just for the day out, not the actual chance of seeing City winning at the home of football? Not once but 3 times. Where most clubs would give anything to play in the final of any competition, 'Mickey Mouse' or otherwise.

Not me. Winning the MM cup only means something to the club fans that won it.  Without looking it up I couldn’t tell you who won it last season or any other season for that matter.

I could tell you won the FA cup last season tho.

17 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Isn’t the story that he drove a minibus for Rovers when they got there?

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That's the story. Plainly takes absolutely no satisfaction from City actually winning titles and competitions, however Mickey Mouse they are. Closet saghead.

Guess it’s hard to enjoy or be impressed by the mere 96 goals scored or the goal difference  of +58

Or scoring 3 away from home Ten times that season ! (Actually I lie , it was 3 nine times and just the six at Bradford)

Or the 8 goal demolition of Walsall

The more I think about it , it was unimpressive

You may not be keen on the man , but to be not impressed what he did , ......... laughable 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I remember going to Majorca & wearing the tee shirt i bought for one of the finals (unfortunately can't remember which one) on several occasions. Couldn't have been prouder & never got any derisory comments from fans of other clubs, of which there were plenty!

Might have something to do with the fact i'm 16 stone (and not fat!!) though!! ?

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Promotion and the Mickey Mouse cup aren’t a ‘double’ in my book. Promotion and winning the FA cup would be tho.

How many trophies did we win? 
1 or 2. 
If it was 2, then it’s classed as a ‘double’. 
Can you check for me please. I’m sure we won 2. 

4 hours ago, glastonred said:

Good luck, Steve! Nice town to end up in! Only problem is that there seems to be two ways to pronounce it, so make sure you get it right! I say "Shro'sbury", while others say "Shroosbury"....Nobody seems to know which is correct!

3 hours ago, BigTone said:

Scones or scones (ons). Nestle or Nestle (ay). Porsche or Porsche (a).  Gas or shite.  And so it can continue. In all honesty who really cares ?

Bakeinson or Backinson? 
Naggy or Najj? 

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Then call it Salop!

Is that Sal-up or Suh-lopp 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Absolutely true.

Good mates  I used to drink with, several of them gasheads and me a City fan. As you can imagine lots of friendly banter over a few pints. They were made up that they’d reach a Wembley final  and kept going on about it...................:disapointed2se:

They thought it would be amusing if they bought me a ticket that I drove them to Wembley so they could all go on the piss. At the time the the new Wembley had just opened and it was an opportunity to see it so I agreed. 

No big deal. Wembley was truly impressive and I’m glad I went.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely true.

Good mates  I used to drink with, several of them gasheads and me a City fan. As you can imagine lots of friendly banter over a few pints. They were made up that they’d reach a Wembley final  and kept going on about it...................:disapointed2se:

They thought it would be amusing if they bought me a ticket that I drove them to Wembley so they could all go on the piss. At the time the the new Wembley had just opened and it was an opportunity to see it so I agreed. 

No big deal. Wembley was truly impressive and I’m glad I went.

Now tell us the real truth Robbo !!

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Danny Wilson played the most attractive football in the past 30 years. Such a shame he didn’t win anything and had a team full of piss heads but they provided some really exciting  football. I look back at his tenure with fond memories.

Danny Wilson also provided what I regard as my worst experience as a City fan - that play off final v Brighton. Cotterill delivered what Wilson couldn’t - and in style. Good luck to the guy. I hope he does well. 

4 hours ago, SuperDziek said:

Still waiting to find out who signed Glenn Pennyfather.....

Good luck Cotts - might have ‘only’ been League 1 and the JPT but what a season it was. If only the rug wasn’t pulled from under him on the big signings he had lined up.

It was Russell Osman, I believe.

Really cannot see why on earth he was mentioned in the first place, though.

Osman had absolutely no money & was tasked with signing cheap players to keep us in The Championship. If I remember correctly Pennyfather wasn’t even full time when he played for us, as he was teaching part time.

Why his name came up you will have to ask the person who did so.

He is by no means the worst player we ever signed, was cheap & left us after a very short spell, so it just seems a completely random name to bring up now.

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Fair enough, that says more about you than it does about him.

99 points in a season, first title in 60 years, not exactly Danny Wilson, was he?

90 odd goals in the League too, winning JPT- a unique double- and even a modest run in the Cup, unluckily losing to West Ham- we were great first half.

Hope he does great there, best of luck to him and Shrewsbury.

Good appointment for them.

I spoke to a gashead a few weeks back about Cotts - I said they should bite his hand off to be their new manager because he is a phenomenal manager at their  level - he replied “we wouldn’t touch a dirty City has-been, we can do much better” - then when I said we had been happy to welcome both Terry Cooper and John Ward to our club after they’d been at Roverzzzz, and they both won us promotion; he was non-plussed - I just love the typical gormless gashead look when they realise a conversation hasn’t gone their way ... priceless ...  

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Really cannot see why on earth he was mentioned in the first place, though.

Why his name came up you will have to ask the person who did so.

it just seems a completely random name to bring up now.

It seems Robbored has a bit of a penchant for mentioning Pennyfather occasionally, and especially likes adding him on at the end when he's listing former City players for whatever reason.

A quick search of OTIB shows Pennyfather only rarely crops up in threads, the last time before today being September 28th by.......... Robbored.

'Well......I’m no coach but I could see almost immediately that he was either trying to hard to impress or simply out of his depth. He didn’t seem to have any idea as to what he was supposed to be doing.

Szmodics was one of only four or five players where I’ve seen that. Akinde was one, Gilepsie, Scot Brown Pennyfather were anothers.'

Surprisingly, for such an an astute comment, only one reader was moved to leave a reaction - a chin scratch from an evidently bemused Shelton's Army.

10 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

Pretty much sums up my thoughts @Harry

That season was unreal. I will always be thankful for that season. I was lucky enough to be at Bradford away as well. Amazing memories!

All the best SC. Very good appointment for them.

Fate decreed that I was also there that night, having brought along a Spurs fan with me. He’d never seen such an atmosphere. I’ll never forget what Cotts did for us. Never.  Ever.   

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

The joy of football is absolutely wasted on you. You really are the most miserable person. 

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

Danny Wilson played the most attractive football in the past 30 years. Such a shame he didn’t win anything and had a team full of piss heads but they provided some really exciting  football. I look back at his tenure with fond memories.

Cotts pisses all over your beloved Danny Wilson.

10 hours ago, Harry said:

How many trophies did we win? 
1 or 2. 
If it was 2, then it’s classed as a ‘double’. 
Can you check for me please. I’m sure we won 2. 

Check? 

It was on the OS! 

11 hours ago, Robbored said:

Not me. Winning the MM cup only means something to the club fans that won it.  Without looking it up I couldn’t tell you who won it last season or any other season for that matter.

I could tell you won the FA cup last season tho.

I meant a lot to me as a young man. I loved the day out and experience, especially of the Bolton game. 

Archived