IGNORED

Film censorship in the past

Lanterne Rouge

I`m just settling down to watch one of the greatest films of all time, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. Anyone else remember when it came out at the cinema it was an X? That`s over-18s only for you young `uns.

From an X at the pictures to being shown on prime time C5 - how times have changed.

I`m trying to recall what other movies were X-rated back then but wouldn`t be now by a long chalk. The other spaghetti westerns and I think the Bruce Lee kung fu stuff along with some Hammer Horror films - anyone recall any others?

24 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`m just settling down to watch one of the greatest films of all time, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. Anyone else remember when it came out at the cinema it was an X? That`s over-18s only for you young `uns.

From an X at the pictures to being shown on prime time C5 - how times have changed.

I`m trying to recall what other movies were X-rated back then but wouldn`t be now by a long chalk. The other spaghetti westerns and I think the Bruce Lee kung fu stuff along with some Hammer Horror films - anyone recall any others?

Psycho was an X in 1960 when it came out, now it's shown a lot on tele.

Two that I remember are both Peter Seller's films (early 60's)  Never Let Go , bit of mild violence and  Only Two Can Play , bit of sexual innuendo, but very tame (both shown often on Talking Pictures)

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Peter Brook’s film of Lord of the Flies was made an X even though almost every cast member was under 16.  There had to be a special dispensation in parliament so that the cast could see their own film...

On 27/11/2020 at 22:18, Lanterne Rouge said:

The Exorcist ? Although released a bit later.

On 27/11/2020 at 21:18, Lanterne Rouge said:

Bit different but there's a Laurel and Hardy, "Live Ghost" where they have to use an innuendo instead of being able to say the word "hell".

55 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Things have certainly changed. I know that the BBC used to get very nervous about songs like Let's Spend The Night Together, and now you can't switch on after 9 O'clock and not see somebody shagging someone.

Ask your neighbours to close their curtains Appy

Archived