IGNORED

Yellow footballs

phantom

• Admin
37 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Yellow footballs were needed when matches were played with snow on the pitch. That never happens now so any colour except green is ok 

No,yellow footballs were used between November and February for years 

Nothing to do with snow  that is yellow footballs 

Around a lot longer than i thought...

https://www.efl.com/news/2019/february/winter-ball-to-be-used-for-the-last-time/

The EFL's Official Match Ball for the winter period will be used for the last time this week.

Introduced 21 years ago during the 1998/99 season, the yellow ball was brought in for the period between the end of October and the end of March, when adverse weather conditions are more likely to occur. 

Though it will continue to be used in the event of snow, tonight's EFL and Checkatrade Trophy fixtures will bring an end to its use in a seasonal sense.

The Mitre Delta Hyperseam, Mitre’s most technologically advanced football ever produced, will continue as The EFL’s Official Match Ball for the 2018/19 season.

There is some dubious science behind this: apparently yellow is a more eye-catching colour in the winter months, giving players a better vision of it. How it can be more eye-catching than a white ball has always baffled me. Add in the fact that balls these days are plastered with other 'graphics' (they were plain until then) and that argument seems poor. I am old enough to remember balls being brown, then chrome tan, then white - and now it's rainbow. My favourite used to be the Minerva Supreme - as used at the Gate for many years.

14 hours ago, Erithacus said:

There is some dubious science behind this: apparently yellow is a more eye-catching colour in the winter months, giving players a better vision of it. How it can be more eye-catching than a white ball has always baffled me. Add in the fact that balls these days are plastered with other 'graphics' (they were plain until then) and that argument seems poor. I am old enough to remember balls being brown, then chrome tan, then white - and now it's rainbow. My favourite used to be the Minerva Supreme - as used at the Gate for many years.

Tennis also now uses yellow balls because they are more eye catching than white on TV  (which they used to use). U.K. colour TV started around 1967. Tennis started using yellow balls in 1972, but Wimbledon held back until 1986.

Lots of younger fans therefore wont remember tennis being played with white balls.

Archived