IGNORED

Difficulties.....

TomThumb84

Few problems here for Dean, Paul and Keith to sort out.

I feel we do not have the centre-halves available to play 4-3-3 which appears our best formation and is the only one that accommodates Antoine in his most natural position (wide in a front 3). As much as I want Taylor Moore to succeed he yet again was not great. He should have seen red chasing his own touch and effectively cost us any hope of chasing the game by gifting them the third (Massengo looked painfully rusty chasing back however).

If we go 3-5-2, it means we miss the above that has served us so well as I am to be proved wrong but I do not think Antoine is a striker in a two yet, and Martin and Wells were a good partnership in the run at the start of the season. What did not help today when 3-5-2 was Fam’s inability to hold or hide anything that went up to him.

Without Kalas, Mawson or Baker fit we look so vulnerable and Bentley was our best player again today.

Difficult one to fix this, and without stating the obvious (fully fit squad) these are testing times getting the personnel into a system that sees us tight at the back, and holding a goal threat too.

Just how I see it.

1 minute ago, TomThumb84 said:

Few problems here for Dean, Paul and Keith to sort here.

I feel we do not have the centre-halves available to play 4-3-3 which appears our best formation and is the only one that accommodates Antoine in his most natural position (wide in a front 3). As much as I want Taylor Moore to succeed he yet again was not great. He should have seen red chasing his own touch and effectively cost us any hope of chasing the game by gifting them the third (Massengo looked painfully rusty chasing back however).

If we go 3-5-2, it means we miss the above that has served us so well as I am to be proved wrong but I do not think Antoine is a striker in a two yet, and Martin and Wells were a good partnership in the run at the start of the season. What did not help today when 3-5-2 was Fam’s inability to hold or hide anything that went up to him.

Without Kalas, Mawson or Baker fit we look so vulnerable and Bentley was our best player again today.

Difficult one to fix this, and without stating the obvious (fully fit squad) these are testing times getting the personnel into a system that sees us tight at the back, and holding a goal threat too.

Just how I see it.

Yep. Today shows just how injuries have affected us. In a run of games in quick succession, we’ll have a few like this.

What worries me more, is the number of 45 min periods where we just don’t even get a strike on goal. It seems fairly common for us to go for a half without shooting. Anyone got the stats for our numbers of shots on goal? I reckon we’d have to be low down in any table for that.

Hopefully Kalas back Tuesday and then I think we might go 433 again.

Moore and Vyner exposed when Nagy went off....but we gambled at 1-0 down by taking Rowe off - he was our best outfield player imho today.

Lots of little things wrong or went badly today.  That’s football.

28 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Yep. Today shows just how injuries have affected us. In a run of games in quick succession, we’ll have a few like this.

What worries me more, is the number of 45 min periods where we just don’t even get a strike on goal. It seems fairly common for us to go for a half without shooting. Anyone got the stats for our numbers of shots on goal? I reckon we’d have to be low down in any table for that.

Gotta give the opposition some credit for that today . It’s wasnt down to Citys ineptitude.Reading themselves only had one on target in the first 45.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Moore and Vyner exposed when Nagy went off....but we gambled at 1-0 down by taking Rowe off - he was our best outfield player imho today.

Absolutely. 

Not a performance to write home about. Turgid first half both teams cancelling themselves out. Slightly better second half with a change of shape but sadly to no avail.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, I’ve been a big critic of Holden at times. But today, it just seemed like a game too far for a stretched squad.

Agree about Rowe, he played well. Also liked some of what I saw from O’Dowda driving forward.

If we get that penalty shout in the first half, and I though Semenyo was shoved just prior to their first goal, things could have ended differently.

Got what we deserved today ultimately, for a couple of poor defensive decisions against a team renowned for being clinical.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Gotta give the opposition some credit for that today . It’s wasnt down to Citys ineptitude.Reading themselves only had one on target in the first 45.

Absolutely. 

Not a performance to write home about. Turgid first half both teams cancelling themselves out. Slightly better second half with a change of shape but sadly to no avail.

I only saw their 3rd goal on Hesgoal and I have to say it was a bit soft and too easy. We didn't seem to be up for any challenges. Our play leading up to it was naff to say the least. Can't comment on the rest of the game though.

24 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I only saw their 3rd goal on Hesgoal and I have to say it was a bit soft and too easy. We didn't seem to be up for any challenges. Our play leading up to it was naff to say the least. Can't comment on the rest of the game though.

Lack of effort is one thing you can’t label the players with,if you are continually chasing the ball game after game much like under Johnson then eventually you will slip below standards 

22 hours ago, BigTone said:

Reading were too strong for City in every department. 

17 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Worse, if he says he'll be back in 2 weeks we can probably write him off for the rest of the season!

To be fair he never gave a date at which they were 2 weeks away from... back end of feb is still two weeks away if he’s talking about the middle of feb 

4 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Either way rest Moore, play Kalas and he must play Mariappa. What about a Kalas/ Mariappa  playing as two center halfs. Bossing the rest of the defense. 

Has he mentioned anywhere why Mariappa, on paper our most experienced defender, hasn't had any game time?

Seems very strange when we are playing top teams that he's not featured.

If he wasn't ready for Reading or Watford can he be available 3 days later - or is he 2 weeks away?

2 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Has he mentioned anywhere why Mariappa, on paper our most experienced defender, hasn't had any game time?

Seems very strange when we are playing top teams that he's not featured.

If he wasn't ready for Reading or Watford can he be available 3 days later - or is he 2 weeks away?

No explanation has been given.

Of course we don’t know what level of fitness he was at when he joined (less than 3 weeks ago) as rumour is he was training with a non league team, having left Watford in the summer.

I think he is likely to feature at some point this week, whether Kalas does or not.

Had we kept it at 1-1 for longer than a couple of minutes on Saturday I reckon he would have come on.

On 28/11/2020 at 14:37, TomThumb84 said:

Few problems here for Dean, Paul and Keith to sort out.

Just how I see it.

I thought we had an experienced centreback on the bench in Mariappa but went with Vyner, Moore and Rowe as our central 3?

6 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

I thought we had an experienced centreback on the bench in Mariappa but went with Vyner, Moore and Rowe as our central 3?

After consecutive clean sheets against Derby & Watford since the international break, I know, I am sure everyone was saying beforehand this was a mistake, no?

Archived