IGNORED

Paterson

Fuber

I keep banging this drum, for which I apologise.

Needs dropping. Period.

I cant accept it being worth keeping him in the team for the odd goal or assist when his overall game just isn't good enough, as highlighted today and to a degree against Watford.

Gave away the ball, near every time he had it this afternoon. Too often there's no end product, may as well have played with 10 men.

Doesn't down close enough, but more importantly, just waits for the ball to come to him.

If Bakinson is fit, he need to drop into that creative role as it at least allows us to rotate players around him with his strength, and give us some height in the middle of the park, while still having the ability to pick a pass.

There were many poor performances today. But Pato's was near criminal, along with Moore and Hunt, today.

Ultimately, you compare him to Ejaria today. Night and Day.

15 minutes ago, swanker said:

He’s had the odd few good game in his time here but there’s no way on this planet we are going to be promotion contenders with him as a regular. I honestly wouldn’t miss him if we let him go. 

Nor would any of the team miss him on the pitch!
You are taking a throw in, he’s either too far away or static alongside an opposition player.

You pass the ball forward to him with an opponent within 5 yards the ball will come right back, no attempt to run with the ball. 

He gets the ball on a turnover which he did at least 5 times first half and he will lose it!

In front of goal he suddenly finds a little speed and perhaps a bit of accuracy but no end effect.

2 of Readings best attacks today came from him losing the ball in the attacking half!

Occasionally having a really good game is not enough at this level - get rid

21 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

I guess Palmer would be the alternative, if he was here??? 

At least Paterson is good off the ball, pressing etc, even if he has a bad game on the ball.  Palmer is awful without the ball and so a system can break down.  Assume he can still not get in the Swansea team although I haven't checked.  

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

At least Paterson is good off the ball, pressing etc, even if he has a bad game on the ball.  Palmer is awful without the ball and so a system can break down.  Assume he can still not get in the Swansea team although I haven't checked.  

Do you honestly think Pato is good off the ball?

Pato's a bit like the little girl in the old nursery rhyme: When he's good, he's very very good, but when he's bad he's horrid.

He just goes missing in so many games. When that's the case, we may as well field 10 men.

At the same time, he's pretty talismanic when he switches it on.

3 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

I would drop Pato but only to give him a rest. Just put in Massengo or Bakinson and just let him have a week off. 

I thought Bakinson was looking really good before he had to miss the last few games.

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Pato's a bit like the little girl in the old nursery rhyme: When he's good, he's very very good, but when he's bad he's horrid.

He just goes missing in so many games. When that's the case, we may as well field 10 men.

At the same time, he's pretty talismanic when he switches it on.

Was about to say the same. 
Poor today. And when he’s poor it really shows. But, he’s the only one in the team who ‘might’ create. 
But yes, not good today. 

8 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Harsh. Think he’s had a great season so far, however did look tired today and I would rest him for Bakinson (DM) on Tuesday with Nagy pushing further forward. 

He was so tired he couldn't even control the ball and kept giving it away. Poor bloke, he obviously needs a holiday!

Ive said it time and time before Pato is good in bursts - you’ll get a run of 2 or 3 brilliant performances out of him and then an equal or longer run of poor performances and then the cycle repeats itself. He is extremely frustrating but unfortunately he is what he is and that is extremely inconsistent.. without any obvious replacements in that creative role i think DH is pretty stuck at the moment - not really left with much choice but stick with him and hope he can play himself back into form again.

28 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Paterson's good off the ball? Derby fans thought something similar, they thought he was good when he was off the pitch!

1 hour ago, cityshippers said:

At the moment he is our only creative type player, he's been poor lately but no obvious replacement at present 

This is where releasing Palmer has backfired. Paterson is coasting because he can. Historically he has thrived on a challenge or competition. When both him and Wells aren’t firing we may as well play with 9. 

3 minutes ago, bris red said:

Ive said it time and time before Pato is good in bursts - you’ll get a run of 2 or 3 brilliant performances out of him and then an equal or longer run of poor performances and then the cycle repeats itself. He is extremely frustrating but unfortunately he is what he is and that is extremely inconsistent.. without any obvious replacements in that creative role i think DH is pretty stuck at the moment - not really left with much choice but stick with him and hope he can play himself back into form again.

Exactly what Florist fans said he was like. 

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

I keep banging this drum, for which I apologise.

Needs dropping. Period.

I cant accept it being worth keeping him in the team for the odd goal or assist when his overall game just isn't good enough, as highlighted today and to a degree against Watford.

Gave away the ball, near every time he had it this afternoon. Too often there's no end product, may as well have played with 10 men.

Doesn't down close enough, but more importantly, just waits for the ball to come to him.

If Bakinson is fit, he need to drop into that creative role as it at least allows us to rotate players around him with his strength, and give us some height in the middle of the park, while still having the ability to pick a pass.

There were many poor performances today. But Pato's was near criminal, along with Moore and Hunt, today.

Ultimately, you compare him to Ejaria today. Night and Day.

He is undroppable. He was under Johnson and unfortunately DH is no different. 

36 minutes ago, Harry said:

Was about to say the same. 
Poor today. And when he’s poor it really shows. But, he’s the only one in the team who ‘might’ create. 
But yes, not good today. 

This, really, is my issue with Pato.

If we're going to play counter, which is likely given our playing staff situation at the minute, do you need a playmaker really?

46 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

He presses well and cuts off passing angles pretty well I would say.  Certainly better than Palmer

Haven't seen any of that in the last three or four, games really. 

Nagy was dead on his feet as soon as we hit HT, Pato gave zero cover to Hunt, whom Adam also had to help cover, for the first 15 minutes after the restart. Made worse by the fact that when Pato had chances (5) to do something with the ball, four of those times he gifted Reading possession in dangerous areas. Bakinson ideally needed to come on for Nagy earlier in the half, and Han for Pato, as Reading were really turning the screw at that point.

1 hour ago, redsocks said:

That's it we loose you lot pick on patto again.get a life.

I don't enjoy 'picking' on a player, but either Holden needs to drop him with these level of performances, or implement him in the advanced role in a 4231 ala the last 20 minutes.

He is not consistent enough for a playmaker role. Let him, if he's going to lose the ball, do it further up the pitch.

Its not Pato that annoys me, its that managers (both LJ and Deano) keep on expecting him to play through these poor runs and improve, when we know from experience this doesn't work.

If it was just when we lose, and he has the occasional bad game, I wouldn't make a thread on it. Fact of the matter is that he's under pressure to be creative in this system when Nagy is the screen and O'Dowda is acting in a Mezzala or Box-to-Box role. We've created a near minimum of opportunities across 5 games now. Only our defence got us those points with three clean sheets, the latter can only do so much when the ball keeps coming straight back at us.

I'd be interested to see which of our players made the most forward passes against Reading, tbh.

Some of these comments are hilarious.

Paterson badly needs a break, he & Hunt have played virtually every minute, but there is literally no one to bring in.

Perhaps Liam Walsh could make himself available once every couple of months to help out? Or Kasey (1 start in 9 games at Swansea) Palmer?

We are asking far too much of the same group & with the exception of Wells, who I think is being under used, there are no serious alternatives.

Massengo came on today, dawdled on the ball too long twice and barely found a man. This is what happens when you have to use players who are nowhere near ready to play.

22 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Harsh. Think he’s had a great season so far, however did look tired today and I would rest him for Bakinson (DM) on Tuesday with Nagy pushing further forward. 

Bobbie, if anyone needs a rest its Adam.

In the last 13 days because of internationals, Nagy has played 5 matches, four being the full 90, and was dead on his feet today.

Speaking of which, Nagy had more touches than Pato even despite being subbed off 20 minutes before the end, and that's even despite not playing well. Speaks volumes imo, it just is not working.

Archived