IGNORED

Paterson

Fuber

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Played well against Watford. Was poor today.

I don't know why Bakinson didn't come on today. At 1-1 I thought bring on Bakinson straight away and go with a double pivot of him and Brunt and try and keep it tight for the rest of the game.

We could have brought on Mariappa too at that point and gone to a 352 or 3412, as Moore and Vyner looked pretty poor in a 2.

Bakinson hasn’t trained. First day out of isolation today . 

Early in the season he scored goals, important goals , and was the only player who would hold the ball and look for a pass . He could go past people break lines etc. For a good part of the season he was our best, or one of our best players. He has dropped off lately and it has been wondered if COD and Pato can play in the same team. Personally I've wanted the extra CMF in for a while. Paterson has play every game , so I''d expect he would be rested soon, problem is COD has played a lot lately. After the last few games I would go COD Tuesday, with Bakinson and whoever else is fit (Brunt, Nagy, HNM) , then rest COD Saturday but stick with the extra CMF. Lets not forget , Pato is still our top scorer ?

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Played well against Watford. Was poor today.

I don't know why Bakinson didn't come on today. At 1-1 I thought bring on Bakinson straight away and go with a double pivot of him and Brunt and try and keep it tight for the rest of the game.

We could have brought on Mariappa too at that point and gone to a 352 or 3412, as Moore and Vyner looked pretty poor in a 2.

Holden said afterwards that Bakinson (who travelled up this morning on his own) wasn’t allowed to play because of concerns over his fitness & has only trained at home.

Sort of wonder why he was on the bench then?

I’m sure if we had our time again Mariappa would have come on at 1-1.

14 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Haven't seen any of that in the last three or four, games really. 

Last 2 games he hasnt but Paterson plays every game.  Hardly his fault if that then causes him to not press as much.

I said Paterson was good off the ball and presses well.  I was talking generally.  If you play a player every 3 days then that player will be less energetic the more games he plays.  

When Paterson isn't tired then he is good off the ball.  That's pretty clear. 

36 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Harsh. Think he’s had a great season so far, however did look tired today and I would rest him for Bakinson (DM) on Tuesday with Nagy pushing further forward. 

Totally agree, Pato needs either a rest or a kick-up-the backside every now and again, otherwise he can go into stroller mode for several games in a run.

Hopefully with a couple of days training behind him Bakinson can resume as the DM with Nagy and COD (who generally showed up more today), combine that with Martin starting to hold up the ball and bring others into play and we might just look threatening again. 

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Holden said afterwards that Bakinson (who travelled up this morning on his own) wasn’t allowed to play because of concerns over his fitness & has only trained at home.

Sort of wonder why he was on the bench then?

I’m sure if we had our time again Mariappa would have come on at 1-1.

Not sure why he was on the bench then, emergencies?
I think it's odd that Mariappa hasn't had some minutes at the end of games. Look at Massengo today, not been given any minutes and really looked like it when he came on. I know it's difficult, but it looks like Holden wants to keep an XI together but you just can't flog them to death. 

26 minutes ago, bris red said:

Ive said it time and time before Pato is good in bursts - you’ll get a run of 2 or 3 brilliant performances out of him and then an equal or longer run of poor performances and then the cycle repeats itself. He is extremely frustrating but unfortunately he is what he is and that is extremely inconsistent.. without any obvious replacements in that creative role i think DH is pretty stuck at the moment - not really left with much choice but stick with him and hope he can play himself back into form again.

The key with Paterson is knowing when he’s gonna have a quiet game and leave him out of the starting eleven.  But that requires a bit of a crystal ball.

Is it a fair comment to say a midfield of Bakinson / Weimann / Paterson got us more out of Pato than Nagy / O’Dowda / Paterson?  Need to balance that with our opponents in that spell, but I can’t help thinking Weimann missing is noticeable as is Bakinson.

Just now, 1960maaan said:

Not sure why he was on the bench then, emergencies?
I think it's odd that Mariappa hasn't had some minutes at the end of games. Look at Massengo today, not been given any minutes and really looked like it when he came on. I know it's difficult, but it looks like Holden wants to keep an XI together but you just can't flog them to death. 

No idea why we included Bakinson if he couldn’t come on.

Massengo was ill last week, he had chest pains, I have no idea how much training he has done since then but he was completely off the pace.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The key with Paterson is knowing when he’s gonna have a quiet game and leave him out of the starting eleven.  But that requires a bit of a crystal ball.

Is it a fair comment to say a midfield of Bakinson / Weimann / Paterson got us more out of Pato than Nagy / O’Dowda / Paterson?  Need to balance that with our opponents in that spell, but I can’t help thinking Weimann missing is noticeable as is Bakinson.

A good point.

Think the bigger impact has simply been the injuries to Mason and Kalas. We're operating more defensively to grind out wins, which we did not have to do to the same extent as recent, as highlighted by Moore and Vyner in the last 20 today.

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

A good point.

Think the bigger impact has simply been the injuries to Mason and Kalas. We're operating more defensively to grind out wins, which we did not have to do to the same extent as recent, as highlighted by Moore and Vyner in the last 20 today.

Mawson especially from a build-up from the back perspective.

I think Weimann’s running is aggressive from a point of dragging player(s) with him, creating space for Pato as opponents see Weimann as a real attacking threat.  Of course Bakinson gives us physicality too.  We had a “light” MF3 today.

But....Pato has to influence more in those quiet games too....he can’t always be reliant on others.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

At least Paterson is good off the ball, pressing etc, even if he has a bad game on the ball.  Palmer is awful without the ball and so a system can break down.  Assume he can still not get in the Swansea team although I haven't checked.  

I haven’t seen Paterson challenge a header or 50/50 in any of the 150 games he’s played in for us. He’s absolutely useless when he plays like today

35 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Bobbie, if anyone needs a rest its Adam.

In the last 13 days because of internationals, Nagy has played 5 matches, four being the full 90, and was dead on his feet today.

Speaking of which, Nagy had more touches than Pato even despite being subbed off 20 minutes before the end, and that's even despite not playing well. Speaks volumes imo, it just is not working.

Which proves Nagy doesn’t need a rest 

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We had a “light” MF3 today.

Not just today.

With luck Bakinson will be available Tuesday, otherwise Brunt has to start. Massengo looked miles off so don't think he will be ready and Nagy won't have a 90 in him. For me COD and JP are not a midfield pairing .
It's starting to feel like damage limitation until we get get some players back.

2 hours ago, Bassomylord said:

Who you going to replace him with there is literally no one ?

I'd put Semenyo in his spot, as he causes problems but at this current moment in time is not the answer up top.

Wells and Martin up top, with Semenyo in behind them doing what Patterson should be doing.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

What exactly proves he doesn’t need a rest?!

The fact he was arguably our best player and was far more involved than Paterson. Some players fitness levels will be higher than others. Some will be able to go a full season without a rest whereas others won’t. If a player continues to perform to a high standard they don’t necessarily need a rest. Paterson’s form has dipped which suggests the time may have come for him being rested/dropped

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

I haven’t seen Paterson challenge a header or 50/50 in any of the 150 games he’s played in for us. He’s absolutely useless when he plays like today

Think what you want, he didn’t arrive from Notts Forest for £200.000 for nothing!

7 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

The fact he was arguably our best player and was far more involved than Paterson. Some players fitness levels will be higher than others. Some will be able to go a full season without a rest whereas others won’t. If a player continues to perform to a high standard they don’t necessarily need a rest. Paterson’s form has dipped which suggests the time may have come for him being rested/dropped

Nagy wasn’t as good as recent games which suggest he might need a rest.  

No central midfielders can play in this shortened season without the need for a rest. 

Genuinely I think I’d rather have COD than JP. COD does some running, challenges for the ball and occasionally gets his head down - albeit his final product is absolute dog shit.

JP just might as well not bother. And for those of you saying he needs a rest, does today’s rest mean he’ll be ready for midweek?

At least we know who Walsh and Williams will replace - if they’re alive. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Genuinely I think I’d rather have COD than JP. COD does some running, challenges for the ball and occasionally gets his head down - albeit his final product is absolute dog shit.

JP just might as well not bother. And for those of you saying he needs a rest, does today’s rest mean he’ll be ready for midweek?

At least we know who Walsh and Williams will replace - if they’re alive. 

It's funny, Paterson started the season really well. It seems since COD has had a proper run, he's gone into his shell. He does go through these spell where he disappears from games, I hoped he'd be rested by now, got to be soon.

I could understand Pato’s attitude under LJ as his and LJ’s were so similar ie happy to be on the pitch but really shone at doing sweet F A!

Today he should have been pulled at half time and told not to bother showing his face for the second half! He and his ego should never be allowed to wear the shirt again! 
We need team players and he is not one! 

Archived