IGNORED

Semenyo is not a striker they score goals

17 hours ago, pillred said:

Was just an example of a player not thought of as a natural striker suddenly coming good, but yes he has been a bit disappointing since, a case of a player just being a good fit at a club? 

This is all very lazy.

At Fulham, Reid plays mostly as one of 3 in a 4 2 3 1 formation behind Mitrovic.  If he'd been on the pitch this season to take penalties when awarded, Fulham would be 2 points better off and he'd have 5 goals. 

He's scored 3 goals in 9 appearances 4 of which were as sub. 

Same number of goals as Tammy Abraham who has started 6 games as centre forward for Chelsea.  

Semenyo looked tired in the Reading match as did one or two others. However he's worth his place as a striker, he will score more as he plays more games and has time to improve. In any case he's got 2 this season already, that's the same as Martin and one more than Diedhiou and has 4 assists (equal top with Martin) so I don't know what this thread's about.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'd definitely agree with those who've said Semenyo would benefit from playing alongside Martin or Wells more than Diedhiou.

Incidentally, I actually thought on Saturday we'd have been more dangerous as a team across the whole game if Martin had played the first 60 minutes and was replaced by Diedhiou for the final 30 than it was the other way around.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Start him on the bench tomorrow. Bring him on with 30 to go. I still think him and Wells could be an excellent duo.

Do you think an option with Semenyo could be in a 3-4-1-2 formation. Play him in front of two ideally Bakinson & Nagy and behind Wells & Martin. Give him license to drift left / right. We’re clearly lacking creativity and just wonder giving him a free role may be worth considering ?

• Like 1

On 28/11/2020 at 15:35, bexhill reds said:

That’s a good call, Semenyo for Pato or COD, I reckon that could work with our system. He’d bit a tad more direct.

I think if he played in midfield he would pick up too many yellow cards because his tackling style is poor. Also we have enough converted forwards in midfield

On 28/11/2020 at 16:32, Tipps69 said:

So are you going to keep repeating yourself every time he doesn’t score? In the hope that you might convince everyone to think you that you might know what you are talking about?

”Not wishing to say I told you so but I told you so!”

Another game and no goals...

Not wishing to say I told you so but I told you so....

2 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Semenyo is our most creative player and is not a striker. I can’t understand why he is being called out for a lack of goals when he is still learning his trade and is still our most creative player from the wing.

Martin is actually a striker and currently offering neither goals or assists.

Semenyo needs to improve his shot selection.  There’s a lot to like in his game, but your teammates will get pissed off if to keep shooting wildly, especially when there are good options on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Semenyo needs to improve his shot selection.  There’s a lot to like in his game, but your teammates will get pissed off if to keep shooting wildly, especially when there are good options on.

One last night was a case in point and probably summed up why he drives you mad. He has a great run, gets to the edge of the box and then blasts wildly over when the ball was a simple pass to an unmarked Wells to his right.

The look on Nahki`s face told it`s own story.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Semenyo is our most creative player and is not a striker. I can’t understand why he is being called out for a lack of goals when he is still learning his trade and is still our most creative player from the wing.

Martin is actually a striker and currently offering neither goals or assists.

Lack (No) of goals = Seymenyo, Martin and COD 3 of our front 4 at one point last night. 3 goals in 80 games....

Hard to my finger out why we don’t score goals....  If only we paid a manger and multiple coaches to work that sort of thing out....

Even wingers have to chip in with at least 6 a season if they can’t then we move them on and find ones who can. Otherwise we will never progress. 

On 30/11/2020 at 09:43, daored said:

Do you think an option with Semenyo could be in a 3-4-1-2 formation. Play him in front of two ideally Bakinson & Nagy and behind Wells & Martin. Give him license to drift left / right. We’re clearly lacking creativity and just wonder giving him a free role may be worth considering ?

He's not a Championship quality 'striker'...full stop.

You can dress him up any way you wish but the harsh reality is.

If we ever have 'striking' options worthy of progression then this bloke doesn't make a seatwarmer.

On 19/12/2020 at 10:26, Lanterne Rouge said:

One last night was a case in point and probably summed up why he drives you mad. He has a great run, gets to the edge of the box and then blasts wildly over when the ball was a simple pass to an unmarked Wells to his right.

The look on Nahki`s face told it`s own story.

He obviously feels under pressure to get a goal .

He needs to chill as he is doing a good job and goals will come.

He is an elegant player to watch and will be a big success. 

• Like 1

Unlucky with the chance blocked on the line, however he was excellent at creating space in congested areas deeper in the pitch, unlocked pockets of space where he could play players through or link play. The lad is about to turn 21, there is definitely a championship player in there if he can compose himself in front of goal rather than go for power. 

• Like 1

Just now, JonDolman said:

Well he played on the wing today. Not sure why he isn't a winger when he protects the full back well, and gets the ball wide and beats players fairly regularly.

I think he is actually underrated by some. Some things he does on the ball is ridiculously good. I think he will go right to the top.

I am sure his finishing can improve. He was very unlucky with that one which was blocked.

Strikers can improve their finishing, especially from his age.

I think back to Luis Suarez in his first season for Liverpool, he missed so many chances.

I am sure there are other examples of players improving massively in their finishing ability. 

Players generally improve in areas of their game as they get older. I don't see why Semenyo can't improve with more experience and more coaching.

Strange comparison. Yes players generally improve but if it gets to a point where its time to say goodbye....not yet....but must improve and quickly.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Well he played on the wing today. Not sure why he isn't a winger when he protects the full back well, and gets the ball wide and beats players fairly regularly.

I think he is actually underrated by some. Some things he does on the ball is ridiculously good. I think he will go right to the top.

I am sure his finishing can improve. He was very unlucky with that one which was blocked.

Strikers can improve their finishing, especially from his age.

I think back to Luis Suarez in his first season for Liverpool, he missed so many chances.

I am sure there are other examples of players improving massively in their finishing ability. 

Players generally improve in areas of their game as they get older. I don't see why Semenyo can't improve with more experience and more coaching.

Wingers get wide and cross the ball. 

I am pretty sure he did not do it once in 90 mins - so does me not a winger either

Just now, JonDolman said:

Goodbye? You would let him go? Don't you think someone so young could improve?

Just the first comparison that came into my head. A top top striker who once missed a lot of chances before improving a lot in his finishing the next season. Not that bad a comparison, as it shows even players who end up world class may have once missed a lot of chances.

If he doesn't improve I would.

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Just the first comparison that came into my head. A top top striker who once missed a lot of chances before improving a lot in his finishing the next season. Not that bad a comparison, as it shows even players who end up world class may have once missed a lot of chances.

Don’t believe he will ever be a top striker.  No evidence of that.

More likely, He will drop down the divisions just like Wes Burns.

We need to replace in January if possible.

8 hours ago, Better Red said:

Another week and no goals....  Not saying I told you so but....

Many on here, myself included, would've been very happy to sell Bobby Reid for £500k or less up until 2017 when he was 24 years of age. Young players need time. What's great about Semenyo is he has the untrainable physical attributes for the modern game. He's fast, athletic, tall and powerful. He has a decent footballing brain too.

Composure and positioning can be trained and generally comes with experience. Semenyo doesn't have a typical academy schooling and it shows at times. It'll come. 

A good comparison is Tyrone Mings. I've heard this from someone who used to coach at Chippenham and knows his family. He's a good comparison as he had a fairly similar trajectory. He was playing non league football until about 19 but had all the physical attributes for the top. Ipswich, and later Bournemouth, identified this. They knew they could train the footballing side, but what he had was the unteachable athletic advantages for the modern game. A few years later and he's a regular Prem player and has England caps. Bournemouth also signed Lloyd Kelly partly based on this who was identified as having perfect athletic/physical attributes for the modern game. 

This desire to say "I told you so" about young players is strange. We've seen it this season with Morrell, Massengo and Semenyo.. it's also starting to creep in with Bakinson. Just give young players time to develop and improve. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 2

On 26/12/2020 at 18:35, JonDolman said:

Yannick Bolasie mark 2 . 

On 30/12/2020 at 08:16, Phileas Fogg said:

Many on here, myself included, would've been very happy to sell Bobby Reid for £500k or less up until 2017 when he was 24 years of age. Young players need time. What's great about Semenyo is he has the untrainable physical attributes for the modern game. He's fast, athletic, tall and powerful. He has a decent footballing brain too.

Composure and positioning can be trained and generally comes with experience. Semenyo doesn't have a typical academy schooling and it shows at times. It'll come. 

A good comparison is Tyrone Mings. I've heard this from someone who used to coach at Chippenham and knows his family. He's a good comparison as he had a fairly similar trajectory. He was playing non league football until about 19 but had all the physical attributes for the top. Ipswich, and later Bournemouth, identified this. They knew they could train the footballing side, but what he had was the unteachable athletic advantages for the modern game. A few years later and he's a regular Prem player and has England caps. Bournemouth also signed Lloyd Kelly partly based on this who was identified as having perfect athletic/physical attributes for the modern game. 

This desire to say "I told you so" about young players is strange. We've seen it this season with Morrell, Massengo and Semenyo.. it's also starting to creep in with Bakinson. Just give young players time to develop and improve. 

Seymeno weekly update on ‘I told you so’ 

Game 20 something goals = 0

I told you so....