IGNORED

Semenyo is not a striker they score goals

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

I agree with people saying he needs time on the pitch and a bit of perseverance - but do you think the Championship is the right place for that?

Ideally for me he'd be at a L1 club (top 6 preferably) and playing most games for them this season.

With a lot of young players I'd agree but for me the key points are:

a) He is already playing most games for us.

and

b) Rightly so. Whether or not he's scoring goals, I think he's in the team for a reason and adding more to our attacking play than most this season. At the moment, with our injuries, I feel he's easily within our best available XI and I'd have him down as a strong case as a starter if all our players were fully fit.

10 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Are you admitting here that you have a desire to say 'I told you so'?

You've completely missed the point or misunderstood the obvious point in my post - give young players time. 

Your point of view is just reactionary and naïve - and that's being kind!

But dare I say right....

9 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

What utter nonsense. Semenyo is probably our most creative spark at the moment. You can see him growing every game - it wouldnt surprise me to see him banging them in once his confidence is up and he has hit the back of the net a few times. 

At the beginning of his career Marcus Rashford was criticized for not scoring and labelled a winger. 

Semenyo is so young it is absurd to label him as you are doing. Its almost like you want him to fail, so you can say "i told you so". Pathetic really

It’s a game of opinions. It’s just my is right at the moment.

If he scores goals I will be the first to come on here I say he proved me wrong.

Just to be clear I don’t want him to fail.  I was saying he will.

I have been waiting about 20 games so far... 

9 hours ago, RedRock said:

Agree, in general, but a very few players are worth persevering with. Semenyo is a possible candidate imo.

The problem with the Bobby Reid example is for every Bobby there are at least forty who still won’t make it, even by the age of 89 and playing every week.

Our player development strategy is not sufficiently ruthless at identifying and rejecting those who are not good enough. This breeds complacency, in turn, that supresses rapid development of player potential imo. 

Agree about development strategy. This crop Is poor.

People are saying Massengo looks a good player. That’s how bad this crop is.

Seymenyo does have something I agree and with better coaches I think he could be a decent player.

But if we are saying 3 goals a season is a good return for a ‘Forward’ is good enough then we are setting out bar to low.

If can get 6 plus then move him on. Same goes for COD not enough goals so get rid. 

Vyner is best prospect at the moment and I get the idea that we would have moved him on 6 months ago. We have a problem with academy and it’s recruitment, retaining poor players and coaching.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Agree about development strategy. This crop Is poor.

People are saying Massengo looks a good player. That’s how bad this crop is.

Seymenyo does have something I agree and with better coaches I think he could be a decent player.

But if we are saying 3 goals a season is a good return for a ‘Forward’ is good enough then we are setting out bar to low.

If can get 6 plus then move him on. Same goes for COD not enough goals so get rid. 

Vyner is best prospect at the moment and I get the idea that we would have moved him on 6 months ago. We have a problem with academy and it’s recruitment, retaining poor players and coaching.

A forward, minimum should be 12 goals imo. 

At the moment, I think Semenyo could be developed to play ‘in the hole’ behind the front attacker(s) personally. He’s raw, unorthodox and has pace, power and a decent skill set.  Could worry and open up defences in that position. 

Presently though, he just doesn’t seem capable of delivering sufficient goals to justify starting in a main attacker role. 

That may come in time, but we can’t waste a goal scorer role to hope/wait for him to push on. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Brilliant goal. Showed what we already know he had; (pace, power and athleticism) and something which we didn’t - composure and finishing ability.

Hopefully this gets the ball rolling. 

Good strikers finish 

Or for his deflectors...... it luckily bobbled in front of him as he ran through and then he scuffed a shot which confused the keeper 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

Good strikers finish 

Or for his deflectors...... it luckily bobbled in front of him as he ran through and then he scuffed a shot which confused the keeper 

He did really well to keep his composure and hold the oncoming defender off whilst picking his spot.. all at pace. 

Massive confidence boost hopefully. You can tell from the noise of the bench and his celebration how much that meant to him and the team.

• Like 1
  • Robin 2

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

He did really well to keep his composure and hold the oncoming defender off whilst picking his spot.. all at pace. 

Massive confidence boost hopefully. You can tell from the noise of the bench and his celebration how much that meant to him and the team.

He’s a good player in the making PF

If we are to push upwards his progress is likely to have a fair part to play (IMHO)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep, cool finish considering the pressure he himself probably felt under. You can tell how much it meant to most of us on here, too.
Fair play to the lad.

• Like 1