IGNORED

Semenyo is not a striker they score goals

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

AS was fantastic today. Made one and scored one, bullied the Boro defence all game and had their RB on toast. Definitely my MoM.

Put another few million on his value………….:cool2:

But Nige said he was just about to take him because his build up play wasn't good enough.

The sage returns ?.

3 minutes ago, Pezo said:

But Nige said he was just about to take him because his build up play wasn't good enough.

The sage returns ?.

Well…… Semenyo was terrific despite playing out wide where imo is not his best position. To me he should play as a central striker but then I’m not the manager of Bristol City.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Well…… Semenyo was terrific despite playing out wide where imo is not his best position. To me he should play as a central striker but then I’m not the manager of Bristol City.

He can do both , which is great

I actually wonder whether long term , or if he steps up a level , he will actually benefit from playing wide in a 3 , making runs and using his power diagonally , out to in may be more fruitful than starting too centrally

However I saw one of his first games for U23s when he came back from Newport and it was clear that two outstanding assets were his ability to roll a defender, and his natural shooting power

His shooting was very wild then , he actually hit balls with too much power as his natural timing hitting a ball gives him excellent power anyway - I think someone has worked on him to take a bit off and concentrate on placement - he has , as I said natural striking power so doesn’t need to work on that

As for turning his man , he may find that slightly harder as the quality of defenders increases but his pace / power is frightening Championship defenders to death , being commented on by opposition fans , and is a problem even for the very best defenders

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

He can do both , which is great

I actually wonder whether long term , or if he steps up a level , he will actually benefit from playing wide in a 3 , making runs and using his power diagonally , out to in may be more fruitful than starting too centrally

However I saw one of his first games for U23s when he came back from Newport and it was clear that two outstanding assets were his ability to roll a defender, and his natural shooting power

His shooting was very wild then , he actually hit balls with too much power as his natural timing hitting a ball gives him excellent power anyway - I think someone has worked on him to take a bit off and concentrate on placement - he has , as I said natural striking power so doesn’t need to work on that

As for turning his man , he may find that slightly harder as the quality of defenders increases but his pace / power is frightening Championship defenders to death , being commented on by opposition fans , and is a problem even for the very best defenders

Despite his youth and inexperience he is already doing just that and the good news is that he’s nowhere near his full potential yet.

Unfortunately for us he’ll move on in the summer so we won’t get to see him at his best and that’s a real pity.

10 minutes ago, Packman said:

I think he wasn't at his best today, especially first half and a little bit wasteful at times. But he scored a fantastic goal and got another assist so I'll take that. 

He's so important to us, shame he was injured at the start of the season.

Not so sure , he’s recently explained how his recovery time gave him time to reflect on and analyse his game ( Hiw mature and intelligent for a young player)

Id also suggest the rehab working the gym has seen him kick on a level physically 

He also spent a lot of rehab time with Andi Weimann and Chris Martin- He recently alluded to how helpful they’d been to him , he didn’t specify about training ground , in game or where but some boring hours in the gym gives a lot of time for talking

So ......:laugh:......I’m not so sure , a twist of fate , and the injury could just be the making of him !

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Despite his youth and inexperience he is already doing just that and the good news is that he’s nowhere near his full potential yet.

Unfortunately for us he’ll move on in the summer so we won’t get to see him at his best and that’s a real pity.

Yes , his understanding of the game and implementation and use of his assets has leapt several levels in a short space of time ( I’ve said in my post above about his injury rehab time)

Shows intelligence , a desire to improve , ........and he’s still learning !

Great stuff

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He was already quality last season. Seeing the improvement from 19/20 season to 20/21 season, I thought he was likely to be a real top player at this level this season.

If he stays fit then he should keep improving as he is only 22, and by next season who knows how good he may be.

I thought that I was the only poster who could see that. I got laughed at when I predicted that he’d score a few goals this season.

On 28/11/2020 at 09:14, Better Red said:

First thing is I am not saying his not worth his place in team at the moment.When I said on here that I just don’t think he will make it as a striker I got pelters. He has had a few good games and I got reminded of my post. But I still stand by my option he won’t make a championship  striker. I said he won’t get 10 goals a season and I stand by that call. Wide in a front 3 yes but he still has to score at least 6 a season. If he can’t then for me then we find someone who can. O’Dowda should have been let go for the same reason 2 seasons ago. So if he ain’t a striker then Wells has to play as one of the front 3. If we play with a 2 then for me it’s Martin. Goals win you games and we have to find the right mix of players that in a attacking 3 who get 10 games plus a season. If we don’t then we wont progress to the next level. So for me it’s simple he plays but if he ain’t scoring then we try someone else. For me it’s a bit like Massengo we all want the youngsters to be the answer and we have to give them time but eventually you have to make a honest judgment. Some times it does not work out. Bakinson is now way ahead of him and that was in just 12 months. Time will tale. I know I will get questioned for this post. I am sure I will be reminded of this post if he starts  to score goals. Hopefully I will. But honestly ask yourself is he a championship striker?

Some posts just don’t stand the test of time! 

Bakinson ahead! Funny old game. 

Thought he was pretty average today despite his goal - put my tin hat on but just being honest.

He’s touch was off today and wasted a few good opportunities to break forward as could not quiet get hold of the ball.

Would have got subbed if did not score when he did.

That said he’s strength is there to see and always look like he can cause trouble when he runs at the opposition.

Good goal although I thought he scuffed  it a bit for the shoot but they all count.

Can he play as a Striker through the middle still not sure consistently at this level time will tell.  

He is still some one I would play wIde in a front three - Yes have said that consistently from the start.

As to step up another level he is not ready he needs to improve he’s touch and decision making before he will be ready for the next level.

Pace and  strength is very important in to days game and he has both.

If I was a prem manager would I take a punt on him for £10/15m - No 

If I was a top championship team would I  take him for £3/5m - Yes

Seven goals so getting closer to the ten so just maybe a new thread…..

• Haha 11
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Thought he was pretty average today despite his goal - put my tin hat on but just being honest.

He’s touch was off today and wasted a few good opportunities to break forward as could not quiet get hold of the ball.

That said he’s strength is there to see and always look like he can cause trouble when he runs at the opposition.

Good goal although I thought he scuffed  it a bit for the shoot but they all count.

Can he play as a Striker through the middle still not sure consistently at this level time will tell.  

He is still some one I would play wIde in a front three - Yes have said that consistently from the start.

As to step up another level he is not ready he needs to improve he’s touch and decision making before he will be ready for the next level.

If you're in a hole stop digging.

5 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Couldn't even manage one compliment, without a little dig. 

Go on, just admit you were wrong. I promise, it'll be therapeutic for you.

Personally I didn't think he'd ever be up to even Championship level, and I am absolutely delighted that he's proven me wrong and continues to do so every week.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Fair play BR. Not quite humble pie but you made some fair observations about his all round game today.

I reckon by the end of the season you might be on the Semenyo bus with the rest of us.

1 minute ago, HappyClapper said:

Fair play BR. Not quite humble pie but you made some fair observations about his all round game today.

I reckon by the end of the season you might be on the Semenyo bus with the rest of us.

Always try to be honest.

I feel that is always not welcomed when you question the players.

If you read the thread I started it with I have always said I liked him ‘but’ I don’t think he will score goals at this level to warrant playing him through the middle.

He is doing he’s best to prove me wrong and I have said as soon as/if he gets 10 I will be first on here to start another thread.

As for MOM today comments- No

Thats not being negative towards Seymenyo it’s just being honest.

Williams and Bentley were different class today and we’re both 9/10 Scott was also very good. 

In fairness to Seymnyo he did have a big impact on the game getting a goal and assist when he is not at he’s best is credit to him.

Again I am sure some will see if different but in all fairness if they do then they just did not go down today or not being honest.

On 13/02/2022 at 13:09, Better Red said:

What judge a ‘Striker’ that would be crazy…

Just to clear it up a ‘Striker’ measurement is goals scored.

Not complicated.

You only bring the other ones in to an argument when the player has not scored enough goals to justify the tag ‘Striker’

It was all my title that you have so clearly responded to.

With both know that Striker are judged on goals.  

So when he scores say 10 goals when can say he is a ‘Striker’ 

When he does I will post a new thread.

Such a negative view. Your man Semenyo was utter quality today. Take him out of the city line up and you have…literally no movement, no pace in the press.

Nobody running back to make interceptions and pressure the opposition into mistakes.

He’s critical to the way we play.

And his goal today was brilliant.

so get off your high horse admit you’re wrong and we can all move on.

• Like 1